Jan Lundgren

sheldonm

I am joining a friend and pianist Jan Lundgren for dinner in a couple nights and I know nothing about Jan except he is suppose to be a very good player. Who knows him and what is his playing like? Any suggestions on where to start on his music?

Thanks!

Mark

Mark, Jan looks too good to be true (at least in the photos from the liner notes of the albums of his I have seen). The prefect cleancut young man any mother would be delighted to have her daughter marry!

Bought one record just for kicks. That was the Fresh Sound 'Cooking at the Jazz Bakery', a 1996 live date with Chuck Berghofer on bass and Joe Labarbera. Jan is no joke. He really swings! Clean and straightforward music. Randy Weston's 'Little Niles' on that date is a gas!

He is also outstanding on another Fresh Sound album by Herb Geller 'You're Looking At Me' (recorded in 1997) with Dave Carpenter on bass and Labarbera once more.

Another Lundgren date I have enjoyed is 'Jan Lundgren Trio Plays the Music of Victor Young' on the Swedish label Sittel (Lundgren recorded several other albums for that label). Johnny Griffin, Stacey Kent and Deborah Brown have guest spots on the Victor Young CD.

His discography should be pretty impressive by now.

Edited by brownie

Brownie,

Thanks for the info; I'll recap our dinner conversation when I return :P !!! He's going to dinner with a friend and myself and then hanging out at the Bobby Hutcherson show with us. I guess he's recording in NY while in the states; I'll see if I can get more details.

Mark

These are two that I have by Jan Lundgren.

Jan Lundgren Trio Plays The Music Of Victor Young/ with special guests Deborah

Brown,Johnny Griffin & Stacey Kent. Recorded on the Sittel Label in 2000.

Jan Lundgren Trio presents Miriam Aida & Fredrik Kronkvist. Recorded on the Sittel

Label in 2001. Have enjoyed both of them.

Hope this helps,

Samuel

Jan Lundgren is one of the better "young' jazz piano players around today.

I am not usually a fan of two piano recordings as they tend to get in each others way and get a muddy sound. However, one that I find terrific is:

The Pete Jolly-Jan Lundgren Quartet - Collaboration - Fresh Sound 5038 with Chuck Berghofer on bass and Joe LaBarbera on drums.

Lundgren also does an excellent job as a sideman on these two CDs:

The Conte Candoli Quartet - Portarait Of A count - Fresh Sound 5015

The Conte Candoli Quartet - Conte-Nuity - Fresh Sound 5028

Lundgren has a number of CDs out under his own name on various labels. He has 2 CDs on the Japanese Alfa label with Peter Washington and Billy Drummond titled "A Touch Of You" and "New York Calling". Jan has about a half dozen CDs on the Swedish label called Sittel and a couple of CDs on the Japanese M & I label. He has a trio CD called "Conclusion" on the Passport label. I have just about everything by him, and they are all very good.

Peter Friedman

Jan Lundgren is one of the better "young' jazz piano players around today.

Lundgren has a number of CDs out under his own name on various labels. He has 2 CDs on the Japanese Alfa label with Peter Washington and Billy Drummond titled "A Touch Of You" and "New York Calling". Jan has about a half dozen CDs on the Swedish label called Sittel and a couple of CDs on the Japanese M & I label. He has a trio CD called "Conclusion" on the  Passport label. I have just about everything by him, and they are all very good.

Peter Friedman

Another good one is Fresh Sound 5040 "Will You Still be Mine - Celebrating the Music of Matt Dennis" - Jan Lundgren, Tom Warrington, Joe LaBarbera

Also good sideman work by Jan on Andy Martin's "It's Fine - It's Andy" CD on Fresh Sound 5037.

• 9 years later...