• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

We could do it at this:

Epistrophy Arts is proud to celebrate Ruby's 20 years of legendary Barbecue with a live performance by Scandinavian Jazz Trio The Thing

Ruby's 20th Anniversary Celebration 1988-2008

with The Thing

Mats Gustafsson (Sweden) - baritone sax

Ingebrigt Haker-Flaten (Norway) - contrabass

Paal Nilssen-Love (Norway) - drums

Fri Nov. 14th

doors 7PM

media inquiries 517-2248

@ Ruby's BBQ (512 West 29th Street, just off Guadalupe.) rubysbbq.com

very limited $10 advance tickets available at Ruby's BBQ.

limited press passes available

"Tapping into rock's most primal forces with a fire and fury that's something to behold" MOJO

"The sheer power they can generate from wood, metal, breath and muscle is stunning" BBC

"The Thing Convert nouveau punk and vintage garage-rock into a roaring scream up, but the sheer energy and love of the music keep gimmickry at bay" UNCUT

Free Jazz ecstasy meets Garage Rock Intensity. Scandinavian action jazz ensemble The Thing in a rare intimate performance following the release of their limited edition box set 'Now and Forever' and in anticipation to their upcoming Steve Albini produced release 'Bag it'. The Thing blends the spontaneity and imagination of classic free jazz with the emotional immediacy of underground garage rock. With acoustic traditional jazz instrumentation, the three young Scandinavians can match the power of the fiercest rock band. The Thing's repertoire consists of 60's era new-jazz (Don Cherry, Ayler, James Blood Ulmer, David Murray) and reinterpretations of underground rock classics (PJ Harvey, White Stripes, Sonics, The Ex, Lighting Bolt). This is no watered down jazz-rock. The Thing take the most uncompromising aspects of both genres and turn up the heat. Tearing down the walls that separate free jazz/punk rock/garage/noise/improv etc.with wicked glee, The Thing shine a searing hot light on the idiocy of getting hung up on categories.

Individually and collectively, The Thing's genre defying spirit has led to collaborations with a wide range of today's most creative musicians including Joe McPhee, Thurston Moore, Otomo Yoshihide, Ken Vandermark, Peter Brotzmann and many others. Saxophonist Mats Gustafsson is a frequent collaborator with Sonic Youth and is featured on their recent release entitled _Andre Sider Af Sonic Youth_ with Japanese noise legend Merzbow.

Since 1999, Ruby's Barbecue has been a regular supporter of Epistrophy Arts. During the Thing's first visit to Austin in 2004 the musicians were so impressed with the food and hospitality that they adopted the iconic Ruby's T-Shirts as their stage uniform. Since that time, The Thing have worn their Ruby's shirts onstage in hundreds of concerts across 3 continents. Epistrophy Arts and The Thing are proud to help celebrate the legacy of a great family-owned Austin institution and their generous support and advocacy for the arts. Ruby's makes Austin a great place to live!

*Only 4 U.S. dates on this tour - http://www.paalnilssen-love.com/band_thething.html

And check out an interview with Thing saxophonist Mats Gustafsson

http://www.bagatellen.com/?p=1969

Reviews of the CD "Action Jazz" by The Thing.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=22619

http://www.dotshop.se/ds/release.php?code=STSJ123CD

About Epistrophy Arts:

Epistrophy Arts is a grass-roots organization dedicated to presenting the finest in improvised and adventurous music in Austin Texas. Since January of 1998 we have presented over 60 concerts with leading international figures in improvised music and modern jazz. Epistrophy Arts is funded and supported in part by individual contributions, the City of Austin through the Cultural Arts Division and by a grant from the Texas Commission on the Arts and an award from the National Endowment for the Arts, which believes that a great nation deserves great art.

For more information on the artists:

http://www.ingebrigtflaten.com/

http://www.paalnilssen-love.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mats_Gustafsson

http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

David Newman has cancelled, and the "Texas Tenor" is now Red Holloway.

Not much on the horizon, but at least UTD comes through with a jazz concert or two every year:

TRIBUTE TO THE TEXAS TENORS

Series: Jazz

Date: Friday & Saturday, January 30 & 31, 2009

Time: 8:00 p.m.

Venue: Conference Center

Ticket Prices: $25 each concert, or both for $40

Free to UTD Students with UTD Photo ID at the venue box office the night of the event. Discounts are available to faculty, staff, alumni, retirees and students. Please review our ticket policy or call our box office at 972-883-2552 for details.

The School of Arts & Humanities and the City of Richardson join forces to present a high-quality two-day jazz festival, centered on the historical elements of jazz in the Dallas area. The “Texas Tenor” style of saxophone playing describes a player with a very “big” sound playing a somewhat blues-oriented style. Buster Smith is said to have pioneered the style by playing his tenor with a baritone sax reed, thereby giving him a bigger sound. Texas saxophonists associated with the “Texas Tenor Sound” include Buster Smith, David “Fathead” Newman, James Clay, Booker Ervin, John Hardee, King Curtis, Illinois Jacquet, Arnett Cobb and Marchel Ivery. The Woody Herman Orchestra, directed byFrank Tiberi will headline the concert Friday night. The Texas Instruments Jazz Band, directed by Paul Westbrook, will open. On Saturday night, Young Texas Tenor saxophonists from Dallas/Ft. Worth will open for one of Texas’ most famous tenor saxophonists, David “Fathead” Newman, with local sidemen.

At Scat Jazz Lounge in Fort Worth:

SUN, FEBRUARY 1

8:00 PM

Helen Sung

Pianist Helen Sung has been called “one of the brightest emerging stars in jazz today.” Her music is described as “marvelously imaginative,” “astonishing;” and her CD Helenistique (Fresh Sound Records) was praised as “…one of the year’s most exciting listens.” (JazzTimes). With a new CD (Sungbird, after Albéniz) on Sunnyside Records and winning the Kennedy Center’s 2007 Mary Lou Williams Piano Competition, good things are happening! This will be a truly magical evening with a great talent making her Scat debut.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

www.epistrophyarts.org

Ab Baars Trio & Ken Vandermark

Friday April 10

Austin's Historic Victory Grill (1104 E. 11th St.)

One of the celebrated players on the Dutch jazz scene, saxophonist Ab Baars is a member of the famed ICP Orchestra. He has collaborated with Anthony Braxton, Roscoe Mitchell, George Lewis, Roswell Rudd, Steve Lacy, Sonic Youth and many others. Ab's trio, with bassist Wilbert de Joode and drummer Martin van Duynhoven, has been together for 17 years and has released numerous acclaimed CDs including a new collaboration with saxophonist/clarinetist Ken Vandermark called Goofy June Bug (Wig). A fixture on the Chicago music scene for almost two decades, Vandermark has earned wide critical praise for his past work in bands like NRG Ensemble, the DKV Trio, and Witches and Devils. Currently, the bulk of his work is directed toward the Vandermark 5, the Peter Brotzmann Chicago Tentet, Sonore and Free Fall. Acknowledged for a huge sound that synthesizes bop, free improv, and blues elements, Vandermark is a recipient of the prestigious MacArthur "genius" Award.

Peter Brötzmann, Nasheet Waits, Eric Revis Trio

Thursday April 30

Austin's Historic Victory Grill (1104 E. 11th St.)

German saxophone titan Peter Brötzmann is a pioneer of the European avant-garde. For this group's first North American tour he will be joined by 2 of the finest players on the contemporary scene. Peter Brötzmann's sound is one of the most distinctive, life-affirming and joyous in all music. "The huge, screaming sound he makes is among the most exhilarating things in the music," writes Brian Morton, Nasheet Waits is a musician who has an intuitive understanding of the complex rhythmic requirements of modern drumming. His interest in playing the drums was encouraged by his father, legendary percussionist Frederick Waits. Besides experience with various bands led by Andrew Hill, Waits is a member of Jason Moran's Bandwagon and Fred Hersch's trio, and Richard Cook calls the young drummer "... a terse, unflappable player who sounds remarkably mature and seasoned. Waits has the dark, copper-bottomed sound of his creative ancestors." San Antonio bassist Eric Revis is one of the most in-demand bassists in the contemporary scene and has played extensively in the ensembles of Branford Marsalis and Jeff 'Tain' Watts. Ted Panken of Down Beat writes, "Revis has a huge sound, unshakable rhythmic confidence and a penchant for cohesive, logical basslines."

These are prime cuts. Also pianist Burton Greene will be playing duos with clarinetist Perry Robinson for two nights, April 23 and 24th. Details to follow as soon as I get more of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI.... I was playing at a place here in Austin called The Continental Gallery on South Congress several nights a week until the city closed it down almost a year ago. Well, last weekend we opened it back up, this time for good. My organ trio plays there Friday thru Sunday night from 10 til 2.... and Wednesday evenings 8 to 10. (Nice to have a place to keep the B and leave it again!). Fridays and Saturdays are basically funk nights, while Sundays are jazz. I'm gonna do Wednesday evenings there with a bass player and sax added...doing some early 70's organ stuff that had electric bass (stuff I always dug but couldn't really do playing organ bass...like later Groove Holmes, Johnny Hammond Smith...that stuff).

Here's a link to my myspace page in case you ever want to check my calender..., but I'm always there for those days mentioned above... www.myspace.com/mikeflanigintrio

Edited by Soul Stream

Just an FYI.... I was playing at a place here in Austin called The Continental Gallery on South Congress several nights a week until the city closed it down almost a year ago. Well, last weekend we opened it back up, this time for good. My organ trio plays there Friday thru Sunday night from 10 til 2.... and Wednesday evenings 8 to 10. (Nice to have a place to keep the B and leave it again!). Fridays and Saturdays are basically funk nights, while Sundays are jazz. I'm gonna do Wednesday evenings there with a bass player and sax added...doing some early 70's organ stuff that had electric bass (stuff I always dug but couldn't really do playing organ bass...like later Groove Holmes, Johnny Hammond Smith...that stuff).

Here's a link to my myspace page in case you ever want to check my calender..., but I'm always there for those days mentioned above... www.myspace.com/mikeflanigintrio

Great news SS! I hope to visit Austin sometime soon and hear you play.

Thanks a lot Free! Love to see you...bring the horn! And yeah...Bill Frisell is playing downstairs at the Continental Sunday 8 to 10...I'm upstairs at the Continental Gallery that same night from 10-2. Pretty good odds Bill might come up and hang out for a while after his show with the Owner, since they're good friends.

Thanks a lot Free! Love to see you...bring the horn! And yeah...Bill Frisell is playing downstairs at the Continental Sunday 8 to 10...I'm upstairs at the Continental Gallery that same night from 10-2. Pretty good odds Bill might come up and hang out for a while after his show with the Owner, since they're good friends.

Sounds like a potential serious hang. Wish I could be there!

Jimmie Vaughan is playing with my organ trio tonight and tomorrow night here in Austin at The Continental Gallery...starts at !0 o'clock, for any of our Austin area board members...come on down!

How were the shows, Mike? I would have loved to have been there - I was in Austin on Friday, but had family commitments.

Jimmie Vaughan is playing with my organ trio tonight and tomorrow night here in Austin at The Continental Gallery...starts at !0 o'clock, for any of our Austin area board members...come on down!

How were the shows, Mike? I would have loved to have been there - I was in Austin on Friday, but had family commitments.

They were really, really a blast. The Gallery only holds 49 people...so it was like having Jimmie Vaughan play in your living room. Sounded great too...organ, drums, guitar and tenor...It's got great acoustics up there so people were blown away to be that close and hear him in that environment. Greg Piccolo from Roomful of Blues played sax, and that was my first time playing with him...man, too much fun! We'll do it again soon and I'll let you know :tup