Ellington Centennial box price

A set is currently up for $175 on eBAy

It's now gone -- because I just bought it. Thanks for the heads-up, bluesoul!!! :D

I have most of this music already, but I've pined for this set for long time. And I've never seen it at this low of a price. 

I'll give it to my kids to put under the tree for me come Christmas morning. :) 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good set.  (Except for the booklet's binding -- all the pages came loose in my copy.)

Same thing happened to my copy.  My wife had a librarian friend rebind it with a spiral binding.  Beautiful job, and it still fits in the box! What they should have done with the book to begin with.

For the record I bought my set on Ebay for $200 perhaps 5 years ago. It took me a couple of years to find one at that price.

Pete

Edited by Pete B

It's now gone -- because I just bought it. Thanks for the heads-up, bluesoul!!! :D

I have most of this music already, but I've pined for this set for long time. And I've never seen it at this low of a price. 

Great buy!

Still amazed that this has never been put out as a download edition, permanently available. 

Sad that it should degenerate to a mere collectors' item. 

I think it's the most expensive set I every bought when it first emerged; worth every penny (despite some technical flaws - a couple of discs that would not track properly at the end, the harsh remastering of the early 40s sides) . 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Cool, glad it went to a board member. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2015, 8:40:02, Pete B said:

Same thing happened to my copy.  My wife had a librarian friend rebind it with a spiral binding.  Beautiful job, and it still fits in the box! What they should have done with the book to begin with.

For the record I bought my set on Ebay for $200 perhaps 5 years ago. It took me a couple of years to find one at that price.

Pete - Thanks for the suggestion. Pages started coming out my book too.  So this weekend I took the book to FedEx/Kinko's and they put a spiral binding on it for a few bucks.

Works great. I actually prefer it to the original binding. When it's open, the book lays flat.

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, mr jazz said:

There's great music here but the packaging was terrible, IMO. Book fell apart and I put all the discs in jewel cases to keep them from getting scratched. 

I put all of the discs in slim-line CD cases too. Much easier access off the shelf than out of the box also.

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I put all of the discs in slim-line CD cases too. Much easier access off the shelf than out of the box also.

Me three.  Put them in double-cd jewel cases, but I do that with all cds from box sets that don't come in jewel boxes.  That's a good idea about rebinding the booklet!

gregmo

I have been using CD inner sleeves (very thin & come from Japan) for years - I can keep the CDs in their respective cardboard sleeves with no damage on removing/replacing discs

check the link below

http://store.soundsourcecds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_73&products_id=212

great idea re the spiral rebinding

my booklet is falling apart