Freddie Roach/Brown Sugar (Water)

sjarrell

I spent about $300 there that week.

I was there last May and barely restrained myself by only grabbing three discs or so. Lots of very, very tempting items in their racks.

I really miss browsing in Newbury Comics, too.

Edited by John B

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I see a trove like this I assume that someone died. I asked the owner if that was the case. "No," he said, "but he did move to Africa."

.....instead of Vermont.

man, I hate that expression. Whenever I post about musicians coming here to play there is always a reply saying they thought the musician had died.

Oh, I see. No, it's not for the burn from my LP that I use in the car. I do not decorate my burns and if I did I could use the LP jacket picture, etc..

Just curious how Water's quality translates to CD to see what all the raving is about.

This one arrived from CDU yesterday. Just a burnt TOCJ here and no time to compare but the sound is great. No hissy remaster or bombastic compression volume hijinx.

My first Water purchase BTW and these folks do it right. The sleeve notes are on heavy weight glossy coated stock - not the cheap stuff you can see the type from the other side thru - Blue Note Roques all the way like a Connoisseur Edition. Water should start re-issuing all of the Blue Note titles. A sight and sound blind test between this, a TOCJ, a flimsy RVG and even a Mosaic Select re-issue would unanimously go to Water.

Splendido ! :tup Really looking forward to hearing these two. I would have bought the 'Brown Sugar' too but I've got a good vinyl copy. The Bards have also thrown in the John Patton 'Minor Swing' too so it promises to be a great little consignment.

After my £5 Conn 'haul' yesterday I'm on a roll with the BN CDs !

• 2 weeks later...

Just listening to my batch from 'The Bards' which arrived across the oggin today right on cue. These Water reissues are astonishing - the re-mastering and presentation of 'The Phantom' is very fine, up to Japanese standards IMO. The packaging, liner notes and art work are just great, obvious labour of love. Huge :tup for Water - I hope they keep this up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think that the fact that Blue Note is willing to licence problem (their assessment probably) titles to Water is a great thing. Water is in fact doing a better job than the Connoisseur series in my opinion in presenting these reissues (they sound better, they have beautiful booklets). I love the RVG series, but these sort of titles will likely never be considered for that series. I'm happy to get them from Water; keep 'em coming!

I agree. I recently picked up a copy of the Water reissue of

Leo Wright's "Soul Talk"album (originally on Vortex).

The sound is great and the booklet is thorough and well done.

It includes original liner notes & album cover, etc.

Not the best album in the world but there is relatively little of

Leo Wright's work in print so it is nice to have. A pretty low key

sax & organ affair. I prefer Leo's earlier more exuberant side.

Don

Well, I think that the fact that Blue Note is willing to licence problem (their assessment probably) titles to Water is a great thing.  Water is in fact doing a better job than the Connoisseur series in my opinion in presenting these reissues (they sound better, they have beautiful booklets).  I love the RVG series, but these sort of titles will likely never be considered for that series.  I'm happy to get them from Water; keep 'em coming!

• 3 weeks later...