Erich Kleinschuster & Joe Henderson/Carmell Jones

soulpope

Boardmembers,

just wanted to inform about a landmark release as of May 25th, 2005 :

Austrian trombone player Erich Kleinschuster and his Sextett (featuring Fritz Pauer and Jimmy Woode inter alias) recorded a number of sessions for the Austrian Broadcast in the years 1968 - 1972, featuring several of international guest stars.

The first double CD features two sessions with Clifford Jordan, one with Carmell Jones and the fantatic recordings with Joe Henderson.

The first cd (more to follow) was released by Universal Austria.

This is obviously a "labour of love" and should be supported - but again, it`s the great music making this A MUST BUY !!

Cheers, Emil

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one sounds good! Any info on the web? No sign of it yet on Amazon...

As mentioned before, just issued yesterday and a local Austrian release.

The title is "henderson.jones.jordan - kleinschuster sextett 68/69 vol.1" universal 9872145

This is a limited edition, so don`t know wether the usual oversea sources like dustygroove will stock it.

A shop in Vienna Austria having it on stock is Red Octopus Records, www. redoctopus.at and they do MAILORDER (and no, I`m not owner/beneficiar of the shop, but a longtime customer !!).

Believe, just Joe Henderson playing "Chelsea Bridge" and "Inner urge" are worth the entry price .......but there is much more in there.

All the best&enjoy

Emil

Last year I received in a trade from an Austrian trader copies of broadcasts of a 7/1/68 Kleinschuster performance with Jordan, and a 2/1/69 performance with Charles Tolliver. The music on both is very good. The official releases should be worth aquiring.

JSngry, try this link from redoctopus.

http://www.redoctopus.at/shop.php?mode=sho...1404605c366a0f5

Cheers, Emil

Thanks! That link doesn't fully load for me right now, but I'll keep trying.

After much perseverance and invaluable site translation by e-mail/hand-holding by the Red Octopus staff (once again, it seems that everybody in the world can handle English, but dumbfuck Americans like me can't handle anything else...), I got an order placed.

Ended up being a tad pricey (a little over $40 after shipping), but I figure it's two of my favorite tenorists, it's previously unissued material, it's a 2-CD set, and it's a limited edition (geographically as well as numerically, it seems). If I overpaid by a few bucks, so be it. Such are the ways of the Carpe Diemist.

JSngry, try this link from redoctopus.

http://www.redoctopus.at/shop.php?mode=sho...1404605c366a0f5

Cheers, Emil

Thanks! That link doesn't fully load for me right now, but I'll keep trying.

After much perseverance and invaluable site translation by e-mail/hand-holding by the Red Octopus staff (once again, it seems that everybody in the world can handle English, but dumbfuck Americans like me can't handle anything else...), I got an order placed.

Ended up being a tad pricey (a little over $40 after shipping), but I figure it's two of my favorite tenorists, it's previously unissued material, it's a 2-CD set, and it's a limited edition (geographically as well as numerically, it seems). If I overpaid by a few bucks, so be it. Such are the ways of the Carpe Diemist.

jsngry,

glad you finally succeeded. it seems the postage cost is aprox the same as if ordering from europa via dustygroove. nevertheless, after listening to the music you most likely will rate this as bargain of the year .............enjoy&best greetings from vienna, emil

• 2 weeks later...

The item arrived in perfect condiditon today. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but if anybody's thinkng about ordering this from Red Octopus, I can vouch for thier promptness, honesty, and helpfulness (especially welcome given the potential for miscommunication due to language differences). I had a series of web-ordering snafus, all entirely my own fault, and with each one, they promptly and courteously corresponded via e-mail to resolve the situation. Their patience and friendliness was "above-and-beyond" in my estimation.

If my transaction is any indication, this is one class act!

The item arrived in perfect condiditon today. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but if anybody's thinkng about ordering this from Red Octopus, I can vouch for thier promptness, honesty, and helpfulness (especially welcome given the potential for miscommunication due to language differences). I had a series of web-ordering snafus, all entirely my own fault, and with each one, they promptly and courteously corresponded via e-mail to resolve the situation. Their patience and friendliness was "above-and-beyond" in my estimation.

If my transaction is any indication, this is one class act!

jsngry,

glad the cd made it to you. i`m very much looking forward to hear you impressiones. as i stated, j. henderson at an early peak of his capabilities and clifford jordan simply convincing as usual - the cd is dominating my player since its arrival at my place !!!!!

greetings from vienna, emil

I got to listen to the whole thing last noght, and I can highly recommend this set to anybody who's the least bit interested in any of the principals, as well as in late-60s hard bop in general.

I dug the Clifford Jordan sets (two of them!) in particular. I'd call this an essential purchase for them alone. He's in absolute peak form.

Like I said, highly recommended!

Any stateside sources for this one??

These sides look MIGHTY tempting, especially since Joe's date appears to be all his own material ( :excited: ). Note the bolded titles below, which appear to be Joe's set...

Titles: The Highest Mountain, Sandra, Ee Bah Lickey Doo, Jolly And The Ranson, Yellow Gale, The Goose, Doug`s Prelude, Chelsea Bridge, The Kicker, Inner Urge, Reconda Me, Serenity, Mamacita, The J-Dance, A Time For Peace, Rush Hour, Fantangolin, Just Swinging With The Cats, And Things Will Change, Impressions Of Skandinavia, Looking Across, 872, Vienna, Mud House

Would I be right in assuming the first 7 tunes are the session with Carmell, and the last 11 tunes are the two sessions with Clifford?? (And do I have my assumptions right about the tunes from Joe's set??)

PS: I just e-mailed Dusty Groove to see if they had any plans to carry this one. Will report back here with the results.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Titles: DISC ONE:The Highest Mountain, Sandra, Ee Bah Lickey Doo, Jolly And The Ranson, Yellow Gale, The Goose, Doug`s Prelude, Chelsea Bridge, The Kicker, Inner Urge, Reconda Me, Serenity, Mamacita, DISC TWO:The J-Dance, A Time For Peace, Rush Hour, Fantangolin, Just Swinging With The Cats, And Things Will Change, Impressions Of Skandinavia, Looking Across, 872, Vienna, Mud House

Would I be right in assuming the first 7 tunes are the session with Carmell, and the last 11 tunes are the two sessions with Clifford??  (And do I have my assumptions right about the tunes from Joe's set??)

You got the Joe set right.

Check the editing I've done on your post. The titles in green are the Jordan ones. The Joe titles are in your bold. What's left is by Carmel.

I repeat - the Jordan cuts are superb. The whole thing is excellent ( and the arrangement on "Chelsea Bridge" is really nice), but those Clifford titles are my favorites.

Edited by JSngry

Might as well say that the color scheme of the packaging is very attractive as well. A deeply golden yellow is the main color, which contrasts nicely with the soloid balc discs. The type in the booklet is black, with the occasional red highlighting, on that same golden yellow, Liner notes (which I've yet to read) are in German and English, and the photos are very nice, the one of Joe being particularly "striking". The paper stock used is nice and slick too.

Here's teh deal - there's enough Jordan material on here to make a killer single disc. But you know that US Verve ain't gonna do that. They MIGHT do it for Joe if there's more material with him, but I don't know if there is. And Carmel Jones? The cats at US Verve probably think that "Carmel Jones" is a craving for candy or some such. So unless I'm severly underestimating the state of the domestic jazz record industry, I'm thinking that this is one of deals that's got "carpe diem" written all over it. And I'm all about the carpe diem, doncha' know.

A bit pricey the way I got it, to be sure, mainly due to shipping costs (but hey, turnabout is fair play, no doubt). If Da' Bastards get it, it'll probably a lot cost less. And, what with them being the type of Bastards that they are, I'd certainly not rule that out. But I'm not feeling the least bit shortchanged or otherwise chumped. This is a damn fine issue!

Might as well say that the color scheme of the packaging is very attractive as well. A deeply golden yellow is the main color, which contrasts nicely with the soloid balc discs. The type in the booklet is black, with the occasional red highlighting, on that same golden yellow, Liner notes (which I've yet to read) are in German and English, and the photos are very nice, the one of Joe being particularly "striking". The paper stock used is nice and slick too.

Here's teh deal - there's enough Jordan material on here to make a killer single disc. But you know that US Verve ain't gonna do that. They MIGHT do it for Joe if there's more material with him, but I don't know if there is. And Carmel Jones? The cats at US Verve probably think that "Carmel Jones" is a craving for candy or some such. So unless I'm severly underestimating the state of the domestic jazz record industry, I'm thinking that this is one of deals that's got "carpe diem" written all over it. And I'm all about the carpe diem, doncha' know.

A bit pricey the way I got it, to be sure, mainly due to shipping costs (but hey, turnabout is fair play, no doubt). If Da' Bastards get it, it'll probably a lot cost less. And, what with them being the type of Bastards that they are, I'd certainly not rule that out. But I'm not feeling the least bit shortchanged or otherwise chumped. This is a damn fine issue!

jsngry,

glad you like the cd. thers is alot of more tapes late that existent with fantastic music from the sextett featuring

phil woods (two great sessions),

art farmer (at least four sessions),

charles tolliver (very good),

john surman (outstanding !!!) .......it runs like a river in the stormy season.

next release is scheduled for late autumn 05 (hence current cd is titled vol.1)

rooster ties,

i`ve submitted all the details to dustygroove and the are planing to import.

glad we can share great music like that, best greetings from vienna

emil

jsngry,

glad you like the cd. thers is alot of more tapes late that existent with fantastic music from the sextett featuring

rooster ties,

i`ve submitted all the details to dustygroove and the are planing to import.

glad we can share great music like that, best greetings from vienna

emil

rooster ties & us fans,

just saw the update of the dustygroove "upcoming" page featuring

Erich Kleinschuster/Carmell Jones/Clifford Jordan -- Erich Kleinschuster Sextet with Carmell Jones & Clifford Jordan . . . CD . . . Late June, 2005

best regards, emil

thers is alot of more tapes late that existent with fantastic music from the sextett featuring

As good as the Woods-sessions are (actually I found them great too when listening) it seems - at least for the moment - that there will be NO OFFICIAL RELEASE as Phil Woods didn't agree to put them out. Even worse: Phil Woods might have convinced JIMMY HEATH to follow his exemple, and the Heath sessions, which were planned to be paired with the Woods dates, are also on hold, though Jimmy Heath has initially agreed to release them!

Vol.2 will be ART FARMER - and as Emil has pointed out - the CD is scheduled for late autumn 2005

Christian

Glad to hear that the Groove is going to stock these - I think I will signup for email notification - maybe if they get enough emails they'll be sure to order plenty. I'd hate if this comes in one at a time and I never manage to snag it.

Glad to hear that the Groove is going to stock these - I think I will signup for email notification - maybe if they get enough emails they'll be sure to order plenty.  I'd hate if this comes in one at a time and I never manage to snag it.

I would suggest people e-mail Dusty about it, and/or sign-up for their e-mail notification about this specific title.

Dusty needs to know that there is some serious demand for this title -- and I suspect that they may be one of the only sources for it here in the states.

Seriously, people, please e-mail Dusty about this. We're all gonna be pissed if this title becomes a bitch to get ahold of, and our e-mails are probably the difference between Dusty ordering 2 or 3 copies -- or closer to 10 or 15 (or even 20). Get on it people!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties