Dodo Greene

undergroundagent

I seem to recall a recent CD reissue of the Time album was canceled or postponed, Japanese, I think - did it ever come out?

greene_dodo_aintwhaty_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/vocalscd.htm#44699

Dodo Greene -- Ain't What You Do . . . CD . . . $22.99

Canyon/Time (Japan), 1959 Condition: New Copy

One of the rare few albums cut by vocalist Dodo Greene -- best known for her obscure Blue Note session -- and even that one's pretty darn rare! The album features Dodo singing over some larger backings by Slide Hampton -- in a style that hearkens back to earlier swing years, but which also features some extremely fresh vocals from Dodo -- sung in the unique phrasing that still made her a treat to see in recent live sets. Titles include "Manhattan", "Ain't What You Do", "Don't Cry Baby", "Black Coffee", "The Breeze", and "It's A Pity To Say Goodnight". CD also features material from a bonus rare single -- "Tell Me" and "Hold On".

Anybody ever heard this? I also like her BN side, andd arrangements by Slide Hampton pique the interest further. But that price is too rich for by blood at this time.

Ran into a mono copy of this Time album during my BN vinyls-search days. Dodo is not my favorite singer but she seemed to have a knack to surround herself with good people: Ike Quebec and Grant Green on her BN, the Slide Hampton band for that Time date! With Ray Bryant on piano, Frank Dunlop and Kenny Dennis alternating on drums.

Slide Hampton also wrote the arrangements and it works.

In his liner notes, Nat Hentoff quotes 'one observer' who states 'Dodo is one entertainer who'll last a long time'.