A bit of input needed

My label does a modest amount of business via Mastercard and Visa. My bank is changing "service providers" and the proposed fees seem to be more than I wish to pay. Not a huge problem 'cept they want me to sign a 3 year commitment. I'm considering dropping the service and using PayPal instead.

I am looking for feedback about this choice. Thanks.

Both the percentage and transaction fees are cheaper with PayPal (as I read the info on their site).

The new bank card service has a monthly minimum (payment to them) of $15 and a $.50 fee per transaction charge on top of their percentage. It'd be a "no brainer" to try it but I certainly don't want to sign a 3 year contract. I have about 4 months a year without any transactions and that is $60 down the drain for me.

Guest Chaney

I prefer using PayPal as I then have the option of removing the money directly from my checking account rather than using a credit card -- whether through PayPay or without -- and paying later.

I'm also more likely to impulse buy when PayPal is an option.

Best is paying by check as there's no fee to you, Chuck. Are checks best for you?

The only reservation that someone might have, if they do not have a PayPal account, is they may not take the time to sign up just for one purchase.

This is the only potential drawback. Paypal's 2.9% + .30 sounds like it will be cheaper if business stays the same.

I've used PayPal for years. For the consumer, it's an easy way to transact business. I've never had a bad experience with them, although I believe there have been some glitches for others.

Chuck, from your financial perspective, there's no doubt that taking checks is the best way to go. From the buyer's perspective, it's not such a good thing as there's a 7-10 day wait before a check will clear. I suppose you could assume that everyone who buys from you is good for their commitment and ship as soon as you receive an order, but all you have to do is get stiffed a couple of times and that wouldn't sound like such a good idea. Is there any way to beef up the shipping so that once a check clears, the merchandise will get to the consumer very quickly? Not sure if that would make sense from a "your cost" perspective, but it would take some of the sting out of the inherent delay when payment is made by check.

Frankly, I'd go the way that's best for you cuz you're a fellow board member and by all accounts, a pretty good guy. But, given that you're most likely looking to appeal to a wider potential audience than just those on this board, I'm not sure there's really a right or a wrong way to go.

Is there a minimum commitment associated with the use of PayPal? Guess if not, you could try it and see how it works. Then those who wanted to use PayPal could, but those who want to maximize the return on your investment could elect to pay you by check.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I like Paypal just fine- if the Visa/Mastercard option isn't there, that's no problem for me. If it costs more to have Visa/Mastercard and you don't do a tremendous amount of sales that way, there's no big loss. If someone really wants a disc, they'll go with whatever way they have to go to pay for it. I suspect that many of Chuck's customers fall into that category.

I've used Paypal only as a buyer, and never had any problems. Most, if not all, of my Paypal purchases were from sellers on this board, so that probably helped. B-)

I was going to become "verified" on EBay, but I was initially very nervous about linking my bank account to paypal. While searching for more info about paypal, I came across this site: Paypalsucks.com.

While it seems that the number of people (both buyers and sellers) that have problems with Paypal is probably very small relative to the number of transactions handled, this site certainly raises some disturbing issues.

Again, I have no experience with them as a seller, but things like this may be a useful reference for other options.

I've used Paypal only as a buyer, and never had any problems. Most, if not all, of my Paypal purchases were from sellers on this board, so that probably helped. B-)

I was going to become "verified" on EBay, but I was initially very nervous about linking my bank account to paypal. While searching for more info about paypal, I came across this site: Paypalsucks.com.

While it seems that the number of people (both buyers and sellers) that have problems with Paypal is probably very small relative to the number of transactions handled, this site certainly raises some disturbing issues.

Again, I have no experience with them as a seller, but things like this may be a useful reference for other options.

I spent a couple of days on the net researching Paypal and discovered some (all?) the sites bitching about them ultimately led to companies wanting to service my MC/Visa charges.

If my research is wrong, I'll welcome the info.

I spent a couple of days on the net researching Paypal and discovered some (all?) the sites bitching about them ultimately led to companies wanting to service my MC/Visa charges.

If my research is wrong, I'll welcome the info.

I doubt that it's wrong -- just wanted to pass that along, in case you hadn't already seen it.

Checks and Paypal are my two favorite payment options, speaking as a buyer.

I've not very likely to give out my credit card number to just anybody (though in your case, Chuck, that certainly wouldn't be a problem). But if you were just some random eBay seller I didn't know (are barely knew), there isn't a chance in hell I'd give you my credit card number, unless I had a whole bunch of previous buying experience with you.

For all their supposed problems, Paypal's benefits are pretty nice -- in having a way to pay for things, without having to give the world my credit card number.

(Still, I don't trust Paypal enough to give them my bank account numbers - so I guess I'm just a bit of a paranoid kind of guy. :ph34r: )