Harold Land's "Take Aim"

robviti

Hello again,

I'm looking for a few facts pertaining to Harold Land's Blue Note album entitled "Take Aim." AMG mentions that in addition to the standard You're My Thrill, the album features "five hard bop originals." Did Land compose all of the remaining titles (As You Like It, Take Aim, Land of Peace, Reflections, Blue Nellie), or do any of the credits go to his band mates or some other artists? Also, does anyone know who engineered this date? AMG says it was recorded in Hollywood and produced by Leonard Feather, but I never take what they write as gospel. Now that I think of it, I don't even take the Gospels as gospel! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any help offered. Now start scrubbing that grill. There's some barbecuin' to be done this weekend! :excited:

Take Aim was recorded on July 26, 1960 at Radio Recorders in LA. No engineer credit is given on the lp. The session was produced by Leonard Feather for Blue Note.

The originals were composed as follows:

As You Like It-Harold Land

Aim-Amos Trice

Land Of Peace-Leonard Feather

Reflections-Harold Land

Blue Nellie-Martin Banks

Hope that helps you out.

My copy lists Rudy Van Gelder as engineer

and Tony Sestanovich as Re-mix engineer.

Don

Take Aim was recorded on July 26, 1960 at Radio Recorders in LA. No engineer credit is given on the lp. The session was produced by Leonard Feather for Blue Note.

The originals were composed as follows:

As You Like It-Harold Land

Aim-Amos Trice

Land Of Peace-Leonard Feather

Reflections-Harold Land

Blue Nellie-Martin Banks

Hope that helps you out.

Leonard Feather produced this session on the Wet Coast and all the tunes were written by Clarence Williams and Irving Mills.

Ahhhhh, but who wrote the lyrics? :P

Leonard Feather produced this session on the Wet Coast and all the tunes were written by Clarence Williams and Irving Mills.

So I pulled out the Blue Note Discography, hoping to shed light on the engineer (it didn't), and noticed these entries on pages 532-3, in the Imperial Records section:

HAROLD LAND:

Carmell Jones (tp), Harold Land (ts), John Houston (p), Jimmy Bond (b), Mel Lewis (dm). 7/3/63 & 7/17/63:

Kisses sweeter than wine

Tom Dooley

Scarlet ribbons

Take this hammer

Foggy, foggy dew

Hava nagila

On top of Old Smokey

Blue tail fly

All titles to be issued on the Blue Note label.

Check out that last line. Something to look forward to!

• 5 months later...

Not too inspiring. Do a search for "Take Aim", and you might find som mildly discouraging posts in a couple of threads regarding Mighty Quinn Records. Nothing has made me to pull this album out much - Land is heard better advantage elsewhere.

Edited by Daniel A

I thought Land's playing was okay, but the rhythm section not up to par - that's why I sold my copy.

I actually think the rhythm section isn't the problem . Clarence Jones the basssist has a big

rubbery George Tucker-like sound , and is up front in the mix . Amos Trice sounds fine.The

problem for me is trumpeter Martin Banks . A limited , middle-register player ( like early Bill

Hardman perhaps ) who only sounds good when harmonizing with Land . The tunes are not

memorable . Land's soulful take on " You're My Thrill " is the highpoint of the record .

Here is an article on Austin's Martin Banks :www.creop.org/html/martinbanks.html

Edited by Chas