World Music

porcy62

But you like a lot of Senegalese music, MG - and the traditional lutes from that country are fretless, so.... they're microtonal by default. (The point being that we've likely all encountered microtonal music of may kinds, but probably aren't aware of the label in connection with the music(s) per se.)

Beach Boys, barbershop qt., American folk/country music, Nirvana, the blues are some examples.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you like a lot of Senegalese music, MG - and the traditional lutes from that country are fretless, so.... they're microtonal by default. (The point being that we've likely all encountered microtonal music of may kinds, but probably aren't aware of the label in connection with the music(s) per se.)

Well, to me there's a BIG difference between someone who plays an instrument that may be played in a microtonal way (and sometimes is, as a result of slight misfingering or whatever, or as part of a musical language that includes it as a normal element, such as bottleneck guitar) and someone who actually does play that way, deliberately, in order to get somewhere else. I haven't got anything against the latter group of people, I'm just not there.

MG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I saw Chaurasia live again a couple of weeks ago - great experience, as always! He still has plenty of power and well - fire is the wrong word, but imagination and sometimes a youthful exuberance totally denying his age. It took him quite a while to get warm though, but then he played for about two hours or more, and in the break someone sold home-made samosas... good Sunday morning entertainment!

Will have to dig up the few discs of his I have and play them again.

• 2 weeks later...

now playing:

Shivkumar-Sharma---Haripras.jpg

The Valley Recalls

Raga Bhoopali

Shiv Kumar Sharma and Hariprasad Chaursia.

And now this again. Wheew!

Clever play on that album title. Is Brijbushan Kabra still with us? He would complete that group. If not, they could introduce another guitar player to round it out. There are many out there, anymore. Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Debasish Bhattarchaya, etc.