Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Ken, knock off work at lunch & make a quick jaunt down to Houston. Catch The Cookers and then come by the Prevent Blindness Ball.

Or maybe just catch The Cookers and head back home....yeah, that's the better idea! :g

Seriously, I did not know that Cecil McBee was 79. Still playing beautifully. All those guys are.

Just got back from The Cookers show in Houston. Looked like a sold out show; theatre held around 1,500. Very strong performance by all in the band. They're a true ensemble - no one gets an inordinate amount of solo time. Billy Harper was a standout, but so were David Weiss, George Cables, Billy Hart and the rest. Cecil McBee took a solo. All in all, excellent show.

Weiss made mention of the terrible weather last night in Denton; he said no one showed up.

I was at last night's Cookers show as well. It was sold out - I put off getting tickets for too long, but scored a pair yesterday afternoon that had been released by season subscribers who weren't attending.

Definitely one of the more impressive shows I've seen in recent memory, with clear appreciation from the hometown crowd for Billy Harper.

I had to laugh when Weiss announced "Croquet Ballet" to silence, prompting him to ask if anyone knew that one, to which a couple of guys went "YEAH!"

February 17, 2014: Peggy Stern, Brass House, Austin

February 18, 2014: John Raymond and Tim Green at Scat Jazz, Fort Worth, February 19 at Dan's Silverleaf, Denton, and February 16 at Brass House, Austin.

February 19, 2014: Kahil El Zabar's Ethnic Heritage Ensemble with Hamiet Bluiett, The North Door, Austin

February 19, 2014: Shelley Carrol at Scat Jazz, Fort Worth

February 19, 2014: Pat Metheny Unity Group at ACL Live, Austin

February 20, 2014: Pat Metheny Unity Group at House of Blues, Houston

February 21, 2014: Pat Metheny Unity Group at House of Blues, Dallas

February 21, 2014: Kahil El Zabar's Ethnic Heritage Ensemble with Hamiet Bluiett, Meca, Houston

February 22, 2014: Charles Lloyd and Gerald Clayton duo at Trinity University in San Antonio

February 22, 2014: Lucky Peterson, Sons of Hermann Hall, Dallas

February 27, 2014: Tutu Jones at Keys Lounge, Fort Worth

March 6, 2014: Buddy Guy, Aztec Theater, San Antonio

March 7, 2014: Peggy Stern, Casa Karen, Austin

March 19, 2014: Kalmon Balogh at Poor David's Pub, Dallas

March 23, 2014: Bobby Bradford, Austin

March 25, 2014: Bobby Bradford, Houston

April 4, 2014: Wayne Shorter, Cullen Theater, Houston

April 5, 2014: San Francisco Jazz Collective, Jo Long Theater, San Antonio

April 15, 2014: Eric Johnson and Mike Stern, Paramount Theater, Austin

April 16, 2014: Eric Johnson and Mike Stern, Granada Theater, Dallas.

April 27, 2014: Bombino, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

May 1, 2014: Lonnie Smith, Donald Harrison, Marlon Jordan, Bernard Allison, NOJHF

May 2, 2014: Pharaoh Sanders, Nicholas Payton, Walter Wolfman Washington, NOJHF

May 4, 2014: Terrance Blanchard, NOJHF

May 15, 2014: Nicholas Payton at Fort Worth Public Library,

May 17, 2014: Jason Moran's Fats Waller Dance Party, Jo Long Theater, San Antonio

May 22, 2013: Bill Frisell's Guitar in the Space Age, Dan's Silverleaf, Denton

June 20, 2014: Charlie Hunter, Jazz in June, Norman, Oklahoma

July 11-12, 2014: Lucky Peterson at Clarence Muse Theater, Dallas.

Edited by kh1958

Just got back from The Cookers show in Houston. Looked like a sold out show; theatre held around 1,500. Very strong performance by all in the band. They're a true ensemble - no one gets an inordinate amount of solo time. Billy Harper was a standout, but so were David Weiss, George Cables, Billy Hart and the rest. Cecil McBee took a solo. All in all, excellent show.

Weiss made mention of the terrible weather last night in Denton; he said no one showed up.

Jeez, did I really say no one? I meant to say or hoped I said almost no one......

Well, that's what happens when you put a microphone in the wrong hands.

It seems we were able to please all the Organissimo board members this time around.

I do want to thank you all for coming out and for saying hello afterwards.

It's always nice to meet you guys.....

There were some special shows this time around........

I was at last night's Cookers show as well. It was sold out - I put off getting tickets for too long, but scored a pair yesterday afternoon that had been released by season subscribers who weren't attending.

Definitely one of the more impressive shows I've seen in recent memory, with clear appreciation from the hometown crowd for Billy Harper.

I had to laugh when Weiss announced "Croquet Ballet" to silence, prompting him to ask if anyone knew that one, to which a couple of guys went "YEAH!"

That's kind of an inside joke with the band and it seems it's turned out to be the truest test of whether or not an audience really knows us (and our history) or not.

For instance, the next night in Detroit, when I announced Croquet Ballet the crowd went nuts like I was announcing Stairway to Heaven to a Led Zepplin audience......

It's old hat to those other guys in the band but to me it really gets me in touch with how much this music used to mean to people (and still does to some apparently/fortunately)

Feb 25, UNT - The Music of Gil Evans with Ryan Truesdell

http://jazz.unt.edu/oneoclock/music-gil-evans-ryan-truesdell

Mixed emotions, to put it mildly (especially about a 5 PM start time?!?!?!?!), but if they should happen to do "The Barbara Song"...hmmm....

Tuesday at 5 in Denton probably rules it out for me, assuming I could overcome my fears.

Mixed emotions, to put it mildly (especially about a 5 PM start time?!?!?!?!), but if they should happen to do "The Barbara Song"...hmmm....

Tuesday at 5 in Denton probably rules it out for me, assuming I could overcome my fears.

Fears of...bad music??? And what is UNT trying to do with a 5:00 start on a Tuesday - limit their audience as much as possible?

Fears of...bad music??? And what is UNT trying to do with a 5:00 start on a Tuesday - limit their audience as much as possible?

Yes, I dislike the style of the UNT lab bands (please pardon me any alumni). I'm still bitter my only opportunity to see Gerry Mulligan was with the One O'Clock Lab Band.

So if it were Gil Evans charts by the Maria Schneider orchestra, by the Vanguard's Monday night orchestra, by the Mingus Big Band, sure I'm up for it, but the One O'Clock lab band, probably not.

Oh, I'm an alumni, even played in some of those bands, and still have some strong dislikes along those lines. But...I'm still contemplating attendance, just to hear the writing in person.

Truesdell's own album showed (imo) that if you play the parts well enough, the writing stands on its own, quite apart from feel (and really, abandon hope, all ye who enter here in hopes of anybody getting a big band to feel like it used to, especially on Gil's stuff...hell even his last bands didn't try to go there!). I had some reservations after the first few listens to Truesdell's album, but finally got over them...those charts are just amazing on their own, just play the parts well (no small feat, that, especially in terms of balance) and they speak, no, SING. Anything else is gravy.

I still have reservation, but it's such good writing, and the one thing you can count on with the 1:00 is that parts will be played well. I'm looking at it from that standpoint, Not expecting gravy, just some really choice meat.

But 5:00 PM Tuesday is one of the most WTF? times for something like this I've ever run across.

I haven't heard the Ryan Truesdell album, but you've convinced me I might want to. I did hear the Gil Evans group twice at Sweet Basil, though post-humously a couple of years after his death and under the direction of Miles Evans--both times were very pleasing musical experiences--one of those times when the music starts and immediately you know you've found the right place to be.

Dude, "Senior" (aka over 55) admission is only &8.00, and it looks like beaucoup seats remain available...I do harbor fear of disappointment (or even rage, I've been known to have my rage stirred by events in Denton over the years...) at musical lies being told , but then again, those times are over, most of the guys are dead who can provide instant in-the-flesh rebuttal, and sometimes you just need to get out of the house and hear some good scores played decently enough. Hell, many symphony orchestras charge hundreds of dollars for that, this is just eight! :g

And oh yes, the Truesdell album is a definite winner, what it lacks in "feel" (which is not all that much, really) it more than makes up for in being perhaps/probably the most clearly detailed recording of Gil Evans music I've ever heard. I don't have all that good a stereo, and I was just breathstruck by how much detail got captured. You really can hear every little thing, every little thing. And there are many!

Bradford's Quartet will feature Ingebrigt Haker Flaten, Frode Gjerstad & Frank Rosaly.

Same group that will be in Austin on Sunday, correct?

For that matter, where is the Austin gig? Is it still on?

Yes, it's the same group, but I don't know any details about the Austin gig. So I guess they're playing Austin, coming up to Dallas, and then coming all the way back down to Houston in 3 days!

Between Interstates and/or Southwest, hey, road band, old school!

I'm otherwise obligated on Monday, so the Sunday Austin gig is the one I want/need to make, but...no listings online anywhere. Maybe it fell through? Hope not.

Also, just found out the program for the UNT/Truesdell/Gil thing:

Fist Set:

The complete Miles Ahead Album

Second Set:

Selections from "New Bottle, Old WIne"

That's some hella good writing to hear for $8.00. 5PM is starting to look ok enough.