Interesting find

Just for the oddity alone I had to buy this (@ $1.99).

Released by Mutual Radio Network, a three LP box set entitled "Paul McCartney: The Beatles and Beyond". It is a Kiplinger Magazine production.

It seems to be intended for airplay; certainly not general release. The radio program was called Changing Times/Paul McCartney and it was originally aired on Thanksgiving day, 1984 (according to the letter inside the box, from Ned Quenzer and addressed to Ned Upham - for whatever that is worth :w ).

Also enclosed are detailed 'instructions' for airplay presentation order. An interesting look inside radio programming.

Now, whether it is actually worth anything is up for debate.

Well, you know what they say:

"Two Neds don't make a...

I admit it: you've stumped me.

THREE LPs?

Awaiting further information.

Another example of Paul's will to power?

(Though, I have to admit it, the older I get, the MORE I appreciate McCartney.)

Does anyone remember Paul's attempt, not long ago, to re-attribute many of the Beatles songs to "McCartney/Lennon," rather than the traditional "Lennon/McCartney"?

Of course, he was trying to assert his actual authorship of these tunes, but STILL...

Anyone who really CARES which Beatle wrote which song would already be aware of Paul's claim to "Yesterday," etc... (As an aside: didn't Sinatra attribute Harrison's "Something" to L and M?)

My stepfather thought that the Kink's "Lola" was a Beatles song until I disabused him of that notion. And let me tell you: in general, he's a VERY canny and erudite guy.

Jazz in Transition - TRANSITIONS label.

Donald Byrd - Art Blakey - Horace Silver - Doug Watkins - Joe Gordon - Dave Coleman - Dick Wetmore - Herb Pomeroy - Paul Chambers - Philly Joe [sic] Jones - John Coltrane - Pepper Adams - Curtis Fuller - Jay Migliori - Tommy Ball - Sun Ra - Cecil Taylor.

Cover totally ratched. First layer of the back of the cover is gone , exposing the cardboard. BUT, on reading about the label, I discovered that the back of all the covers are always blank. The booklet which came with the track list and notes on the personel and detailed writeups about all the artists and the particular track, as well as photographs IS there.

Amazingly, the record itself has not one scratch on it.

The sound on the record is astounding!! WOW!!!!

Edited by patricia

Jazz in Transition - TRANSITIONS label.

Donald Byrd - Art Blakey - Horace Silver - Doug Watkins - Joe Gordon - Dave Coleman - Dick Wetmore - Herb Pomeroy - Paul Chambers - Philly Joe [sic] Jones - John Coltrane - Pepper Adams - Curtis Fuller - Jay Migliori - Tommy Ball - Sun Ra - Cecil Taylor.

Cover totally ratched.  First layer of the back of the cover is gone , exposing the cardboard.  BUT, on reading about the label, I discovered that the back of all the covers are always blank.  The booklet which came with the track list and notes on the personel and detailed writeups about all the artists and the particular track, as well as photographs IS there.

Amazingly, the record itself has not one scratch on it.

The sound on the record is astounding!!  WOW!!!!

Wow... I'd much rather have that than, uh, a lot of records any day. Almost bought the Cecil on Transition once but then remembered how much my Visa loves my money and... well... maybe another day. It's hard to find these with the booklets, too.

I found it yesterday at my usual source. The most expensive record there is probably around thirty dollars and I've only seen one.

Jazz In Transition set me back EIGHT DOLLARS with the booklet.

Funny thing. The booklet looks as if it were used as a coaster at some point. There's a coffee ring on the back. Not a big deal to me. It just shows that the record was loved and listened to.

Still.................. :)

Edited by patricia

The result of the battle between Dick Hyman & Dick Wellstood, no doubt.

YUP. WETMORE I typed the names exactly as they appear on the front of the album. Did you notice that I typed Philly JOE Jones, with and "e" on Jo?? :crazy:

Edited by patricia

Dick Wetmore was/is a jazz vioinist. I dont think he recorded much. The only thing i have is his self titled 10" lp on Bethlehem. Judging by the sidemen on that date, Ray Santisi piano and Jimmy Zitano drums, he must have lived in the Boston area at the time.

Yes, Wetmore plays violin on the track "Backstreet". The rest of the personel on that track are Pat Petracco on guitar, Bud Pearson on alto sax, Pepper Adams on baritone sax, Tommy Ball on trumpet, Everett Evans on bass and Paul Drummond on drums.

Reading the booklet, Dick [or Richard if you like] Wetmore also played trumpet, baritone horn and bass, played an amplified violin on this date.

The booklet included is GOLD!!!

Edited by patricia

Of related interest:

Sam Margolis Quintet Melody Lounge. Lynn Mass. 11 October 1953

Dick Wetmore, tp; Sam Margolis, ts; Richard Twardzik, p; Whitney Cronin,

b; Jimmy Zitano, d.

unissued

* Theme (unidentified)

* Jumpin' at the Woodside

* Mean to Me

* Stompin' at the Savoy

* Ballad medley: Laura (Twardzik with rhythm)/ Body and Soul