Greatest Album Title Of All Time?

JSngry

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the later posters's suggestions all beat "Tuff Ass Jazz." (That Cramps album, especially.)

TAJ might be in the running for worst cover art ever, though.

I guess you're being sarcastic?

My favorite title, given the circumstances of its recording: Marvin Gaye--Here, My Dear.

(Best album cover art ever? Though it comes in barely a hair ahead of Monk in his little red wagon on the cover of Monk's Music, I nominate Sly & The Family Stone--There's A Riot Goin' On.

I LOVE that cover. Too bad the CD reissue deep-sixed it for a cover that makes it look like a live album--this for one of the most gloriously studio-based albums ever.)

On the other hand, I really dig your avatar. I'm not familiar with that particular record.

But I am a HUGE fan of Lee Dorsey.

Let's hear it for Lee Dorsey! The MASTER of sly, snaky, and spectacular vocals. There's no one else like Lee: a true original.

Edited by Kalo

Ralphie beat me to Big Black, but since we're on that label - Touch & Go - I'd have to say they've collectively got the best album titles. A sample:

Two Nuns and a Pack Mule

Me and Guiliani Down by the School Yard

We're the Meatmen and You Suck

Crippled Children Suck

I Have Been to Heaven and Back: Hen's Teeth and Other Lost Fragments of Un-Popular Culture Vol. 1

Little Miss Carriage!

Jesus Urge Superstar

Intellectuals Are the Shoeshine Boys of the Ruling Elite

Edited by Robert J

I'd have to go with "Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys" as my favorite jazz title as well... although Brotzmann/Bennink "Half a Dog Can't Piss" (Eine Huber Hund Kan Nicht Pinkeln) gives it a pretty good run for the money.

Hippie-ish as they might sound, I've also been partial to two Lungfish titles: "Talking Songs for Walking" and "Rainbows from Atoms."

Good thread idea!

CT