Carmell Jones Pacific Jazz 45

Dan Gould

I found a website listing a Carmell Jones/Harold Land PJ 45, "Blues March." Checking the Mosaic Select, I saw that "Sad March" appeared on the Remarkable Carmell Jones album, so I emailed the store and they confirmed that its a Carmell Jones composition. I wrote back that it must be a mistake on the label, that "Sad March" somehow became "Blues March" and now they've responded by saying "definitely Blues March."

Is it possible that the group recorded "Blues March" for a single release? I'm thinking that the guy has no idea what "Blues March" sounds like, he's just saying that the label definitely says "Blues March" but I figured I'd put it up here and see what you folks know.

Thanks

I snagged the 45 on eBay a few months back. The label does say "Blues March" but attributes the tune to Carmell. It also says "From LP album PJ-29 THE REMARKABLE CARMELL JONES."

I've been meaning to compare this side (2:43) to the "Sad March" on the LP, but don't have the time today. I've always secretly hoped this was a different take, but I doubt it. I'll report back.

There was an edited version of the song on a double LP Pacific Jazz anthology which contained (mostly) edited versions of material from their whole catalog to that point. ("Prime Cuts?" Early '60's.)) My introduction to some good music, and I always enjoyed getting the original albums and hearing what I'd missed.

There was an edited version of the song on a double LP Pacific Jazz anthology which contained (mostly) edited versions of material from their whole catalog to that point.  ("Prime Cuts?"  Early '60's.))  My introduction to some good music, and I always enjoyed getting the original albums and hearing what I'd missed.

THE Jones " Blues March" is indeed an edited version of " Sad March"

I don't have the 45 but do have the double LP described by DMP and strongly suspect the 45 is the edited track from it.

What was the "b" side of the 45?

The "b" side, I'm gonna go fishin'.  Just a guess but the Lord entry seems to suggest it.

Actually, according to the Carmell site Mike Fitzgerald linked above, I'm Gonna Go Fishing is the A side, "Blues March" was the B side.

Strange too that the site lists "Sad March Part 1" and Sad March Part 2" as the other 45s that were issued from The Remarkable Carmell Jones. Maybe they stuck one of the two Sad March edits onto the flip side simply because they'd already edited it down?

Maybe they changed the title so that it wasn't clear that they were selling two 45s but only three tracks, so people would buy the "Fishin" 45 and think they were getting a new song?

PJ had all kinds of crazy stuff out back then. I dont have it anymore, but i had what i remember was an EP of the Gerald Wilson band rehearsing tunes from either the Moment Of Truth or Portraits date. I dont remember now if there was a complete song on the EP or not. I wish i still had that.

Im think it was a rehearsal. I kind of remember a track where you hear Gerald say "reeds,take it from letter B",or something to that effect. Then you hear the reed section alone playing down that section. I think he may have stopped them,explained something and they go again. Remember now, these are forty some years ago memories.

For the guys with the discos,is there any mention of a Gerald Wilson EP?

From Bruyninckx:

Lew McCreary (tb) Dave Dyson (b) replace Robinson, Vinnegar, Bud Shank (fl-1) added and Modesto Duran out

Los Angeles, January 8, 1964

Aram Pacific Jazz PJ80, CDP7.93414-2

Caprichos (1) - , - , A-100

Eric - , - , B-100

Note : Entire session on Mosaic MD5-198 (CD). Pacific Jazz PJ80 = ST80.

Pacific Jazz A-100/B-100 is a 45 -33 RPM edited single with studio chatter and section rehearsals. The master tape of these rehearsal sequences are lost.

• 1 year later...

The Jones " Blues March" is indeed an edited version of " Sad March"

The Lonehill Jazz set "The Complete Harold Land/Carmell Jones Quintets"

includes Blues March ("First time on CD!"), which is indeed just an edit of

Sad March. They claim the piece was written by Benny Golson anyway...

Idiots.