Piano Solos

Vincent, Paris

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Searching for piano-related threads I came across this one and would like to add some more recommendations of solo albums by artists not or scarcely mentioned before.

The majority of the albums in the Maybeck Recital Hall series on Concord are very fine. Some personal favourites of mine: Alan Broadbent, Marian McPartland, Roger Kellaway, Mike Wofford, Gerry Wiggins, Ellis Larkins, Dave McKenna, Dick Hyman, Gene Harris, Ralph Sutton, Monty Alexander, Kenny Barron, John Colianni, Hank Jones

Dave McKenna: Giant Strides, Left Handed Compliment, My Friend The Piano, Shadows 'N' Dreams, Easy Street, all on Concord

Ray Bryant: Montreux '77 on OJC, Plays Blues And Ballads on Jazz Connaisseur

Raymond Fol: Echoes Of Harlem on Gitanes (Jazz In Paris)

Earl Hines: Four Jazz Giants on Solo Art, Tour De Force, Tour De Force Encore, One For My Baby, West Side Story all on Black Lion, Piano Solos on Laserlight, Live At The New School on Chiaroscuro, Plays Duke Ellington on New World, Plays Cole Porter and Irving Berlin on Swaggie

Dick Hyman: Face The Music - A Century Of Irving Berlin, Harold Arlen Songs, All Through The Night all on Musicmasters, In Recital on Reference

Mike Jones: Stretching Out on Chiaroscuro

Roger Kellaway: The Art Of Interconnectedness on Challenge, I Was There on IPO

Oscar Peterson: My Favourite Instrument, Tracks both on MPS

Ralph Sutton: At St. George Church, Brandon Hill, Bristol, England on Arbors

Art Tatum: Twentieth Century Piano Genius on Verve

Fats Waller: The 1935 Transcriptions on Naxos

Dick Wellstood: Live At The Sticky Wicket on Arbors

Stefano Bollani: Solo Piano on ECM

Jessica Williams: I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart on Hep

Edited by Tommy T

• 3 weeks later...

Some of my favourites:

Lennie Tristano - Manhattan Studio

Art Tatum - Over The Rainbow (Dreyfus Records) ... 'In a Sentimental Mood' in the version on this CD is just incredible

Cecil Taylor - World of

Al Haig - Esoteric

Thelonious Monk - Solo Monk

Thelonious Monk - In San Francisco

Sun Ra - St.Louis Blues

Phineas Newborn - The Great Jazz Piano of

• 2 weeks later...

The Monk Vogue recordings are very special to me. In college I listened to them over and over, and they provided a great window into the world of Monk's music . There's an incredible amount of invention within the structures of the tunes, not least in the flexible but swinging pulse, which pleases me far more than the rhythmic ellipses of his later solos, which I admire more than love.

And one of my favorite discoveries of the past few years is Willie "The Lion" Smith's Music on My Mind, a 1960s solo session from the Jazz in Paris series.

Lots of great recommendations here. I would only add:

Duke Ellington---Piano Reflections

Sun Ra---Monorails and Satellites

Piano Reflections, as Piano in the foreground or Money Jungle are all great Ellington's CD but in trio format if I remember well.

True, but compared to big band, that's practically solo.