-+- The New Features -+-

As most of you noticed, I have upgraded the board software to version 2.0.4. Version 2.1 is coming out shortly which adds even more features, but right now we're here.

This thread is for you to ask questions about certain features, how they work, and suggest things you'd like to see.

J.A.W. has already asked about the donation button. I will add that soon. I am also still working on the color scheme and I also plan to have another skin for you to choose if you're still not keen on the peach and violet. All these will come in time as I can apply them.

One major source of confusion I'm noticing is in regards to the new quoting system. It's very simple and elegant, actually.

-+- Using Quotes -+-

To quote a single, entire post, just hit the "reply" button:

p_quote.gif

That's all there is to it. This is the standard quote post function that we all know and love. However, you may have noticed an actual "quote" button next to it. It looks like this:

p_mq_add.gif

When you press it, it turns to this:

p_mq_remove.gif

What this does is add that particular post as a quote to your message. In other words, you can add multiple posts as quotes to your reply and thus reply to more than one person at once. Once you have chosen every post you want to reply to, you simply hit the orange "add reply" button, just as if you were replying normally. You know the one, it looks like this:

t_reply.gif

The you can add your reply to the various people you quoted. Does this make sense?

Any other questions, just ask away!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of right now, the formatting seems too wide (at least for me, using IE 5.1.7). I have to scroll horizontally to see the "X DELETE", "+ EDIT", "+QUOTE" and ""REPLY" buttons. Not a huge problem, but a little annoying...

Edited by Jim R

One major source of confusion I'm noticing is in regards to the new quoting system.  It's very simple and elegant, actually.

I like this feature

And oh yes, the ignore feature is here. Look under "my controls" and on the left side "manage ignored users"

Mike

This one, also.

-+- Adding Attachments -+-

The method for adding an attachment is a little different. Like normal, you use the "browse" button to select what you want to attach. After you find it, you must click the "add this attachment" button before submitting your reply or it will not add the attachment.

As of right now, the formatting seems too wide (at least for me, using IE 5.1.7).  I have to scroll horizontally to see the "X DELETE", "+ EDIT", "+QUOTE" and ""REPLY" buttons.  Not a huge problem, but a little annoying...

What is your screen resolution?

My monitor resolution is set to 1024 X 768

In terms of free downloads, :w this was the best I could find that was compatible with Mac OS 9 (we're still using a 1998 Mac G3). Due to a recent experience with a site I used to visit quite a bit becoming inaccessible, I may be attempting another (Netscape) download one of these days...

Oh, that's a drag.  And I just looked at Mozilla and Firefox needs at least Mac OS 10.1.  Bummer.

Yeah, and when I went to get some 13watt fluorescent bulbs the other day, they were $5 a pop. <_<:)

Well... I guess this new site must be using newer code that your particular version of IE doesn't support well.  Have you tried the "Linear+" mode?  I don't know if that would help or not.

Just tried it, and I couldn't detect any differences at all. Thanks for trying, though! :tup

In terms of free downloads,  :w  this was the best I could find that was compatible with Mac OS 9 (we're still using a 1998 Mac G3).  Due to a recent experience with a site I used to visit quite a bit becoming inaccessible, I may be attempting another (Netscape) download one of these days...

Don't know if you've seen this which may help or may repeat everything you know already.

--eric

Thanks eric. I didn't already know all of that (although I have used iCab in the past, thanks to a rec from Jim Dye a few years back). I'm not very savvy. Anyway, I don't know of a free (not sure I want to invest too much more in this particular system at this point in time) version of Mozilla that's OS 9 compatible. Believe it or not, I actually like this version of IE (compared to what I had been using before, it's actually fantastic :rolleyes: ). I'm still proud of myself for accomplishing that download, as I had to search for and download a couple of minor pieces of software (plug-ins ?). Things are actually working relatively well overall (although being on a dial-up ain't exactly wonderful). Bottom line, I know I have to accept the shortcomings that exist for me, because I haven't coughed up the $ to upgrade things. I generally hate upgrades, BTW. I like it when I'm used to the features of a given piece of software. Upgrades always tend to leave out my favorite things, and add new obstacles/headaces. Ah well...

Thanks eric.  I didn't already know all of that (although I have used iCab in the past, thanks to a rec from Jim Dye a few years back).  I'm not very savvy.  Anyway, I don't know of a free (not sure I want to invest too much more in this particular system at this point in time) version of Mozilla that's OS 9 compatible.  Believe it or not, I actually like this version of IE (compared to what I had been using before, it's actually fantastic  :rolleyes: ).  I'm still proud of myself for accomplishing that download, as I had to search for and download a couple of minor pieces of software (plug-ins ?).  Things are actually working relatively well overall (although being on a dial-up ain't exactly wonderful).  Bottom line, I know I have to accept the shortcomings that exist for me, because I haven't coughed up the $ to upgrade things.  I generally hate upgrades, BTW.  I like it when I'm used to the features of a given piece of software.  Upgrades always tend to leave out my favorite things, and add new obstacles/headaces.  Ah well...

Well if you get the itch, you might want to try wamcom, which is an adapted Mozilla for OS 9 and its supposed to be better than iCab.

It's probably still a bit behind the times (because it's apparently too difficult to fix the security problems with later versions of Mozilla on the OS 9 platform) but it may get you back to something a little more workable at some sites.

I've got an ancient machine at home, and I've found that the open-source community is just great for finding ways of doing stuff you never thought possible. Your old dog can learn new tricks, though it may limp a little doing them!

--eric

--eric

And oh yes, the ignore feature is here. Look under "my controls" and on the left side "manage ignored users"

Mike

Thanks for the all the hard work Jim. I'm digging this feature where I can click on the number of replys to a thread.

Any chance of a spell checker?

Digging it so far, Jim. 

But what's the difference between "Standard" and "Linear +"?  They both look the same to me.

Thanks eric.  I didn't already know all of that (although I have used iCab in the past, thanks to a rec from Jim Dye a few years back).  I'm not very savvy.  Anyway, I don't know of a free (not sure I want to invest too much more in this particular system at this point in time) version of Mozilla that's OS 9 compatible.  Believe it or not, I actually like this version of IE (compared to what I had been using before, it's actually fantastic  :rolleyes: ).  I'm still proud of myself for accomplishing that download, as I had to search for and download a couple of minor pieces of software (plug-ins ?).  Things are actually working relatively well overall (although being on a dial-up ain't exactly wonderful).  Bottom line, I know I have to accept the shortcomings that exist for me, because I haven't coughed up the $ to upgrade things.  I generally hate upgrades, BTW.  I like it when I'm used to the features of a given piece of software.  Upgrades always tend to leave out my favorite things, and add new obstacles/headaces.  Ah well...

Test