What album turned G. Benson over to the dark side?

Hardbopjazz

What album turned George Benson over to the dark side?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I listened again to George Benson's "Tenderly" album, from about 1989 to 1990 (I don't have the case with me here at work). All standards, with McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter and either Louis Hayes, Herlin Riley or Al Foster on drums, with some strings in the background.

This is a straight ahead jazz album, and it's quite good. George plays some fine "real jazz" solos. It's pretty music, and Mc Coy does not let it rip like he did on his 1970s Milestones, but that would be out of place for what the date seeks to accomplish. It's a good jazz album, not earth shattering, but it is a jazz album with integrity.

Those who have said that "everything" that George did after CTI, or after Columbia, or after some point, is "no good", should really listen to this much later album.

P.S. I found it in the clearance bin at Half Price Books for $1.00.

Edited by Hot Ptah

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened again to George Benson's "Tenderly" album, from about 1989 to 1990 (I don't have the case with me here at work). All standards, with McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter and either Louis Hayes, Herlin Riley or Al Foster on drums, with some strings in the background.

This is a straight ahead jazz album, and it's quite good. George plays some fine "real jazz" solos. It's pretty music, and Mc Coy does not let it rip like he did on his 1970s Milestones, but that would be out of place for what the date seeks to accomplish. It's a good jazz album, not earth shattering, but it is a jazz album with integrity.

Those who have said that "everything" that George did after CTI, or after Columbia, or after some point, is "no good", should really listen to this much later album.

P.S. I found it in the clearance bin at Half Price Books for $1.00.

Benson said Tenderly nearly ruined his career at the time, and that he would never record another Instrumental/Jazz album again.

As that was such a long time ago now, at his advancing age, and with his Pop marketability at pretty much that of a small venue cabaret drawcard, maybe he'll reconsider, and make a guitar album or two.

Then again, maybe Benson still sees himself as a Pop star, even though most of those that go to his gigs probably wouldn't know what his latest album and material are.

And maybe (the funkiest man in showbiz) Allen Lowe :D is right... and 'you can't go home'... so a Benson guitar album at this stage of his life might turn out to be a real bummer.

Otherwise,

Golly Gee Sergeant Carter...what a funny thread this was.

Benson said Tenderly nearly ruined his career at the time, and that he would never record another Instrumental/Jazz album again.

As that was such a long time ago now, at his advancing age, and with his Pop marketability at pretty much that of a small venue cabaret drawcard, maybe he'll reconsider, and make a guitar album or two.

I dunno. A friend of mine opened for him at The Hollywood Bowl a year or so ago so I went to see her and the place was pretty full.

I dunno. A friend of mine opened for him at The Hollywood Bowl a year or so ago so I went to see her and the place was pretty full.

Really.

Some of the recent youtube clips look like he's lost a large amount of his audience. Those clips can be deceiving I guess.

In Australia he plays at 'The Hilton'.

Definitely a dinner and show kind of crowd.

I worked at a jazz record store when Weekend In LA came out. That thing flew out the door for many many months. Two record set, too - kinda expensive. But people wanted that, and wanted to hear it. You couldn't walk down the streets of Manhattan without hearing On Broadway.

Sometime in the early '80's ('82?), I saw Benson sitting in with the Art Blakey band at the Village Gate, so I don't think he ever turned his back on jazz. He's just good at what he does.

Otherwise,

Golly Gee Sergeant Carter...what a funny thread this was.

Yeah. I know I'm getting old; the bumping of long-dead threads is more enjoyable than the new ones... :lol:

Well actually one thing I noticed reading this thread, is that everyone focussed on the music and singing. No one mentioned George Benson's youthful SEX APPEAL. That was the equal main ingredient of your crossover right there. Ask all the women in your lives about George Benson and THAT :D

Chromatics be damned :D

BTW, the idea (expressed in this thread), that he was always at heart a singing entertainer is absurd. He was like...what...3 years old when he was LittleGB. He definitely got the guitar bug bad later on, because he often recounts banging on the motel doors of every Jazz guitarist that came through his town to get insights and lessons. Simply the greatest Wes, Grant, Kenny immediate disciple there was...who had PLENTY of other options...unlike Pat Martino or Jerry Hahn or Larry Coryell. Even great guitarists like Wilbert Longmire and Jimmy Ponder exercised their vocal abilities a la Benson.

Ever hear Larry Coryell's 'psychedelic vocal tunes'.

I think Benson always sucked, and that the early albums were actually made by the same guy who wrote all of Irving Berlin's songs.

You're a fair dinkum Dickhead most of the time, really.

If Benson always sucked, so did McDuff, GG, Wes Montgomery, Lou Donaldson, Larry Young and the whole Soul Jazz time.

Listen to Beyond The Blue Horizon and then tell Lonnie Smith he's not a real Doctor.

Hot Dog.