Phineas Newborn

Hardbopjazz

The Newborn TV appearance is part of the Jazz Scene USA package...the one hosted by Oscar Brown Jr. I have this on VHS. Not sure if it's made it to DVD as yet, although several of these have. My recollection from here at work is that he was paired with someone who should have been better than he was... maybe Jimmy Smith. During the brief interview that Brown does with each of the guests who appear on Jazz Scene it seems to me there's a discussion about Newborn's ability to play straight or play an entire song (both the right and left handed parts) with just his left hand. If that's the case, then the discussion has advanced itself beyond monsta chops to the unreal category.

Newborn had a brother, Calvin, who was a fair jazz guitarist. I have an old RCA Bluebird CD with both of them on it.

Now the last question. I've heard his name pronounced like it sounds, but also like Phinas. Anyone know which is correct?

Up over and out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only slightly off-topic. I did a search on Netflix for Phineas - hoping that the TV show might be available - and it gave me this: "Breakin' (1984)"

The credits included THIS - Phineas Newborn III

Interesting ...

pn.jpg

His son? :unsure:

I would THINK so.

... and does HE have a son - "IV"?

The Newborn TV appearance is part of the Jazz Scene USA package...the one hosted by Oscar Brown Jr.  I have this on VHS.  Not sure if it's made it to DVD as yet, although several of these have.  My recollection from here at work is that he was paired with someone who should have been better than he was... maybe Jimmy Smith.  During the brief interview that Brown does with each of the guests who appear on Jazz Scene it seems to me there's a discussion about Newborn's ability to play straight or play an entire song (both the right and left handed parts) with just his left hand.  If that's the case, then the discussion has advanced itself beyond monsta chops to the unreal category. 

Jazz Scene USA

B000059H9S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"World of Piano" is the one to get. The Miles Davis rhythm section of the day is on one side, the Cannonball Adderley on the other. One of the top trio albums ever.

Interesting what Yanow says about it on AMG:

Phineas Newborn's Contemporary debut (he would record six albums over a 15-year period for the label) was made just before physical problems began to interrupt his career. This CD reissue has two trio sessions, and finds Newborn joined by either bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Philly Joe Jones or bassist Sam Jones and drummer Louis Hayes. Actually, the accompaniment is not that significant, for the virtuosic Newborn is essentially the whole show anyway. He performs five jazz standards and three obscurities by jazz composers on this superb recital; highlights include "Cheryl," "Manteca," "Daahoud," and "Oleo."

• 5 months later...

The Newborn TV appearance is part of the Jazz Scene USA package...the one hosted by Oscar Brown Jr.  I have this on VHS.  Not sure if it's made it to DVD as yet, although several of these have.  My recollection from here at work is that he was paired with someone who should have been better than he was... maybe Jimmy Smith.  During the brief interview that Brown does with each of the guests who appear on Jazz Scene it seems to me there's a discussion about Newborn's ability to play straight or play an entire song (both the right and left handed parts) with just his left hand.  If that's the case, then the discussion has advanced itself beyond monsta chops to the unreal category. 

Newborn had a brother, Calvin, who was a fair jazz guitarist.  I have an old RCA Bluebird CD with both of them on it.

Now the last question.  I've heard his name pronounced like it sounds, but also like Phinas.  Anyone know which is correct?

Up over and out.

fin..........e..........as

Now the last question.  I've heard his name pronounced like it sounds, but also like Phinas.  Anyone know which is correct?

Up over and out.

fin..........e..........as

Actually both pronunciations are correct. His given name is Phinus Newborn, Jr. I have a 78 by his father's band that spells the name this way. When Jr was in high school, he got tired of the girls teasing him with "fine ass" so he changed it to Phineas. I heard this from his brother Calvin. Fellow Memphis musician James Williams told me in the early 80's that local musicians still called him "Phinus".

Guest akanalog

i think newborn was great. a lot more depth than just a technical speedster.

i am sure it has been mentioned in this thread previously, but roy haynes "we three" is as good as people say. one of my favorite pianio trio albums.

I own A World Of Piano and Here Is Phineas. he was what you might call a technical speedster. I hear art tatum and oscar peterson in his playing(mostly oscar).......

What sets him apart from Peterson?

to me his lines and breaks are very sharp and edgey and somewhat percussive(although not to the extent of mccoy) whereas oscar's are more flowing and bluesy

with slight tinges of stride...............

• 1 year later...

I am a big fan of Phineas Newborn, who IMHO is one of the giants of jazz piano. I have the following records and I love them all:

Here Is Phineas (Collectables)

Fabulous Phineas (BMG)

Plays Again! (Blue Moon) with an italian rhythm section, sound is mediocre

World Of Piano (OJC)

The Great Jazz Piano Of Phineas Newborn Jr. (OJC)

Phineas, The Newborn Touch (OJC)

Harlem Blues (OJC)

Please Send Me Someone To Love (OJC)

As sideman:

Roy Haynes, We Three (OJC)

Howard McGhee, Maggie Is Back In Town! (OJC)

Teddy Edwards / Howard McGhee, Together Again! (OJC)

Most if not all of them. Phineas is a bad MF. I would perhaps go for Roy Haynes's "We Three" first.

I first heard Phineas on 'Jazz Interpetations of Harold Arlen's Music of Jamica' in the RCA 'Living Stereo' series from Spain-it was in a cut-out bin for $5, so I went for it, and I have enjoyed it quite a bit. Just recently, I picked up the RVG of Haynes' 'We Three' and I agree that this is a nice disk. I don't have much else to go on, but I think it showcases his talent pretty nicely here.

I am a big fan of Phineas Newborn, who IMHO is one of the giants of jazz piano. I have the following records and I love them all:

Fabulous Phineas (BMG)

World Of Piano (OJC)

Harlem Blues (OJC)

As sideman:

I have all those OJCs plus "Back home", another with Ray Brown & Elvin Jones, which I like a lot. He is also on Teddy Edwards' "Good gravy" - OJC, which is a lovely album.

I also have him on an LP called "Down home reunion" by Young men from Memphis, UA. This is with Frank Strozier, George Coleman, Booker Little, Louis Smith, Calvin Newborn, George Joyner and Charles Crosby. The version of "After hours" on this is damn near as good as the one on "We three".

Lots of people remark on Newborn's speed, but for me he's one of the greatest pianists for plain ole blues and slow, funky ballads.

MG

Newborn was an outstanding pianist. I have just about everything he recorded. His recordings on Contemporary as both leader and sideman are marvelous as is the Roy Haynes "We Three" session. His trio date on Atlantic is also one to have.

The RCA, & Roulette recordings are good, but not up the standard I mentioned above.

I also have these CDs by Phineas as leader.

Plays Again - Blue Moon

Look Out -Phineas Is Back - Pablo

C Jam Blues - Paddlewheel

Tivoli Encounter - Storyville

Solo Piano - 32 Jazz

I had a couple of CDs by Phineas on Steeplechase but disposed of them as I found the playing and sound quality to be sub-par.

Jazz Scene USA

B000059H9S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Youtube has a few excerpts from this

Oleo

Lush Life

Theme For Basie

The New Blues

Left Hand Blues (answering David's question)

Dmitry bought a copy of Phineas' Rainbow a couple of winters ago as he was passing through Richmond, VA in his new car.

Personnel includes: Phineas Newborn, Jr. (piano); Calvin Newborn (guitar); George Joyner (bass); Philly Joe Jones (drums).

Recorded between October 16, 1956 and October 22, 1956. Originally released on RCA (LPM 1421). Includes liner notes by Bill Coss.

Review: Down Beat (1/02, p.54) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...A beauty..."

Hell of a review, eh? I wonder what's hiding under those ellipses?

Does anyone know what his "mental illness" was about? I just finished listening to Marian McPartland's show featuring Phineas. Apparently it was recorded in 1987 which would be only 2 years before he died. Perhaps the most striking thing is his voice when he speaks. Did he always sound like that? As Marian says on the show, he hasn't lost his chops, but there is a certain sloppiness to his playing, typically for someone who doesn't work much. But he plays some beautiful things, including a left-hand-only version of Embraceable You.

• 2 months later...

Fabulous Phineas (BMG)

World Of Piano (OJC)

Harlem Blues (OJC)

As sideman:

Added Look Out - Phineas Is Back! to my collection: a wonderful album. Now I am searching for a decently priced copy of Back Home.