Is there a new Star Wars movie coming out?

Anyone going to see Star Wars for the dialogue is missing the point...

No, of course not... it's just that it was SO bad in the first two prequels that I had a hard time enjoying the "spectacle" aspects.

Gotcha. I was playing Phantom Menace for the kids a few weeks ago and I had forgotten just how awful parts of that film are. The kid who plays young Anakin is embarrassingly bad, and both Jar-Jar and Watto are undermined by their goofy voices. It really ruined the film for me, despite some impressive action set-pieces.

Is the Anakin-Obi duel really 12 minutes long?

Might be, but the sequence is intercut with some other stuff, so it's not like we actually see them spar for that long.

Seriously, there are some fairly long stretches of Sith that are dialogue free (or at least minimal), so that's a plus right there. There are some talky scenes as well, mostly of exposition and politics. There's an incredible (and dark) section towards the end that's almost operatic in style - reminded me of The Godfather of all things. But then there's the "lovey-dovey" stuff between Anakin and Amedala... :blink:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone going to see Star Wars for the dialogue is missing the point...

Its nice that someone realizes this.....

And to anyone that is complaining about the new trilogy, keep in mind that it is made for a younger genaration. Lucas himself said Star Wars has too fanbases...the older, Gen X folks like myself who loved the original trilogy, and the younger kids now. As much as we complain about two headed sports anouncers and bad dialogue, I'm met so many young kids who absolutely adore the new movies, and will grow up being Star Wars fans just like I did. So apparently, he did something right.

Do you mean for his Star Wars pictures or his work overall? Because I'd rank Catch Me If You Can far beyond the formulaic Star Wars stuff. His Harry Potter stuff is even worse. I remember The Empire Of The Sun as being quite good, better than Star Wars, in my view.

Mike

How 'bout... of those that I've heard, working in the context of the film, that made me go, "hmm, that's a pretty good score." :P

I remember Catch Me if You Can being good, but until you just mentioned it I forgot that Johnny Williams did it. I don't listen to too many soundtrack CDs these days, so my comments are only in relation to how it works in support of the picture.

Don't get me wrong - I have negative comments about the new film as well, but I'd rather wait to air them until after a few of you have seen it later this week. I'd hate to impart any biases and possibly ruin your enjoyment of the flick. Overall, I think it's quite good and would prefer to stay positive for now...

I would prefer it if someone would try to *elevate* the quality, not pander to the juvenile audience. Plenty of kids LOVED the original movies - as I read in an online review talking about Jar-Jar Binks:

-----

His head gets caught in an electronic field, his foot gets caught in the stirrup of some large beast, he describes being in trouble as "deep doo doo," and even manages to step in some of the same while walking around in Mos Eisley Spaceport. Therein lies a key difference between this film and one of its predecessors. In STAR WARS, we had Obi-Wan telling us Mos Eisley was a "wretched hive of scum and villainy." In THE PHANTOM MENACE, we get doo doo.

------

Give kids something worthy and they WILL like it. You don't need to go for the lowest common denominator. It works in movies, music, whatever. I've seen it myself.

Mike

Saw it, it was awesome. Easily the best of the new series. Lucas had said most of his background story he made before NEW HOPE was contained in this episode, which is why the first two flicks might seems a little slow paced..for some.

I saw it, and I absolutely loved it. For the first time since the original trilogy, Lucas has made a movie with heart. Its an excellent film and I'm really looking forward to repeated viewings.

I was able to see this movie this evening, and think Lucas did a wonderful job resolving all the loose threads and story arcs into the original series. This was a FUN movie, and very well made, for what it was.

I think Hayden Christensen may not be a very good actor, but then let's be honest, Mark Hamill wasn't, either. And I'm a fan - I was 12 when the first came out, so the perfect age to get hooked into this series. I also got to meet Hamill, and got his autograph in '77 on a promotional tour of Japan.

But Christensen certainly had the menace and anger down in this flick. Even I could feel it seething through him. Okay, maybe it's more the dialogue part where he has his issues... :P

Big thumbs up for Episode III. I haven't liked all the marketing and overkill, but I agree with Sal, the movie itself will be worth picking up on DVD for repeat viewings...

Edited by Aggie87

Hate to be the thread downer. And I realize you're either a super fan who'll dig almost anything this series throws at you, or you're like me..a regular guy who can't really remember the storyline of any SW movie.

But, saw this yesterday expecting, from all accounts, a great movie...and found it laughabley bad imo (maybe not so humble at this second). The villian General Whatever looked like a bad Lego creation. The special effects all looked very dated to my eye. At one point, the dragon-thing Obi was riding on looked like bad claymation. And the dialogue...uggg. I mean Anakin ACTUALLY screams "NOOOOOO" into the void of humanity. The script read like "Days of Our Lives." At one point, I turned to my wife after what seemed like an endless "Dr. Phil" moment and said.."Is any 'Star War's shit going to happen in this movie?"

Kind of anti-climactic when the final sword fight scenes all involve charactors you know will all live because of the "future" episodes we've already scene.

So in short, this is for die-hard fans only. The rest of us should just rent the original Star Wars at Blockbuster.

Sorry for such a big thumbs down. :g

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Star Wars sucks.

I've seen only the first Star Wars film. I mean the first one. The one that was originally released in 1977. It seemed good when I was eleven years of age. I've lost interest in the Star Wars saga ever since.

Hate to be the thread downer.  And I realize you're either a super fan who'll dig almost anything this series throws at you, or you're like me..a regular guy who can't really remember the storyline of any SW movie... But, saw this yesterday expecting, from all accounts, a great movie...and found it laughabley bad imo (maybe not so humble at this second).  The villian General Whatever looked like a bad Lego creation.  The special effects all looked very dated to my eye.  At one point, the dragon-thing Obi was riding on looked like bad claymation.  And the dialogue...uggg.  I mean Anakin ACTUALLY screams "NOOOOOO" into the void of humanity.  The script read like "Days of Our Lives."  At one point, I turned to my wife after what seemed like an endless "Dr. Phil" moment and said.."Is any 'Star War's shit going to happen in this movie?" Kind of anti-climactic when the final sword fight scenes all involve charactors you know will all live because of the "future" episodes we've already scene.

And I believed my post earlier in this thread was a bit of a downer. I've still seen only the original STAR WARS film. :lol:

That's another thing.... My 9 year old boy wants to see this (what boy doesn't after all the hype and commercials on tv). But I think not. Horrid decapitation in the first 5 minutes and a grotiesque full body burn scene that drags on and on....I thought Star Wars would bring back a kinder, gentler action movie. Too bad. Movies are just plain too violent these days.