mosaics at deepdiscountcd.com

I just went to their site (to deepdiscountcd's site), and I did a quick search on the phrase "Blue Note", thinking that might turn up a few Mosaic titles, and found they have the Blue Mitchell set. :blink: (But it was the only "BN" Mosaic title I could find.)

But. then I did an 'advanced search' on the label name "MOSAIC" and found all these (but no Blue Mitchell was listed - ????)

1 BEIDERBECKE, BIX/F TRUMBAUER/J ( 1 albums )

2 BOBBY HACKETT ( 1 albums )

3 EDDIE CONDON ( 1 albums )

4 FOUR FRESHMEN ( 1 albums )

5 HAMILTON QUINTET ( 1 albums )

6 JOHNNY HODGES ( 1 albums )

7 KID ORY ( 1 albums )

8 KRUPA, GENE/HARRY JAMES ( 1 albums )

9 MILDRED BAILEY ( 1 albums )

10 PRIMA, LOUIS/WINGY MANONE ( 1 albums )

11 REINHARDT, DJANGO/QUINTET ( 1 albums )

12 SARAH VAUGHAN ( 1 albums )

13 VARIOUS ARTISTS ( 2 albums )

14 VENUTI, JOE/EDDIE LANG ( 1 albums )

15 WILSON, TEDDY/TRIO ( 1 albums )

16 WOODY HERMAN ( 1 albums )

In any case, what's the deal here??? Are Mosaic sets really available at some sort of discount from a 3rd party source???

(Or are they really not cheaper?? (meaning cheaping that buying direct from Mosaic) - I haven't done the math yet.)

They appear to be definitely cheaper--the Hodges set, which sells from Mosaic for $96 plus shipping, is $80+free shipping at Deep Discount. However, I would use caution until people post positive reviews of this shop--I think have heard that people have problems with backordered discs which take forever to arrive.

There are a few titles that don't show up with the advanced search described. Try putting in "Mos" instead of "Mosaic"; I think that gets just about all of them, including Blue Mitchell and Stuff Smith... You might also try an album name of "Complete ", which many Mosaics are.

I've ordered a few times at deepdiscountcd.com and can recommend them. They have a good customer service, and promptly react to emails.

However it does not appear from their catalogue if a CD is in stock. I've ordered some CDs that showed as being backordered after I made the order. Most were shipped after some time, but a few CDs (OOP) were canceled.

What does it mean if they have a Hodges set at $80? Does it mean that Mosaic has sold it to them for a cheap price. I can't see that but anything is possible or does it mean that they've gotten outside of the normal channels of trade? If so, is there a question of it's legality?

There was some discussion on the old BNBB about deepdiscount.com. It seems they dropped the Mosaic items from their database soon there after there was some inquiries. I was ready to order the Sonny Stitt set but the set disappeared from their site. Although I have never used their site, I was told by somebody who said he was lucky enough to pick up the Sara Vaughan Mosaic set at a great price a couple months later.

Has anybody purchased a Mosaic set from Deepdiscountcd ?

I've purchased other cds / dvds / box sets from them before.

The Gene Krupa / Harry James set is priced at $94.86. This could be right, because I also saw the Mosaic set at a local record store for $80. So they are making some profit on this item.

I assume these are slow movers that Mosaic is selling to retailers at reduced prices. Mosaic probably doesn't want the public to know about these deals. :rolleyes:

My rule of thumb is, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is just that. There's got to be a catch here somewhere

This is generally true, but last year I came across an out of print Ellington Capitol Mosaic at salemusic.com. It was discounted from the original price, to make the deal even less believable. I took a chance anyway and about a week later it arrived on my porch.

Maybe clandy44 will luck out--it'll be interesting to see.

I can't remember if the Django is one of the sets that Mosaic released for retail sale. It seems as if it's the only one they list as in stock though.

I contacted Mosaic earlier this week with no response. I decided to take a shot and order the Bix Trum Tea set and see what happens. I have my doubts but you never know. They say it will ship in about 10 days as it's a non stock item. My guess they'll cancel the order.

I ordered the Hackett, Vaughn and Prima/Manone from them and they arrived fine and were numbered. Took awhile but I was in no hurry

Interesting. I guess it's for real. I wonder if Mosaic's trying to clear out some shelf space--a lot of good releases are coming up. In some ways, perhaps, the deepdiscount sale takes the place of the 10% off sale Mosaic ran last year.

Edited by montg

I hope someone didn't complain to Mosaic (again) and force Deepdiscountcd to remove the sets- that was a good thing going.

The booklets were numbered so Mosaic had to know about them. And when I compared the numbers in the booklet of sets bought from deepdiscountcd to ones I bought from Mosaic they were the same penmanship- this assuming that someone from Mosaic numbers the booklets.

They were legit sets as far as I can tell- they had to get them somewhere.....and if they wish to sell them cheaper than Mosaic then that's their choice. I'm glad they offered cheaper sets- I'll save money anyway I can.