Did anyone here from the Houston area get attacked

I like it when animals fight back.

HOUSTON - Like a scene from the horror movie "The Birds," large black grackles are swooping down on downtown Houston and attacking people's heads, hair and backs.

Authorities closed off a sidewalk after the aggressive birds, which can have 2-foot wingspans, flew out of magnolia trees Monday in front of the County Administration Building.

"They were just going crazy," said constable Wilbert Jue, who works at the building. "They were attacking everybody that walked by."

The grackles zeroed in on a lawyer who shooed a bird away before he tripped and injured his face, Jue said. The lawyer was treated for several cuts.

It appears that the birds are protecting their offspring. On Monday a young grackle had fallen out of its nest and adult birds attacked people who got too close, Jue said.

Another bird attacked a deputy county clerk.

"I hit him with a bottle," said Sylvia Velasquez. "The other birds came, and one attacked my blouse and on my back."

Two women came to help her after she fell to the ground, and the birds attacked them as well. The group escaped by running into the building.

"This is a very Hitchcock kind of story. Very Tippi Hedren," said downtown worker Laura Aranda Smith, referring to one of the stars of Alfred Hitchcock's move "The Birds

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Texas birds are like that.

There's a momma Mockingbird right now two buildings away with a nest near a sidewalk throughfare going to a parking garage that attacks walkers by (divebombs them). Several have been so startled that they fall down and two have hurt themselves (a little). We can't remove the bird nest, it's a protected state bird near a state building. BUT I saw three young ones on a treebranch near the nest starting to spread their wings and fly, so we'll soon not have the problem. . . til next spring. This is the second year of pedestrian terrorizing!

There was a problem with flocks of crows attacking people in Tokyo a few years back. I had forgotten about it, and was wandering around Akihabara at about 8AM on a Saturday morning. The shops were closed and I had the street to myself. And there were a lot of crows around - shades of The Birds. They didn't bother me, but if I'd been snacking on something, I think I might have gotten jacked for my food.

Mockingbirds are notoriously protective. I've never seen them actually attack, but they will dive bomb yer ass pretty fearlessly. And yer dog, too. But it's always a brushback pitch instead of a beanball, at least what I've seen.

Haven't had problems with the grackles yet. But they sure are big. And ugly. And LOUD.

Boo to the grackle! :tdown:tdown:tdown

Hey, grackle - FUCK YOU.

Damn loudass bigtail bird...

common-grackle.jpg

"Hey who you talkin' to? I've been pretty quiet these last few days, as I can't access this board from my office. Something appears to be messed up on my side. Anyways, you can look for me to be dropping a big semi white, semi black, blob of shit near youu real soon."

In Ethiopia I had a sandwhich snatched from my hand by a "kite" --a hawk of the area-- at an outdoor picnic like event!  This was not an uncommon occurance.  And those birds are big enough you don't argue with them.

Same thing happened to me Lon, but It was in Tanzania. I didn't even hear the bird coming! I was half expecting to hear the menacing theme from "Jaws", like I'm used to in the Hollywood flicks...