Will Ferrell Corner

I'm starting up this corner because I went to see "Hitchhiker's Guide" last weekend with my brother and while we were waiting we sat through 15 minutes of the "Kicking & Screaming". The rest of the movie is probably terrible but Ferrell is hilarious... that sequence with the "father-son" talk had me rolling. "What are you doing on that computer son... online dating?"

It was enough for me to put Anchorman at the top of my Netflix queue.

Guy

This must be some sort of generational thing. Will Ferrell is dreadfully unfunny. He's boorish, stupid, loud, obnoxious repetitive and completely bereft of any sense of nuance or subtlety. His stock in trade is mugging, shouting and truly bad physical comedy. Not to mention that his favorite thing seems to be running around either naked or nearly naked like he's got some kind of hot bod. I think his is one massively out of control ego

It's not that I've avoided Ferrell. I'm certainly more than familiar with his work on SNL and in feature films. With the possible exception of the Blue Oyster Cult skit on SNL, he has simply never done anything that I've found to be even remotely amusing. If someone could point me in the direction of what they find engaging about this troll or steer me to any scene from any movie he's been in that is truly funny, fire away. I'm all ears.

Up over and out.

He's boorish, stupid, loud, obnoxious repetitive and completely bereft of any sense of nuance or subtlety....Not to mention that his favorite thing seems to be running around either naked or nearly naked like he's got some kind of hot bod.  I think his is one massively out of control ego 

I think that is the point. I really don't think he is trying to be anything but boorish, stupid, loud, or, especially, subtle. I suppose his comedy can be chalked up to "each his own". Some people like the above things when they are done well (I think he does them well). His naked scenes probably aren't meant to impress. I would imagine he realizes he is chubby and clumsy and people would be revolted by these scenes and that is why he does them. I really doubt it's to impress anyone.

This must be some sort of generational thing.  Will Ferrell is dreadfully unfunny.  He's boorish, stupid, loud, obnoxious repetitive and completely bereft of any sense of nuance or subtlety.  His stock in trade is mugging, shouting and truly bad physical comedy.  Not to mention that his favorite thing seems to be running around either naked or nearly naked like he's got some kind of hot bod.  I think his is one massively out of control ego 

It's not that I've avoided Ferrell.  I'm certainly more than familiar with his work on SNL and in feature films.  With the possible exception of the Blue Oyster Cult skit on SNL, he has simply never done anything that I've found to be even remotely amusing.  If someone could point me in the direction of what they find engaging about this troll or steer me to any scene from any movie he's been in that is truly funny, fire away.  I'm all ears.

Up over and out.

I think that if that's how you feel there's no way anyone could (or should) try to change your mind. Sound like you've made your decision. :)

I do think he is mocking himself when he does his nudity bit, kind of like Farley in the Chippendale sketch.

There are similar opposing camps on other SNL stars lke Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman, David Spade, John Belushi etc. People seem to either love 'em or hate 'em. To each his own.

Oh come on, Paul...you're telling me there are people who actually like David Spade?  I find that hard to believe.

I also find it hard to believe there are people who don't recognize the talent that Phil Hartman had. :blink:

I think Hartman's a cut above all of these guys. His Bill Clinton was brilliant, better than Daryl Hammond's IMHO.

As far as Spade, somebody must like him out there with all the movies and tv shows. I just hope I don't know any of them.

Guy

Oh come on, Paul...you're telling me there are people who actually like David Spade?  I find that hard to believe.

I also find it hard to believe there are people who don't recognize the talent that Phil Hartman had. :blink:

Yeah, Phil Hartman was definitely a cut above the others mentioned on this thread.

I agree Dan- I didn't include him on my list because I don't think he's particularly "controversial". Most everyone seems to like him.

There are similar opposing camps on other SNL stars lke Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman, David Spade, John Belushi etc. People seem to either love 'em or hate 'em. To each his own.

I agree Dan- I didn't include him on my list because I don't think he's particularly "controversial". Most everyone seems to like him.

Actually, you did (see above). That's why I objected. :)