Ever walked out of a movie?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first movie i ever walked out on was "Love at First Bite."....  .

Man! You have a sense of humor, how can that be??? :o with great lines such as....

Dracula: I'm going out for a bite to drink.

Dracula: Children of the night, shut up! :g:rolleyes:

Ok, a flawed film for sure, but very 70's and Richard Benjamin's best role. I mean Come on, flashing Dracula his Jewish star, trying to kill him with a silver bullet in the heart , an Oscar worthy performance for sure!

What can I say? An intense dislike of George Hamilton? :g Seriously, that was back in [pause as he refers to Maltin's] 1979. No, that can't be right - I must have caught it at a revival somewhere, years later. Yeah, that one should have appealed to me - I like comedy, vampires, and Richard Benjamin - but whatever. That's the first one, and like your first, ugh, kiss... one remembers such things. :lol:

Did you guys know that if you leave early you can often get your money back (or another ticket) from the box office? :w

It's funny that no matter how bad a movie is, I don't consider walking out an option. 

Same with me. If a movie turns out to be worse than I expected, I chaulk it up to a learning experiance (you've got to experiance "bad" to really know what "good" is.) Usually, if a movie looks ahead of time like something that will cause me actual pain, or be a total waste of money, I just don't go see it in the first place. Some of the worst movies I ever sat through were because I went with a group of people. But in that case you can often talk to the folks you saw it with about how bad it was, which takes some of the curse off. (On the other hand, if they all liked it, while you hated it, you note that for future reference.) I've always kind of thought of walking out on movies as a little childish---I mean, why did you go to it in the first place? Well, we all make mistakes I suppose, but my general rule in movie theaters, no matter what the film is like, is "Shut up and watch the damn movie." And that means all the way through.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily apply to tapes or DVD's borrowed from a library. That's different. Though I must admit, I more often don't watch those at all through lack of time, rather than stop halfway through.

It's funny that no matter how bad a movie is, I don't consider walking out an option. 

Same with me. If a movie turns out to be worse than I expected, I chaulk it up to a learning experiance (you've got to experiance "bad" to really know what "good" is.) ...

I mean, why did you go to it in the first place? ...

I agree, the big statement being why did you go to it in the first place, so learn from it. There is always something to learn.

One time was sort of inadvertent, since my date and I didn't get coordinated, so I paid to go into Blues Brothers 2000, and left when I didn't see her (it was her idea -- really -- but I suppose I was saved).

That's really the only time I can remember. I don't go to the movies that often, and only go see things that need to be seen on the big screen (sf mostly). I do recall one experimental movie I really wanted to leave, but the director and all the actors were in the audience, and I felt trapped.

The only movie I can remember walking out of is Ready to Wear, which remains one of the worst movies I've ever seen. If I remember correctly, the movie was only loosely scripted, which was part of the reason I hated it so much.

i remember leaning over before the lights dimmed to kindly let a mother and her three little kids know that  "Serial Mom" might not be quite appropriate all things considered - her response was: "Why don't you fucking mind your own goddamn biznitz, asshole." :blush:

I once directed an uncomplimentary comment toward a mother who had a pair of 3 or 4 year old girls wearing pretty white party dresses w/her at a pretty damn awful gory war flick w/people getting run through w/bayonets and all .....& only managed to catch the 'Hombre Maldito' part of her response... :lol:

Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle and the followup to Metropolitan (can't remember the director's name--it was about young, wealthy, blase American expatriates in Italy).

Whit Stillman? Barcelona ? About young wealthy American expats (one of them not blase, in fact, quite the neon-con flagwaver?) in Spain?

I saw those at home on the VCR...

I walked out on the final installment of Fassbinder's Berlin, Alexanderplatz -- kind of a "made-for-German-TV miniseries" of the novel, being shown as 6 films in a 6-week series at Film Forum in New York in the summer of 1983. I happened to be pregnant, and 2 weeks overdue by the last episode... which was like a dream or after-life-in-hell sequence, with lots of gore and screaming! I pleaded contractions (though they stopped as soon as we got aside) -- more like I suddenly became a Mom who thought the vibe was inappropriate for baby, even in utero!

The only time I ever walked out of a theater was for Napolean Dynamite.  I just don't get it......

I bought Blues Brothers 2000 for the performance by Jonny Lang in the teledating segment and for the huge medley featuring almost every living bluesman [and woman] at the very end, as well as the great gospel scene near the end. WOW!!

Sure the premise is kinda dumb, but what the hell. :w

Actually Napoleon Dynamite is interesting in parts, if you're into teenage angst.

If I'd seen it in a theatre, paying vast sums, instead of at home I probably would have angrily walked out. But once I'm sitting on my sofa, committed to a film, I usually watch the whole thing.

Edited by patricia

Offhand, the only film I can remember walking out on was The Paper Chase, and that was for purely personal reasons. I had dropped out of college a year or two before, and was angered by the John Houseman character's bullying arrogance and by the fact that the student characters accepted it.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Blues Brothers 2000 for the performance by Jonny Lang in the teledating segment and for the huge medley featuring almost every living bluesman [and woman] at the very end, as well as the great gospel scene near the end.  WOW!!

Sure the premise is kinda dumb, but what the hell.  :w

I was reading some interview about Ackroyd, and how he practically had to drag the director through the paces, saying he knew exactly how inane the plot was but that it was worth it to get the music on film. I suppose there is some merit to that, but it is so far beneath the first one plotwise ...

"Matrix Reloaded" (30 min); "The Cell" (after the Thunderbird was gone). Many more. Unless one is somehow interested in the medium as such, one could easily learn treble and up by looking studiously at asphalt, rather than from the flashing lights inside the hellbox.

"Matrix Reloaded" (30 min); "The Cell" (after the Thunderbird was gone).  Many more.  Unless one is somehow interested in the medium as such, one could easily learn treble and up by looking studiously at asphalt, rather than from the flashing lights inside the hellbox.

You know, that reminds me of one of my pet movie peeves. I'm just not into your basic action movies, with the sound cranked up to max and, as you say, the flashing lights inside the hellbox. I go to movies like (just to pull a favorite of the past few years out) In the Bedroom. So what previews do they show? Exactly the kind of shit I purposely avoid. So when the movie I want to see starts, blood is already pouring out of both ears and I can't hear a damned thing. :angry:

"Matrix Reloaded" (30 min); "The Cell" (after the Thunderbird was gone).  Many more.  Unless one is somehow interested in the medium as such, one could easily learn treble and up by looking studiously at asphalt, rather than from the flashing lights inside the hellbox.

You know, that reminds me of one of my pet movie peeves. I'm just not into your basic action movies, with the sound cranked up to max and, as you say, the flashing lights inside the hellbox. I go to movies like (just to pull a favorite of the past few years out) In the Bedroom. So what previews do they show? Exactly the kind of shit I purposely avoid. So when the movie I want to see starts, blood is already pouring out of both ears and I can't hear a damned thing. :angry:

May well be smart marketing on the part of the studios--I bet they figure that a fair chunk of the guys in these movies are only there because they're dragged by their significant others, and will want to go to an action flick when it's "their" turn to pick the movie.

I like action movies when they don't take themselves too seriously (I must be the only male my age who hasn't seen Rush Hour, but I bet I'd love it.) Armageddon, on the other hand, was the loudest, shittiest movie I've ever seen. It's because of that movie that I have resolved to never, ever see another Bruce Willis flick.