Greatest NFL running back

Who do you think was the greatest NFL running back?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

An interesting side debate on this would be to discuss the best big back of all time, comparing people like Earl Campbell, John Riggins and my sleeper candidate, Jerome Bettis. I think Bettis has now passed both of them in career yardage. During his prime years, I don't think any big back dominated a game like Campbell, but Bettis has been solidly reliable for a longer period, although he did suffer a lingering injury last year. I hope that doesn't spell the end for him, and from what I have been reading he sounds like he reported to mini-camp significantly lighter and in better shape than he has been in a while.

Jim Brown, hands down. What up with "James Brown"? You talking about big backs? 6'3", 230 lbs., with sprinters speed. The most frightening, intimidating football player to ever step on a field. After a 9 year career, having never missed a game, he quit football at the top of his game, while he led the league in rushing in his final year. Remember this, 5.7 yards per carry for his career, although all defenses were designed to stop him. That will never be broken.

He was the only running back I've ever seen that all players were afraid of, even future hall of famers. Spike Lee did a great film on him last year. Check it out and learn the truth.

I voted for Earl.

Jim Brown was a bit before my time, though I am aware of the praises for him.

Earl Campbell was the greatest running back that I have ever seen. He didn't have the longest career; certainly not like Emmit or Payton, but for the years he was in the league he was totally dominating.

I saw Payton in a lot of average games; he never changed games to the extent that Campbell did.

The one game that stands out in my memory was a Thanksgiving Day battle between the Oilers and the Cowboys. At the time, the Cowboys were a dominant team--Doomsday Defence and all that. The Oilers were up and coming but hadn't yet hit their stride as a team to watch. The Cowboys scored, but Earl Campbell just ran through them, over them, and changed the momentum of the game. Can't remember the number of yards, but all the yards were built as he ran over people. It was one of the most dominating performances I have ever witnessed.

Can't argue with the Jim Brown votes. He is said to be the greatest NFL back ever. I just never saw him in his prime. Earl was everything. I'm just sorry to hear how he's been hobbled since.

One poster gave mention to Jerome Bettis, and I must say that I cannot recall any other big back who was as effective once he broke into the secondary. Bettis had both the moves and the speed and the strength once he got back there. That's what made him so dangerous. Don't know if the Bus has any more gas left in the tank. We'll see.

Guest Mnytime

It comes down to Jim Brown and Walter Payton. Barry Sanders lost to many yards, he was pulled out of short yardage, and goalline plays. Nobody ever pulled out Brown and Payton. I can’t consider someone that had to be taken out of the game in the money time areas as one of the best.

Earl Campbell really is in bad shape these days. He can't walk without help and even than very slowly.

Brown was not only the greatest football player but also one of the best lacrosse players ever.

In 9 years in the NFL Brown averaged 100+ yards per game. And he did it all without wearing any padding at all below his waist.

3rd would have to go to Smith or Sayers.

Jerry Rice’s numbers are amazing but you also have to take into account WR’s have it a whole lot easier today. And it’s also more of a passing league while in the old days more running oriented. IMHO A WR also doesn't take the same type of beating over a career that a RB. There is a reason RB's average only less than 3-4 years in the NFL from all the hits they take.

Another thing Payton played with a lot of crappy OL for half of his career.

Emmitt benifited from having to play behind one of the best Offensive Lines for the first 6-7 years of his career. Not to take anything away from Emmitt but Payton could have put up numbers no one would have passed with that type of line in his prime years.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

I probably left out everybody

How could you leave out William "the Refrigerator" Perry?! ;)

Ditka should be embarrased that Perry has a Super Bowl TD but Payton does not.

I have a soft spot for Barry Sanders too, but Mnytime's comment about him not being used in short yardage situations is damning.

Barry had the best moves of any running back I have ever seen; and he would have blitzed Emmit's record, but I have to agree that you can't vote for a guy who was not used for short yardage.

No one wants to nominate Eric Dickerson?

Guest Mnytime

bo jackson would have been a hofer, if not for that hip injury.

the only guy with 2 runs of 90 or more yards.

bo vs bozz

I don't know how you figure this? He had HOF talent but he only played half the games at the most and never put up huge numbers for a season. One big game against Seattle doesn't put you into the HOF.

It's interesting that Marcus Allen who Al Davis screwed over for reasons no one knows to this day is going into the HOF and Bo won't be.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Eric Dickerson would go behind Simpson who would be 5th himself. IMHO of course. ;)

Than Campbell and Faulk from those on this list. Though I would take Marcus Allen over Faulk.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Eric Dickerson would go behind Simpson who would be 5th himself.  IMHO of course. ;)

Than Campbell and Faulk.

Obviously, I would rate Campbell higher, but then these are just opinions.

If Campbell was dominate for more than the first 3-4 years of his career yea I would put him higher. It doesn't help him that he was traded to the Saints because he started to wear down.

Dickerson was traded because he wanted more money and the Rams of those days are not the Rams of today. The Rams back than were following the Donald Sterling school of ownership. ;)

Edited by Mnytime

if bo wouldn't of done his baseball thing, football was his sport. he did not want to play for the bucs. he could punish people. i saw him play with the royals back in the late 80's. i sat next to bo at the barbershop a few years ago. he golfs with the owner of the shop during spring training season in tucson.

Edited by Soulstation1

Guest Mnytime

if he wouldn't of done his baseball thing, football was his sport. he did not want to play for the bucs. i saw him play with the royals back in the late 80's. i sat next to bo at the barbershop a few years. he golfs with the owner of the shop during spring training.

I agree if he had devoted his whole time to football he had HOF talent. But he didn't and based on what he did accomplish, it was not warranting of HOF induction is all I am saying. Even if he didn't hurt his hip he was not going to get in when only playing 7-9 games a season and really not dominating except for the one game. There is a reason when they show highlights of Bo it is limited to his running over Boz and the two long runs. He didn't have much else to really show.

Edited by Mnytime

When I was a teenager I would have said Roger Craig. But of course, I was a born and raised San Franciscan who saw everything in red and gold. Based on legend, video footage and stats, it's got to be Payton or Brown, but I can't figure a way to give a half vote to each...

if he wouldn't of done his baseball thing, football was his sport. he did not want to play for the bucs. i saw him play with the royals back in the late 80's. i sat next to bo at the barbershop a few years. he golfs with the owner of the shop during spring training.

I agree if he had devoted his whole time to football he had HOF talent. But he didn't and based on what he did accomplish, it was not warranting of HOF induction is all I am saying.

Yes, you can't rank him as a great on talent and potential. The accomplishments have to be there!

Guest Mnytime

When I was a teenager I would have said Roger Craig. But of course, I was a born and raised San Franciscan who saw everything in red and gold. Based on legend, video footage and stats, it's got to be Payton or Brown, but I can't figure a way to give a half vote to each...

No one had Craig's high stepping running style.

When I was a teenager I would have said Roger Craig. But of course,  I was a born and raised San Franciscan who saw everything in red and gold.  Based on legend, video footage and stats, it's got to be Payton or Brown, but I can't figure a way to give a half vote to each...

No one had Craig's high stepping running style.

Terrell Davis came closest, I think. That style took a little speed away from Roger, but it made him really hard to tackle.

I'm old enough to know that ya just gotta go with James Brown. Hell, if he'd stuck around until he was too old to play any more like some of these guys, they'd still be chasing his record, which, remember, was set in the days of ten games a season (assuming my memory is correct, always a shaky plan...).

But number two? Hey, knock his trial, his "acting" and anything else, but in my book, O.J. is definitely it. The Bills never had shit other than O.J., and still no one could stop him. Hell, the only reason the L.A.P.D. caught him is he just plain forgot how to run... ;)