Jimmy Rowles

jazzbo

Well, I've been listening to those Verve Billie Holiday sessions with Sweets and Brute and Jimmy Rowles, and it is just making me believe that Jimmy is one of my very favorite pianists.

We talk about him here a little but there isn't a lot of blather about him, which may be a shame. I notice over the last few years how he's on some of the sessions of artists that I reach out for more than others. And it boils down to his being such a wonderful accompanist. But he's so much more than that. Still he's at the keys for my favorite Verve Holiday, my favorite McRae, maybe even my favorite Getz and Zoot. That says a LOT to me.

I need to explore his work as a leader more because the little that I have is great! Rowles has that elegant touch and technique to burn, but like Earl Hines. . . it's always JAZZ. He's just jazz through and through. And I sort of view him as I do Mobley: he's so hip, he's always just giving the thought out cool thing that is just right. A thinker, a swinger, and a painter.

Anyone else a big fan?

Huge fan of Jimmy Rowles here. Sadly, he seems to be overlooked these days.

Not here. Rowles is a constant presence and his music plays very often.

Rowles had a lot of fans in France and he recorded quite a number of sessions in his later years including that incredible day of July 21, 1978 when he turned out four albums - all excellent - in a row!

This is really fine:

Jimmy Rowles - Subtle Legend, Vol. 1

1.Devastating Cherub

2. Limehouse Blues

3. Now That You're Gone

4. Some Other Spring

5. Jitterbug Waltz

6. Tell It Like It Is

7. (Do You Know) Why Stars Come Out at Night

8. Looking at You

9. Sweet Lorraine

10. Devil's Island

11. Humoresque

12. Isfahan

13. Ballad of Thelonious Monk

Edited by marcello

Well here's three favorites of mine where he makes very important contributions:

Two Zoot Sims:

Passion Flower

For Lady

Carmen McRae:

Great American Song Book (the original lp and the Japanese two cd set is better as it has all the "banter" but this is great stuff where Jimmy is musical director and plays so well).

I really like the trio session he did for Nocturne, but I don't think it's available outside of the three cd complete box set on Fresh Sound (?)

There are a lot of Jimmy Rowles recordings that I don't have, but I can recommend Jimmy Rowles Plays Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn (Columbia).

The duo sessions he did with Ray Brown on Concord (As Good as it Gets/Tasty) are very good also.

And The Peacocks (released probably for commercial reasons under Stan Getz' name and already mentioned) is another favorite.

I can recommend any of the numerous solo, duo and trio recordings of Jimmy Rowles that I have. His subtle sense of swing and his timing are of the highest degree!

If I could choose only one, it would be the trio on Capri with Red Mitchell and Donald Bailey.

I really like the trio session he did for Nocturne, but I don't think it's available outside of the three cd complete box set on Fresh Sound (?)

It was available as a Japanese Toshiba Liberty CD many years ago, but this was obviously dubbed from LP and had a lot of surface noise. The transfer in the Fresh Sound box is much better.

I dont know if it has ever been on cd, but one i like alot is a duo date Jimmy did with Al Cohn for Xanadu called Heavy Love. Just two masters tearing up five standards and one original.

It was available on CD - Xanadu XCD1234. Amazon lists it as "currently unavailable." Maybe you can find a used one somewhere. But you can't have mine :).

P.S. The CD has 7 tracks!

Count me in as a big fan. The recordings I would have listed have already been mentioned, but I'll add this one I recently found somewhere "for cheap". It's nice to see Jimmy get some overdue recognition.

Some great duets with Eric Von Essen on bass, circa 1994. Jimmy wasn't in the best of health at this time, but you sure can't tell from his playing on this one.

d17438ab4d9.jpg

"Heavy Love"! :tup Not on cd as far as I know.

It can be downloaded from emusic (at least they used to have it). Heavy Love is one of the prime jewels that I downloaded during my 3 month membership to emusic several years ago. It has been getting heavy rotation love in my place every since.

Actually did Rowles ever record that tune?  AMG only lists the Shorter version & a few others but none by Rowles himself.  But AMG is always a little buggy...

IIRC Bruyninckx also has no Rowles version of that tune. Maybe it was a favor - Rowles is one of the most prominent - and best, IMHO - interpreters of Shorter's tunes.

There was a discussion about this here or on the Blue Note Board. Hell, I even may have started it ....

Actually did Rowles ever record that tune?  AMG only lists the Shorter version & a few others but none by Rowles himself.  But AMG is always a little buggy...

IIRC Bruyninckx also has no Rowles version of that tune. Maybe it was a favor - Rowles is one of the most prominent - and best, IMHO - interpreters of Shorter's tunes.

There was a discussion about this here or on the Blue Note Board. Hell, I even may have started it ....

Jimmy Rowles did record '502 Blues' under its original title on the album 'Sometimes I'm Happy, Sometimes I'm Blue' with his daughter Stacy on trumpet, Ray Brown on bass and Don Bailey on drums.

This was recorded in LA for the French label Orange Blue in 1988.

Rowles also recorded the same tune under its other title 'Drinkin' and Drivin'' for another French label 'Ahead'. A 1978 Paris session with George Duvivier and Oliver Jackson.

I already said the French loved Rowles!

Count me as a Rowles fan.

Nobody has mentioned the other album on Columbia, the Ellington/Strayhorn tribute, which is straight solo piano and really amazing.

There's also a Julie London album where he did the arrangements and plays piano (name escapes me now; I'm at work so can't check). Quite nice.

The stuff with Zoot kills, of course.

I really, really dig Rowles. The stuff with Billie - desert island material.

Love THE PEACOCKS, just picked up a near minty vinyl copy a couple months ago and have been thoroughly enjoying it (wonderful vocals!).

And another endorsement for the Ray Brown duets - 2 CD reissue of all those on Concord a couple years ago is in really good sound.

SOMETIMES I'M HAPPY, SOMETIMES I'M BLUE is very fine too.

Great accompaniment on MULLIGAN MEETS WEBSTER and SAX A LA CARTER as well.

I want MORE...