Clarence Wheeler & The Enforcers

JSngry

Probably old news to many here (and probably ancient news to some more), but I finally got araound to checking out this Chicago organ combo (their 1st Atlantic album, Doin' What We Wanna), and buddy, I dig what I hear. Nothing at all "heavy", but damn does it sound real! No frills, meat and potatoes Soul Jazz that is equal parts Soul & Jazz. Sonny Burke on organ in particular is a gas, and Sonny covington's trumpet work sounds like that of a man who played lots of gigs and was happy doing just that. I see that Frank Gordon recorded with the band later on as well, so there were no slouches in the trumpet chair in this band! The whole album sounds like a damn good club band "caught in the act", so to speak, and that works for me.

Anyhow, since I know next to nothing about this band or their albums, any input, discussion, opinions, recs, etc. would be quite welcome.

Thank you.

They made a lot of greazy noise for four people. Anyone have the cover? Don't exactly look like the guys you want to encounter in a dark street at night ...

This was presented in a German jazz radio show back then, greazy organ groups for one hour, and I seized the opportunity to buy it a few months later. Still have it, which says a lot ... I like their version of Eddie Harris' "Sham Time" a lot.

Here ya' go:

-Doin' what we wanna- : Clarence Wheeler and the Enforcers : Sonny Covington (tp,cowbell,tamb) Clarence Wheeler (ts) Sonny Burke (org) George Hughes (d) Cissy Houston, Judy Clay, Jackie Verdell (background vcl-1)

Chicago, November 18, 1969

18129 C.W. Atl SD1551

18130 Hey Jude - , Rhino R2-71727 (CD)

18131 Doin' what I wanna - , 5103

18132 Right on (1) -

18133 Sham time -

18134 Dream bossa nova -

18135 Miss Gee (unissued)

18136 Theme from "Electric surfboard" -

18137 Medley -

Note : Rhino R2-71727 (CD) entitled "Atlantic Jazz : Best of the 60s Volume 2", rest of this CD by other artists.

-The love I've been looking for- : Sonny Covington (tp,bell,tamb) Joe Newman (tp-1) Hank Crawford (as-1)

Clarence Wheeler (ts) Joe Gentle (ts-1) Sonny Burke (org) Eric Gale (g) George Hughes (d)

New York, December 14, 1970

20843 Mighty burner Atl SD1585

20844 Broasted of fried -

20845 We've only just begun -

20846 Buzzard's luck (unissued)

20847 The Lord's been lovin' -

20848 The heebie jeebies dance -

20849 Something -

20850 Hey Western Union man (1) -

20853 The love I've been looking for -

Note : Matrices in between by other artists.

-The new Chicago blues- : Sonny Covington (flhrn,tp,perc) Frank Gordon (tp) Clarence Wheeler (ts) Kenny Prince (org) Sonny Burke (org,p,el-p) Larry Frazier (g) Louis Satterfield (el-b) George Hughes, Billy James, Bill Leathers (d) Master Henry (d,perc,cga)

Chicago, September 18, 1972

25335 Kuumba Atl SD1636

25336 From the bottom of the Delta (unissued)

25337 Miss Gee -

Brenda Lee Eager, Miss Gee Peaches (background vcl-1)

Chicago, September 19, 1972

25338 Don't go to strangers Atl SD1636

25339 The new Chicago blues -

25340 How could I let you get away (1) -

Buddy Guy (g) Junior Wells (hca) added

Chicago, September 20, 1972

25341 Oblighetto Atl SD1636

-Burn for Bern- : poss John Watson (tb) Clarence Wheeler (ts) Donald Burnside (org,poss el-p,p, poss arr) Steve Palmore (el-b) Penny Jeffries, Denise Jeffries, Lenny Lynn, Eddie Chappell, Billie Monday (background vcl-1) + unknown horns and string section

Chicago, IL., 1980

Lady love (1) Straight Ahead unnumbered

Nice n' juicy (1) -

Inseparable -

Clarence Wheeler (ts) John Wright (p) Jimmy Boyd (p-1) William Yancy (b) Robert Shy (d)

Chicago, IL., 1980

So never leave my love Straight Ahead unnumbered

Burn for Bern -

Just keep right on steppin' (1,jw out) -

This oughta do it (1,jw out) -

Clarence Wheeler (ts) Kenny Prince (el-p) Dan Shapiro (b) Wilbur Campbell (d)

Chicago, IL., 1980

Pent-up house Straight Ahead unnumbered

I know/knew a bunch of the participating musicians. Very fine players. I am pretty sure Cuscuna produced the '72 Atlantic dates.