Byrd/Adams goes straight to "Last Chance"

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ron.... Are you/Did you get this??? Wasn't high on my radar screen.... but....

:huh:  :w

Sure did--it was one of the first Mosaics I bought. It's a great set and, as others have mentioned, is nicely complimented by the 2004 RVG 2-CD live "At the Half Note Cafe" set.

Anybody know how many are still left??

I worked out a deal with someone on the board to trade him my long OOP Don Cherry Mosaic (in near mint condition), in exchange for him buying me a Byrd/Adams set -- which he ordered for me late on Saturday night.

I'm assuming I got in under the deadline, and if so, whew!!! This was always on my "to buy" list, but I never had the funds available to make it happen.

Can't wait to finally own that late 60's Byrd/Adams date -- the one with Chick Corea.

PS: I'll know soon enough when I get the set in the mail later this week (hopefully), but can anybody with the set answer a quick question for me. Which (if any) of the following tunes were penned by Chick Corea???

(F) Donald Byrd (tp), Sonny Red (as), Pepper Adams (bari), Chick Corea (p), Miroslav Vitous (b), Mickey Roker (d)

October 5, 1967

tk 4 Blues Well Done

tk 6 Early Sunday Morning

tk 8 I Will Wait For You (omit saxes)

tk 15 Chico San

tk 18 The Creeper

tk 21 Samba Yantra

tk 25 Blue Medium Rare

all titles issued in 1981 as "The Creeper", Blue Note LT-1096.

While your at it, which of the tunes on this date were penned by performers on the date??? I'm assuming the most likely contributors of tunes would have been Byrd, Kyner (Red), and/or Corea.

I had forgotten, until just now, that Sonny Rad was on this date too -- which is a big plus for me.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

just what I was thinking too Ron... Guess I'll have to cough up a couple of more bucks... Just glad it's not a 10CD set... Whew....

I'll probably order mine this weekend...

thanks for the news...

#3031 just landed on my doorstep today.

Got mine today! :P Number 3025.

Sounds like the license is expiring significantly short of the 5000 limit. :huh:

Sounds like the license is expiring significantly short of the 5000 limit. :huh:

I think it's been determined that they don't necessarily ship their sets in chronological order. So, it's hard to tell if they've really reached 5,000 or a time limit (5 years?).

I think it's been determined that they don't necessarily ship their sets in chronological order. So, it's hard to tell if they've really reached 5,000 or a time limit (5 years?).

I'm pretty sure that only applies to Selects. The regular boxes are numbered sequentially as they are sold, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm almost certain this has been discussed before and that the consensus was that regular Mosaics are NOT sold in sequential order. Probably could do a search to see.

I do think they are numbered in pressing batches but I don't think you can rely on when you get a particular number to determine how many sets overall have sold.