Is there a new Star Wars movie coming out?

I couldn't tell by the fact that everywhere I look, there's some sort of advertisement. From M&Ms to the NBA Play-offs to fastfood to video games to drinks to everything in between.

Today while I was working, there was a package of Kudos on the editing table. It was the Star Wars edition and it actually said on the back... I'm not kidding...

BRING BACK BALANCE TO THE FORCE!

Find the Kudos with no chocolate and you could win a vacation for four!!!

(here's the kicker)

The Dark Side has stolen the chocolate from Kudos!

:rolleyes:

............. :rolleyes:

........................... :rolleyes:

How utterly ridiculous is that?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Star Wars sucks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Star Wars sucks.

I've seen only the first Star Wars film. I mean the first one. The one that was originally released in 1977. It seemed good when I was eleven years of age. I've lost interest in the Star Wars saga ever since.

I actually have to admit that I am one of those weird guys that likes the most recent two compared to the earlier three. I never got excited about those, but I was a movie snob then; if it was popular I convinced myself I didn't like them. Really haven't revisited them either.

I like the sort of "kindler, gentler, less epic" feel of the last two, bad acting and scripting aside (the first three had bad scripting really, just better acting probably). And the look of the movies is much nicer.

Looking forward to this new one to just be over with the damned series! What little marketing side line stuff I've seen has churned my stomach too; I avoid seeing this stuff as much as possible.

Edited by jazzbo

I've got the polar opposite opinion of Lon on this one.

There were qualities that made Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back cool which were lost because the third installment was totally geared toward children. Among those cool qualities--aliens and droids made noises unintelligible to the audience yet the characters understood them completely. Aliens and droids were constructed models, not flimsy, less-than-believable CGIs. Arms were getting hacked off by light sabers left and right, bounty hunters were getting smoked by guns under the table, and some of the dialogue was reasonably funny...

All in all, there was a harder edge to the first two movies. The cutesy little Ewoks were the beginning of the end, Jar-Jar Binks an insult to injury.

Not to knock anybody's opinons here obviously. But to me, they made one movie called Star Wars in the 70's. It was a good movie. After that they just made replican'ts. :g

P.S-not a big Star Wars fan. I know Luke, the Princess, RTD2 and C3PO. Don't even remember what Harrison Ford's character was called. SW and Jaws began the sequel-ization of hollywood which we're still paying the price for with movies like Legally Blonde 2. Uggg.

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but the new movie is getting rave reviews. More than a few critics have claimed its the best film in the series since "The Empire Strikes Back", and are hailing the return of the more old school aspect of Star Wars. I, for one, am very excited to see this movie and will be attending the midnight showing tomorrow night.

The fun thing about Star Wars is the trashiness of the whole thing. If you follow the principles as layed out in the aesthetics of bad taste, you just have to love the series ... every darn minute of it.

A viewing of the Star Wars series should definitely be followed by repeated viewings of such classics as The Blob (the original, please), Plan 9 from Outer Space and other gems of popular American filmmaking. I admit that Star Wars pales in comparison, but at times it comes damn close.

At the end, check out the all-night fireplace program which should be on/rerun on some channel.

I've got the polar opposite opinion of Lon on this one.

There were qualities that made Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back cool which were lost because the third installment was totally geared toward children. Among those cool qualities--aliens and droids made noises unintelligible to the audience yet the characters understood them completely. Aliens and droids were constructed models, not flimsy, less-than-believable CGIs. Arms were getting hacked off by light sabers left and right, bounty hunters were getting smoked by guns under the table, and some of the dialogue was reasonably funny...

All in all, there was a harder edge to the first two movies. The cutesy little Ewoks were the beginning of the end, Jar-Jar Binks an insult to injury.

Couldn't agree more, Jon. SW and Empire are superb films, and Lucas "lost it" in the generation gap that followed.

But the latest one - I saw it last week - is pretty darn good; the best since Empire. I'm sure it won't appeal to those who detest the SW series - so I won't bother recommending the flick to non-fans - but the fans should eat this one up. :tup

I'm not a big Star Wars fan, to say the least.

Empire Strikes Back (the second one) is the only halfway decent film in the series, and the Ewoks were a ripoff of H. Beam Piper's Fuzzies.

Of course, my kids WILL be seeing the new one. :rolleyes:

Anyone going to see Star Wars for the dialogue is missing the point...

No, of course not... it's just that it was SO bad in the first two prequels that I had a hard time enjoying the "spectacle" aspects.

Is the Anakin-Obi duel really 12 minutes long?

Edited by ghost of miles

The fundamental flaw was the introduction of pop culture into the movies. It's out of place and doesn't belong. The canteen band in the first movie was about as much as I could take - and even that wasn't really the stuff of today, because it was swing, not funk, R&B - like what has been put into the revised third movie. I have blocked out a lot of the last two movies, though I did see a bit of the fourth movie on TV a few days ago. Two-headed sportscasters? Give me a break. That's just stupid and juvenile. Lucas is so concerned with updating his movies - yet he puts in stuff that just immediately removes the magic and dates them. The past two movies will never be in the same class as the first two. The third seems to be worse now (another one that was on TV recently) - I don't remember it being quite that bad in the theater, but it was a long time ago, in a..... Oh enough.

Mike

The fundamental flaw was the introduction of pop culture into the movies. It's out of place and doesn't belong. The canteen band in the first movie was about as much as I could take - and even that wasn't really the stuff of today, because it was swing, not funk, R&B - like what has been put into the revised third movie. I have blocked out a lot of the last two movies, though I did see a bit of the fourth movie on TV a few days ago. Two-headed sportscasters? Give me a break. That's just stupid and juvenile. Lucas is so concerned with updating his movies - yet he puts in stuff that just immediately removes the magic and dates them.

Mike,

Yes! My wife & I were just talking about the two-headed sportscaster scene from PHANTOM the other day, for the very reasons that you mention. If you ever catch JEDI on the new DVD re-issue, the music from the early Jabba scene has been amped up to the point of absurdity.

A fair number of reviews for SITH now over at Rotten Tomatoes.