Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not Austin or Dallas, but in the neighborhood and worth the trip to San Antonio this weekend - Saturday, August 26th - The McCoy Tyner Septet - with Donald Harrison, Billy Harper!, Walace Roney, Steve Turre, Charnet Moffatt and Eric Gravatt - McCoy Tyner in San Antonio!

charles

Dammit! Can't make it. :rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad:

If you can't make this show (I can't either...grrrr) - as mentioned earlier in this thread, the Tyner Septet will also be performing in Austin on 18 November, which is a Saturday. That show is at U.T. Hogg Memorial Auditorium, a part of the UT Performing Arts Center program.

• 1 month later...

Oct 19 - Stubb's - Dwight Yoakam

Oct 22 - Zilker Park - a little known up-and-coming band called the Rolling Stones. :P

Oct 22 - Antone's - Clifford Antone's Birthday Tribute (Gary Clark Jr., Pinetop Perkins, Double Trouble, James Cotton, Hubert Sumlin)

Oct 31 - Stubb's - Trey Anastasio (I know Phish used to do some eventful Halloween shows in the past, wonder if Trey will do one as a solo act)

Nov 2,3,4 - The Backyard - Widespread Panic

Nov 18 - Hogg Auditorium - McCoy Tyner Septet

• 3 weeks later...

not jazz per se... but world class improvised music in Austin and San Antonio....

No Idea Festival of Improvised Music

:. austin .:.

November 18th

Women & Their Work

1710 Lavaca St

November 19th

Little City Downtown

916 Congress Avenue

November 20th

Okay Mountain Gallery

1312 East Cesar Chavez Ste.B

.:. san antonio .:.

November 21st

Salon Mijangos

1906 S. Flores

$8-15 per night

festival pass $20

doors at 7.30pm

music at 8pm

fourth annual no idea festival 2006

annette krebs . guitar, electronics . berlin

bhob rainey . saxophone, electronics . boston

chris cogburn . percussion . austin

dave dove . trombone . houston

heather johnson . visual art . nyc

jeffrey allport . percussion . vancouver

liz tonne . voice . boston

nick hennies . percussion . austin

rob cambre . guitar . new orleans

suzanne thorpe . flute, electronics . oakland

. and others tba .

• 2 months later...

...a couple of upcoming things in Austin:

Jan 14 - Stanley Clarke/George Duke Project (One World Theatre)

Jan 24 - Jeff Tweedy (Hogg Auditorium)

Jan 25 - Ottmar Liebert (Paramount)

Feb 2 - Raul Malo (La Zona Rosa)

Feb 10 - George Winston (Paramount)

Feb 16 - Big Head Todd & the Monsters (La Zona Rosa, only for people who aren't scared of big heads)

Feb 25 - Eddie Palmieri (One World Theatre)

Mar 7 - Global Percussion Masters (Zakir Hussain, Giovanni Hidalgo, Terry Bozzio) (One World Theatre)

edit - I tried to get by the Continental Club to see the Mike Flanigin (soulstream) B3-Trio over the holidays, but ended up with too many family commitments. One of these days I plan to catch them - might be a fun hang for any of the Austin area board members!

Edited by Aggie87

I tried to get by the Continental Club to see the Mike Flanigin (soulstream) B3-Trio over the holidays, but ended up with too many family commitments. One of these days I plan to catch them - might be a fun hang for any of the Austin area board members!

Love to see you drop by sometime Aggie87! I'm up there with Denny Freeman this fri/sat. Sundays are usually pretty slow, but I have a nice band that includes Phillipe Vieux on Baritone sax who's just a killer (he's toured with Horace Silver and also Eddie Palmieri). So come by and say "hi" sometime!

Edited by Soul Stream

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SF Jazz Collective will be in San Antonio on 16 March, and then in Houston the next night!

I just purchased my ticket for the San Antonio show on Friday evening. If anyone else is going, and would like to meet up prior to the show for a drink or a bite to eat, let me know!

SF Jazz Collective will be in San Antonio on 16 March, and then in Houston the next night!

I just purchased my ticket for the San Antonio show on Friday evening. If anyone else is going, and would like to meet up prior to the show for a drink or a bite to eat, let me know!

Cool, Ag. Obviously I can't be there, but let us know what you think of the concert.

We'll compare notes ... :cool:

Cool, Ag. Obviously I can't be there, but let us know what you think of the concert.

We'll compare notes ... :cool:

If you REALLY liked that show you saw the other night, you'd fly down to San Antonio tomorrow.... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

reminder for tomorrow night's William Parker Quartet show in Austin!

also coming up in Austin:

7 April - Yo La Tengo, at Stubb's (I'd LOVE to see these guys!!)

24 April - Ravi & Anoushka Shankar, at the Paramount Theater

27 April - The Thing with Joe McPhee, at the Victory Grill

4 May - Son Volt, at Stubb's

11 May - George Clinton, at Stubb's

17 May - Leo Kottke, w/Tom Rush, at the Paramount Theater

15 June - Norah Jones, at the Backyard

1 Sep - Trio Los Panchos, at the One World Theatre

Edited by Aggie87

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder for Dallas area folks:

I'll be at the Sammons Center in Dallas on May 2. Joining me is Shelley Carrol, Lynn Seaton and Andrew Griffith. I should have a few comps if anyone's interested.

On May 1, I'll be at NTSU giving a piano master class (all can attend) and performing at the Student Union at 9:00pm. Only $5 cover.

Any recommendations for dinner and breakfast in Denton?

Barbeque in Dallas for lunch: Sonny Bryan's or Sammy's?

TexMex in Dallas: Mia's?

For Barbeque, I recommend Rudy's on I-35 in Denton. I'm not a fan of Sammy's. I worked nearby for about five years and would be perfectly happy to never go there again.

For Tex-Mex, a few suggestions would be R.J.'s in the West End, Blue Goose on Lower Greenville, Matt's by the Lakewood Theater, or Rafa's on Lovers Lane and the Tollway.

Barbeque in Denton - Metzger's, hands down. It's in a gas station (Fina, iirc) @ 35 & 380, NW corner. I leave early for road gigs that go up that way just to make a stop. Try the links and be ready.

Opinions vary widely on this, but for me the Denton Rudy's is just so-so. The one in Waco, otoh, rocks.

Tex-Mex in Dallas - avoid the chains & big names unless there's no choice. Matt's is a good choice.

Breakfast in Denton - Jim's Diner if it's still around.

Any recommendations for dinner and breakfast in Denton?

Barbeque in Dallas for lunch: Sonny Bryan's or Sammy's?

TexMex in Dallas: Mia's?

I'm from Denton....don't know what's left there, but I always LOVED Denton County Independent Hamburger on the Town Square. Also, I know it's fast food...but I'm a sucker for Taco Bueno, which they have in Denton and Dallas, but none down here in Austin.