son's new gear

Robert J

This relates to an earlier post where I asked for info about Randall amps. Thanks everyone.

For my son's 11th birthday we promised to allow him to go electric. He's really been coming along with close to 3 years private study. His man axe is a Baby Taylor. So with some of his birthday and paper route money, plus a top off from his parents, he's now a proud owner of an electric guitar and amp.

The guitar is a Godin Detour, new in the Godin line. A step up from the SD - it's a double cutaway solid-body and has 2 humbucker pickups. I thought they were Seymour Duncan, but I could be wrong. I know SD makes them for Godin.

The amp is amazing for its price. 30 watts of really clean sound. Plus the built in OD and effects. It also has a pedal switch, CD ins, an effects return and a headphone out.

Of course my son is thrilled. He’s upped the daily practice from 20 minutes to around an hour. And hearing feedback emanating from the hands of one of my offsprings has been a lifelong dream. I think his rap fascination will feel some tension from the other stuff he does in his lesson. But he’s a good kid, I put up with the rap he plays (on CD), and we try to identify any guitar lines or melodies (if there is one) on songs he likes.

I got a bit of a deal on these from the music store I used to work at.

That looks like an AC DC - "Shook Me All Night Long" G chord!

He looks very comfortable with the guitar, a natural rocker. Look out ladies!!

Yeah, it's nice that he's throwing in that d note on the b-string with the thrid finger. Do it, do it!

Hey thanks for all the replies. Mr Kirn - been awhile! The good looks comes from his mother, believe me.

That's funny you guys can spot a G chord like that. He's doing some real tunes like Linkin Park "In the End" and some rap tune that does "the "Crazy Train" riff - got me to introduce him to Randy Rhodes. There's one cool book he uses called "You're in the Band" (Willis Music) kind of an Abersold for Rock that really works well.

He's already starting to talk like a rocker. After one of his lessons he said to me: "have you heard of this guitarist called Jerry Garcia?" He heard some story about Jerry damaging his finger (?) and was excited.

Soon he'll be into my vast LP collection for guitar... I hope. Zappa, Steve Vai, Jeff Beck, Al Di Meola, Yardbirds, Zep, Sabbath, etc etc etc. Wait for the jazz though.

Anyhow - just happy he's so into it and progressing so well. His younger sister (7) takes piano, and though she's got a great ear, can play "Louie Louie" chords in a few keys and can improv on a pentatonic scale, she needs me to be there when she practices. I (sadly or proudly) have done nothing for my son. He just practices, maybe asks me a couple of things, but figures it all out himself. He has a cousin who is 14 and plays drums. In fact she has a Roland - V drum kit so they can jam. The place where he takes his lessons has a "Band Chops" course, where in addition to private lessons, you get 1 hour a week to work in a band setting, with a pro teacher to work on repertoire, ensemble playing, recording, etc. We'll see.

Edited by Robert J

• 2 weeks later...

(Love the green walls too)

That was his selection. We told him that it may be very very bright for the swatch he chose but....

I started playing when I was twelve. Didn't have any formal lessons, but literally slept with that damn thing. Had an original Crate amp (looked like a crate and louder than sin), and a Japenese Les Paul copy, Tara guitar.

First songs:

Lola

Tie Your Mother Down

Stairway (of course)

Fly By Night

to name a few

This was the seventies in Flint Mi. And there were a ton of really talented musicians about town. Their nephews, little brothers, etc.. soon became my buds as I would ride my bike five to ten miles to go to their houses. Of course, I couldn't take my guitar, so we would just swap back and forth. Learned a lot that way.

One kid had a Nugent fixation and had something like four Quad Reverbs (or Super Sixes) in his basement all daisy chained and all on ten. I seriously could hear him a mile away as I approached on my bicycle.

Music had so much joy then. Innocent and naive we would jam like mad with barre chords and pentatonic noodlin's (it was the seventies).

I didn't get into jazz until many years later when I first heard Coltrane's ballads.

I was floored. Still am.

Anyhow, your son's picture brought back some wonderful memories. And the hair style and wrist band of his really conjured up a few images of my buds of yesteryear. :) Handsome kid indeed. At any rate, he is very fortunate to have such a supportive father. You have every right to be proud.

Greg

very very cool...i wished to have such great gear when i was 11 yrs old....woohoo! :tup

Congrats to your son!

It reminds me on times (10yrs ago) when i was 16yrs old playing in a school-rock-band (see movie-clip).....i finally had enough money for a fender strat, a small 15W Ampeg amplifier (from the 70s...solid state, no tubes) and a cool overdrive-pedal......i worked 3 yrs to get all the stuff together

Click here! (QUICKTIME REQUIRED!)

greetz

Paco