SACD players

mgraham333

Guest GregM

I thought the prices on plasma TVs were insane.

This takes the cake. I had no idea...

Now I just need to find a gold-plated buggy whip. Or maybe a platinum washboard - I hear that's the ONLY way to get your clothes TRULY clean.

Well, we're getting far afield here, but when it comes to plasmas and washing machines I went for:

8443870-2-300-overview-1.gif

02637974000-dlv.jpg

Man cannot live on stereo gear alone. :g

Greg - just to set the record straight about the only points worth addressing specifically in your line-by-line dissection of my post: I have most definitely "done the requisite listening" to compare higher and lower end SACD players (I can't help chuckle a bit at that "requisite listening" part, it's so didactic sounding, like you're some audio professor assigning me my homework!). This is supposed to be FUN, dude. :lol:

The other issue: I feel more than comfortable that your views about audio quality are at one far extreme compared to most jazz fans. That includes not only the 5 or 10 that post in the Audio Talk section of jazz discussion forums, but "the other 90%" too. For example, I have by far the best listening system of any jazz fan I personally know (not these bizarre Web relationships), and it's not pricey at all. Those folks all look at me like I'm obsessive. What would they think about spending $10,000 for a fancy CD player? ;)

The rest of your response to me (which is odd because my post was not directed at you for the most part) just reflects your evangelistic fervor and oracle-like predictions about what MIGHT come to pass with DVD, and which single instance there could be about one SACD somebody said sounded better than one DVD-A title, etc etc.

You'll have to do better than this to convince me you've changed a whit since the BNBB days.

Guest GregM

Can't get my Neptune to spin SACDs, but it sure does a good job with the whites. :P

Well, Dr. J, why would I "change" since "the BNBB days" (all of 3 months ago?). I was on target about SACD then, waving off the incessant claims that SACD was dead in the water, that SACD offered no significant improvement, that SACD wasn't worth adopting. . .so why should I change. I'm a firm believer that a dedicated SACD/CD player is the way to go and gives you the best musical bang for your buck. Disagree? Fine. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you get.

Uh, I'm also sure I'll "enjoy whatever I get" because as I said pretty clearly before in several threads you've been active on, I already HAVE a universal player and have been enjoying it now for several months. I would suggest the requisite "careful reading" before responding to others' comments.

Edited by DrJ

The reappearance of Greg prompted me to check out the SACD players on the market. What I found was that very few on-line retailers are selling SACD units- hell, I couldn't find any. What's up with that? Really, I checked all the usual audio dealers- nada. I'm willing to consider an SACD/CD player, but firts I got to find some for sale. Can anyone (hello Greg) provide some links, so I can see what's out there (in the 300-1000 range preferably) for SACDs. It really shouldn't be this hard, should it?

Guest GregM

Leeway said:

>> It really shouldn't be this hard, should it? <<

I found this with no effort.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-rQgY7...a=0&cc=01&avf=N

That might not be a very good deal, but the point is it's EASY to find and order this stuff.

I wouldn't buy front end used, but Shrugs is right. You can find really good deals on audiogon.com and sometimes for demo or lightly used gear that was only taken out of the box and played for a few hours before it was boxed up again.

Edited by GregM

Here in Australia I've read about a couple of new Pioneer universal players (sorry, can't give you model numbers right now). I think the cheaper one sells for AUS $1000 and the other for about twice that (that's probably equivalent to US $500, or less with discount, for the cheaper one. Both were favourably reviewed for their sonics (SACD and DVD-A), the more expensive one in particular, and both reported to have excellent video performance.

Not a bad way to go if you're on a budget

Leeway said:

>> It really shouldn't be this hard, should it? <<

I found this with no effort.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-rQgY7...a=0&cc=01&avf=N

That might not be a very good deal, but the point is it's EASY to find and order this stuff.

I wouldn't buy front end used, but Shrugs is right. You can find really good deals on audiogon.com and sometimes for demo or lightly used gear that was only taken out of the box and played for a few hours before it was boxed up again.

Thanks for the links. I didn't know about Crutchfield. I had checked Audio Advisor, Red Trumpet, Best Buy.com, Symphony Sound, and a number of other retailers, no luck. I found that rather surprising.

I'm not keen on buying from Audiogon. Also, I should note that I am not interested in multi-channel, and am not a big home theater fan. I just want to play music in 2-channel stereo. That narrows the field.

Greg, as the leading advocate of SACD, why not direct me to something that IS a really good deal? BTW, what's your evaluation of the Sony DVP-NS755V? And what's your recommendation?

Guest GregM

>> Greg, as the leading advocate of SACD, why not direct me to something that IS a really good deal? BTW, what's your evaluation of the Sony DVP-NS755V? And what's your recommendation? <<

Do I get a finder's fee? :P

I've never heard the DVP line of Sonys, but I'd recommend Sony over comparably priced Philips, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo or other mid-fi/low-fi stuff. I've heard the cheap Philips via the new PS Audio amp/preamp and Maggies and I wasn't impressed. The Sonys have possibly done a better job integrating CD and SACD technology. At least that's my impression from the reviews i've read. It's your money and it's your gear. Doing your own homework is important--I can't do it for you. I realize if you're looking for the cheapest gear, choices aren't the greatest.

Saw this on another Board. The post refers to the SONY store in Chicago.

" I wasnt knocking the employee about not knowing about SACDs! I was knocking Sony!! Come on! Its their flagship store and there are NO SACD's for sale? I dont think they even had any SACD players. How is the public supposed to learn abut SACD's if the people who make the things doesnt bring it out to the forefront?? Thats what these flagship stores are all about, publicity. Have a nice demo station set up and let people hear it. SACD's are so good that even joe public will be able to tell pretty easily."

Saw this on another Board. The post refers to the SONY store in Chicago.

" I wasnt knocking the employee about not knowing about SACDs! I was knocking Sony!! Come on! Its their flagship store and there are NO SACD's for sale? I dont think they even had any SACD players. How is the public supposed to learn abut SACD's if the people who make the things doesnt bring it out to the forefront?? Thats what these flagship stores are all about, publicity. Have a nice demo station set up and let people hear it. SACD's are so good that even joe public will be able to tell pretty easily."

So did GregM visit Chicago recently?

Guest GregM

Let's see. . .last time I was in Chicago was 11/01 to play the role of best man at my friend's wedding. Didn't have time to shop for SACDs. At the time, I was buying most of my SACDs at Tower. Now I buy them at a variety of places. If I had to rely on clerks to tell me where to find them, I'd be screwed. Clerks are clerks, whether they work at Borders, Tower, or a Sony store, I'd imagine. How could someone be surprised that they didn't find what they wanted at a retail store? The horror! :)

So, Leeway, we send you off to do some homework on an SACD player and you come back with this nugget from audio asylum? :blink:

Edited by GregM

Let's see. . .last time I was in Chicago was 11/01 to play the role of best man at my friend's wedding. Didn't have time to shop for SACDs. At the time, I was buying most of my SACDs at Tower. Now I buy them at a variety of places. If I had to rely on clerks to tell me where to find them, I'd be screwed. Clerks are clerks, whether they work at Borders, Tower, or a Sony store, I'd imagine. How could someone be surprised that they didn't find what they wanted at a retail store? The horror! :)

So, Leeway, we send you off to do some homework on an SACD player and you come back with this nugget from audio asylum? :blink:

Well, as a matter of fact, that was what I was doing (research that is). I went to Audio Asylum Hi-Rez board, looking for the latest "buzz" on SACDs and SACD players. Found the post about Sony, thought it was interesting and worth sharing. It IS a little strange how Sony is handling their SACD business. If SACD is going to stay around, Sony needs to do more.

I also found the usual contingent talking about the SACD version of DSOTM. Oh yeah, there was another group extolling the SACD of "Sound of Music" (for goodness sake :rolleyes: ).

I still think there is a dearth of viable choices in SACD players. Some low-end, some real high-end. Checking out the Phillips

This research is tough :rsmile: