Bartok

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I go back and grab this 10" LP? I nearly did just for the great cover, but then ... celesta? really?

Ansermet-Bartok_MusicForStringsPercussionAndCelesta.jpg

Also, is everyone still happy with the Kocsis box? It's around in a new, cheaper version and I'm somewhat on the fence, maybe not this month, but still... http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B003Y3MYWW/

Really

Should I go back and grab this 10" LP? I nearly did just for the great cover, but then ... celesta? really?

Ansermet-Bartok_MusicForStringsPercussionAndCelesta.jpg

Also, is everyone still happy with the Kocsis box? It's around in a new, cheaper version and I'm somewhat on the fence, maybe not this month, but still... http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B003Y3MYWW/

Really

And a big part for piano, but that's a secret, apparently...

The Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta is one of my favourite Bartok pieces and fits well with the sound world of the concertos.

Don't miss the Concerto for Orchestra either. I've seen it devalued as less innovative than his pre-USA work; but I find it thrilling. It even contains a joke!

Don't overlook the Sonata for 2 Pianos and Percussion. Not as frequently recorded as the larger force pieces.

This one I have, great piece.

I'd say it's an incredible piece. I've heard this performed, very exciting.

stuff banging on animal remains (if gut strings are used, but I guess that's rather rare in pianers :crazy: )

went to get that Bartók ten incher, will spin it tomorrow night!

If you want the music, I suggest the Reiner, coupled with a wonderful version of the Concerto for Orchestra:

51DXfLIHJzL._SS400_.jpg

Other covers available.

I saw Andras Schiff do the 2nd Piano Concerto with Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra last fall, and it was magical. I see that Schiff and Fischer have a cheap disc avaiable of all three concerti

here: Arkiv Classical but I haven't gone for it yet, as I have versions of all or some of the concertos by Anda (on DGG and airchecks on Audite), Kocsis, Zimerman, and Bartok himself (on a Hungarton box set called "Recordings from Private Collections".

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Andras Schiff do the 2nd Piano Concerto with Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra last fall, and it was magical. I see that Schiff and Fischer have a cheap disc avaiable of all three concerti

here: Arkiv Classical but I haven't gone for it yet, as I have versions of all or some of the concertos by Anda (on DGG and airchecks on Audite), Kocsis, Zimerman, and Bartok himself (on a Hungarton box set called "Recordings from Private Collections".

Do snap up the Schiff/Fischer. It will change how you hear some aspects of the concerti.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...