Legacy reissues July 26

cayetano

From Alan's web: http://jazzmatazz.home.att.net/upcomingjazzreleases.html

NEW Art Blakey - Drum Suite (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

NEW Bob Brookmeyer - Bob Brookmeyer & Friends (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

NEW Stan Getz - The Best of Two Worlds (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

NEW Dexter Gordon - Manhattan Symphonie (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

NEW Ahmad Jamal - The Legendary Okeh & Epic Recordings (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

NEW Gerry Mulligan - Jeru (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

NEW Woody Shaw - Stepping Stones: Live at the Village Vanguard (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

— includes bonus material

NEW Horace Silver - Silver's Blue (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

¿any comments...?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time!!!! This is stuff that should have been reissued in the US in definitive editions 20 years ago. So much is long-awaited - the Gordon, the Jamal, the Shaw - my next question is whether any others will have additional material. I've got almost everything already in LP or import CD, but if you're offering bonus tracks on something like Drum Suite, I'm there!

Mike

Great news! I've been wanting some of these for a long time. I wish Dave Brubeck's "Compadres" (w/ Mulligan) was included. But perhaps next time.

What is "Drum Suite" like? Is it a usual Messengers album, or is it one of those all drums albums? I could not find any description on AMG.

Edited by Bol

I've never heard the Brookmeyer or Getz or Gordon.

FWIW, Lon, its one of the few Dex-with-Cables CDs I've retained. B-)

And I know you like Cables more than I do ;)

Is there any indication that alternates or unissued material will be included in these?

The Brookmeyer has always left me a little indifferent. Not too terribly so, though.

The Dex is one of his finest albums, period.

The Shaw is gonna have to have a boatload full of new material. Just HAS to. I can feel it in me bones.

The Getz...I dunno, didn't do too much for me at the time. We'll see.

Jeru ain't bad. Mulligan w/piano (Tommy Flanagan, iirc). Proceed accordingly.

The rest of it is no-brainer stuff AFAIC.

I have the Brookmeyer and Friends on a French Columbia and highly recommend it.  The friends are Stan Getz, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Elvin Jones.  One could do a lot worse than hang out with that kind of company. :rolleyes:

...and Gary Burton.

This is a very good side- highly recommended!

And the Woody Shaw!! Hope they include a buttload of extra stuff with that one!! :g:g

Edited by Free For All

Lon beat me to it.

I'm sure there will only be ONE bonus cut on Stepping Stones - 'Escape Velocity', which was on Woody III and not in the Mosaic box. This means that the odds of Woody III coming out intact are slimmer now.

Drum Suite is a mystery. One side was a half-session of percussion-related stuff. The other half was extra tracks from the sessions for the Hard Bop album. If they put Drum Suite out, the whole Hard Bop album (plus a Gershwin Medley that was on the potpouttri album Originally) would be candidates for bonus tracks.

Let's check my iTunes library real quick...

The Hard Bop album (5 tracks) + the quintet half of Drum Suite (3 tracks) + the Gershwin Medley = 65+ minutes. I'm sure the percussion half is more than 15 minutes (I'll check downstairs later), so it won't work.

I have a French pressing of Drum Suite and a Japanese of Hard Bop, so I'm only missing a CD version of the Medley.

There's no real solution to this: if you put the entire Hard Bop session (9 tracks) on one CD, the three Drum Suite percussion tracks are orphaned. But if you want to put Drum Suite out as it first appeared with bonus tracks, you have to leave out one or two tunes.

Two CDs are needed: Drum Suite as it appeared with no bonus cuts, and Hard Bop as it first appeared with only the Gershwin Medley as a bonus.

The reissue list does not mention the Hard Bop LP...

Bertrand.

P.S. The listing at ejazzlines shows that the first side of Drum Suite is 18 minutes. So the total would be about 83 minutes.

Edited by bertrand

The first post in this thread does not mention bonus tracks for Drum Suite, so the discussion above is kind of moot...

... except, I just remembered there are a couple of other orphan tracks on Columbia: the 6/25/56 session with Ira Sullivan (2 tracks).

So here is the correct way the entire Messengers Columbia stuff should be reissued:

1) The Jazz Messengers album (with Byrd and Mobley) which has a few bonus cuts and alternates. This was done properly in the late 90s.

2) Drum Suite + Gershwin Medley

3) Hard Bop + 2 tracks with Ira Sullivan ('L'il T' and 'The New Message').

Instead, we will get Drum Suite, probably with no bonus tracks. The problem can still be solved if Hard Bop is later reissued with three bonus tracks, the medley and the tracks with Ira Sullivan. Since my Japanese Hard Bop has no bonus tracks, I would buy this version if it were to materialize. Anyone have an in at Sony?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Until someone comes back with concrete info courtesy of Sony, it's all speculation. Until the Legacy reissue of The Jazz Messengers, no one knew about some of those bonus tracks. Why couldn't such a thing happen again with Drum Suite?

As for Stepping Stones, the band was recorded over two days at the Vanguard. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that something other than Escape Velocity could be added. Think of the Dexter Gordon Live at Carnegie that came out MUCH expanded. Am I wrong in remembering that there was talk (with Cuscuna as source?) about an expanded Stepping Stones a number of years back?

As for Manhattan Symphonie, I'd be quite happy with the straight album, but discographies list several CBS sessions with unissued stuff, including "Secret Love" from the same quartet session as the issued "As Time Goes By". I'd have to check, but I'm not sure we've seen all the stuff originally on Great Encounters - some became the Carnegie record, some were bonus tracks on Sophisticated Giant.

Mike

NEW Ahmad Jamal - The Legendary Okeh & Epic Recordings (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

NEW Woody Shaw - Stepping Stones: Live at the Village Vanguard (Columbia/Legacy) July 26

I'll probably get most, if not all of them - the Jamal is long overdue and it's really great they do this one at last. All legal issues settled, after the Argo was reissued, it seems.

The Silver has two unissued tracks in the discographies ....

The Gordon I have long wanted on CD.

As most Woody Shaw fans will have the Mosaic, no reason to reissue Woody III - nice to get the live tracks.

¿any comments...?

Whoo-fuckin'-hoo!!! Now I can finally do my Woody "Live in the Late Seventies" program.... have the high notes, but I've been holding out for STEPPING STONES.

Whoo-fuckin'-hoo!!!

What's with the Dex title? I've heard mixed things... I'll get it nonetheless. Re: Jamal, is that the same material that's in the Mosaic PIANO MOODS box?

Hell, I'll probably buy 'em all.

Edit: after reading your guys' comments, I'm thinking that it must be another Dex from the Columbia period that I've heard mixed things about.

Edited by ghost of miles

Yes. This info from my database has incomplete issue information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 25, 1951

Label: Columbia

Ahmad Jamal (ldr), Ray Crawford (g), Ahmad Jamal (p), Eddie Calhoun (b)

a. CCO5288-4 The Surrey With The Fringe On The Top - 02:49 (Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein II)

Portrait CD: RK 44394 - Poinciana (1989)

b. CCO5289-2 Will You Still Be Mine - 02:41 (Tom Adair, Matt Dennis)

c. CCO5290-2 Rica Pulpa - 02:31 (Eliseo Grenet)

d. CCO5291-1 Perfidia - 02:54 (Alberto Dominguez, Milton Leeds)

Unknown percussionist plays shaker on c.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: May 5, 1952

Ahmad Jamal (ldr), Ray Crawford (g), Ahmad Jamal (p), Eddie Calhoun (b)

a. CCO5337-1 Aki And Ukthay (Brother And Sister) - 03:04 (Ahmad Jamal)

b. CCO5338-2 Billy Boy - 02:37 (Traditional)

c. CCO5339-3 Ahmad's Blues - 02:53 (Ahmad Jamal)

d. CCO5340-1 A Gal In Calico - 02:34 (Leo Robin, Arthur Schwartz)

All titles on: - Portrait CD: RK 44394 - Poinciana (1989)

Date: October 25, 1955

Ahmad Jamal (ldr), Ray Crawford (g), Ahmad Jamal (p), Israel Crosby (b)

a. CO53895 Perfidia (Alberto Dominguez, Milton Leeds)

Epic LP 12": LN 3212 - The Ahmad Jamal Trio

b. CO53896 Slaughter On Tenth Avenue - 04:50 (Richard Rodgers)

c. CO53897 Old Devil Moon - 03:43 (E. Y. Harburg, Burton Lane)

d. CO53898 Black Beauty (Duke Ellington)

e. CO53899 Don't Blame Me (Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh)

f. CO53900 Rica Pulpa (Eliseo Grenet)

g. CO53901 Autumn Leaves [aka Les Feuilles Mortes] (Joseph Kosma, Jacques Prevert, Johnny Mercer)

h. CO53902 Crazy He Calls Me - 04:57 (Carl Sigman, Sidney Keith Russell)

i. CO53903 They Can't Take That Away From Me (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)

j. CO53904 It's Easy to Remember - 03:55 (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart)

k. CO53905 Squeeze Me (Fats Waller, Clarence Williams)

l. CO53906 Something To Remember You By (Arthur Schwartz, Howard Dietz)

m. CO53907 Poinciana - 03:33 (Buddy Bernier, Nat Simon)

n. CO53908 The Donkey Serenade (Chet Forrest, Bob Wright, Rudolph Friml, Herbert Stothart)

o. CO53909 Love For Sale (Cole Porter)

p. CO53910 Pavanne - 04:24 (Morton Gould)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike