Ellington Centennial box price

Definitely get the "Never No Lament," and wait for the eventual release of the earlier material in a set.

I differ from 'the conventional wisdom' somewhat in that I prefer to hear the twenties and early thirties Duke to the Blanton-Webster era and early forties in general Duke. I love the latter, but the former just seems monumentally important AND eternally enjoyable to me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Never No Lament just a straight reissue of the previous Bluebird Blanton box with better sound?

Its it worth the upgrade. I dont listen to the box much cause I dont like the sound and Duke hasnt really hit me yet. Its enjoyable, but definitely not something I reach for often.

I don't have it and I long ago dispensed with my old Bluebird box (went with the Jazz Tribune "Black and White" discs and with Classics discs) but it's basically a near identical box as far as I can tell.

The sound is going to be MUCH better. There are a few instances of a "spitting distortion" that bother a few but to my ears the sound is very very good.

Well, thanks to the link in the original post, I won the auction.  :D  It finished at around $213.  It's been a while since this was on my radar screen, but it does seem that this set used to go for a lot more. 

Really looking forward to diving in with both feet.

Glad I could help. Yeah, I saw one used in the amazon marketplace for around $500!! I have skipped now to the last CD's, and this is good stuff too. Just listening to Mood Indigo from 'popular Ellington'...wow!! :wub:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...

Remaster the lot? Lease to Mosaic? I suppose they could combine with the Columbia material for a bumper box, but I wouldn't want to repurchase the material on the Mosaics -- there's too much of it. I'd honestly be happy with a budget version (Oh, if only I hadn't passed on that discounted copy in Tower Piccadilly in 1999!).

Remaster the lot? Lease to Mosaic? I suppose they could combine with the Columbia material for a bumper box, but I wouldn't want to repurchase the material on the Mosaics -- there's too much of it. I'd honestly be happy with a budget version (Oh, if only I hadn't passed on that discounted copy in Tower Piccadilly in 1999!).

Back in the good old days when there were multiple used CD stores in Lakeview (Chicago), there were 2 sets behind the counter.  One was used and discounted a bit (maybe a review copy?).  I held off for a few days...

When I went back the used copy was gone, so I waited no longer and bought the new copy (maybe the better option anyway).  I honestly can't remember now if it had gone OOP or not.  If so, it had just done so, since the store hadn't jacked up the price.

I can have the luxury of hoping for new versions, ideally a series of smaller box sets, from Legacy--because I own the Centennial box. I don't know what to expect, perhaps a series of budget sets . . . or just downloads down the road.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...