Phineas Newborn

Hardbopjazz

Never hear much talk about him here or anywhere. What's your thoughts on Newborn?

I was watching a Ahmad Jamal DVD. During the iterview, Ahmad praised him, So I went out and bought "While my Lady Sleeps." His sound kind of reminds me of an earlier Ahmad Jamal. Any other session worth checking out?

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most if not all of them. Phineas is a bad MF.

That about says it all.

My first exposure to Newborn was hearing him with Teddy Edwards and Howard McGhee on 'Together Again'.

Good shit top to bottom.

BW, I was just going to say.........get THIS!

d52820d6787.jpg

... but you beat me to it. B-)

Most if not all of them. Phineas is a bad MF.

That about says it all.

My first exposure to Newborn was hearing him with Teddy Edwards and Howard McGhee on 'Together Again'.

Good shit top to bottom.

BW, I was just going to say.........get THIS!

d52820d6787.jpg

... but you beat me to it. B-)

Together again. That's 2 to put on my list.

FWIW, Hardbopjazz, if you haven't checked out eMusic yet, you can get most all of his albums there, including Roy Haynes' "We Three".

At $10/month for 40 tunes, it's a quick and cheap way to build up your Phineas collection. If you only do the free 50-song trial, you could get most of these for nuthin' !

I like 'Harlem Blues' too. But then I also enjoy most of Phineas Newborn albums.

A very inventive musician with dazzling technique.

There was a reunion of the 'Harlem Blues' trio (Brown, Elvin) on the 1976 Contemporary label again 'Back Home'. Just as good.

A suggestion (and favorite Newborn album): check the 'Solo Piano' album on Atlantic.

FWIW, Hardbopjazz, if you haven't checked out eMusic yet, you can get most all of his albums there, including Roy Haynes' "We Three".

At $10/month for 40 tunes, it's a quick and cheap way to build up your Phineas collection. If you only do the free 50-song trial, you could get most of these for nuthin' !

I'm not a fan of downloading MP3's. I like the whole package with linner notes. I'll just go out any get them. Thanks for the infor on emusic.

Superb pianist! Took some heat from some critics because of his prodigious technique, but I think he backs it up with great ideas and powerful swing. Made a series of great albums for Contemporary (all available on OJC); also recorded for RCA, Atlantic, Pablo, & Roulette.

I heard a few years ago that Capitol was going to reissue the two Roulette albums on one CD, but AFAIK it hasn't happened.

Shanachie has released a great TV appearance he made in the early 1960's on VHS, don't know if this has made it to DVD yet.

I had a double of the two Roulette albums years ago and although I generally enjoy Phineas I didn't think too much of them so they did not find a permanent place in my collection. I'd sure like to hear them again to see if my opinion is the same.