Byrd/Adams goes straight to "Last Chance"

I'm almost certain this has been discussed before and that the consensus was that regular Mosaics are NOT sold in sequential order. Probably could do a search to see.

I do think they are numbered in pressing batches but I don't think you can rely on when you get a particular number to determine how many sets overall have sold.

The answer regarding sequential numbering--from Mosaic via Brad--is here. I knew I'd read this somewhere before, hence my recent posts in this thread. This also explains why each domestic big box (as opposed to the Universal-distributed sets) is numbered by hand at time of sale (with a number assigned sequentially by computer), while the Selects are prenumbered during manufacturing.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay... OKAY... I FINALLY called them and ordered mine....

The guy who took the order said he thought the rest would be gone within 2 weeks...

Also mentioned that someone called in and ordered 6 (SIX) copies...

Smells like an E-BAY Profiteer to me... (NOT to start THAT Debate over again...@!)

Anyway... I hope this was a good purchase.... $70 I can swing...

(Although I definitely should have saved my money from that god AWFUL Dinah Washington set...)

:unsure: -_- :)

okay... OKAY... I FINALLY called them and ordered mine....

The guy who took the order  said he thought the rest would be gone within 2 weeks...

Also mentioned that someone called in and ordered 6 (SIX) copies...

Smells like an E-BAY Profiteer to me... (NOT to start THAT Debate over again...@!)

Anyway... I hope this was a good purchase.... $70 I can swing...

(Although I definitely should have saved my money from that god AWFUL Dinah Washington set...)

:unsure:  -_-  :)

Something tells me there'll be a Dinah Washington set on eBay soon...

The "Father's day" email that I got from Mosaic indicated that, "We have just added The Complete Blue Note Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams Studio Sessions to our Running Low category. " The website still shows Last Chance.

I think the Running Low/Last Chance distinction is quite subtle.

I just placed one, too (my first order @ Mosaic).  Also nabbed the Mobley, and three Selects.  Jeez, another painful day, thanks to this board...

Methinks the Mobley is the better of the two Complete sets you ordered. However, both sets are highly recommended by me. Uhhh... you still need the Horace Parlan and the Stanley Turrentine boxes. :mellow: Edited by wesbed

#3031 just landed on my doorstep today.

Got mine today! :P Number 3025.

Sounds like the license is expiring significantly short of the 5000 limit. :huh:

Anyone remember when it first went on sale? Since they're talking about the number they havae left, it could be that they don't "press" ("burn"?"print"?) 5000 copies at once and if they're getting low just before their license expires they don't bother to manufacture more.

Just guessing.

Sounds like the license is expiring significantly short of the 5000 limit. :huh:

Anyone remember when it first went on sale? Since they're talking about the number they havae left, it could be that they don't "press" ("burn"?"print"?) 5000 copies at once and if they're getting low just before their license expires they don't bother to manufacture more.

Just guessing.

I think you're right. When I ordered the Mobley set about 6 months ago, it was on backorder for several weeks or months while they waited for the supply to be replenished.

Just guessing.

I believe that the Byrd/Adams set was released at the beginning of 2000, but I'm not sure.

I know that Mosaic doesn't press all of the CD's for a particular set in one run; but it does print all of the booklets at once due to cost considerations (i.e., paying for more than one printing pressing would be prohibitive), which is why there are almost always booklets left over once a set goes OOP.

If I remember correctly, the set that I ordered last Thursday was numbered in the 3600's.

Amen on the Turrentine and the Parlan..both outstanding...!!

:tup:tup:tup

I just placed one, too (my first order @ Mosaic).  Also nabbed the Mobley, and three Selects.  Jeez, another painful day, thanks to this board...

Methinks the Mobley is the better of the two Complete sets you ordered. However, both sets are highly recommended by me. Uhhh... you still need the Horace Parlan and the Stanley Turrentine boxes. :mellow:

Got my copy of the Byrd/Adams set in the mail, just today.

A friend of mine bought one four or five years ago, which I borrowed from him briefly shortly after he got it. I seem to remember it came in four, separate "one CD per case" jewel boxes.

The set I got in the mail today came in two "two CD per case" jewel boxes.

Am I remembering right that this set originally came in four standard jewel boxes???

(Or am I confusing it with another set. :unsure: )

Who bought this set when it first came out?? What'd't come in??

FWIW, the copyright date is 2000.

My Blue Mitchell set came in 4 single CD cases when I got it during the "Running Low" period last year. The B/A is in 2 doubles, like everyone else. It's an interesting point, because they would have to determine which format they are going to use ahead of time because of the CD case liner printing.

Methinks the Mobley is the better of the two Complete sets you ordered. However, both sets are highly recommended by me. Uhhh... you still need the Horace Parlan and the Stanley Turrentine boxes. :mellow:

I'm looking forward to both the B/A and the Mobley sets.

I already had the "Byrd in Hand" RVG, but nothing else from this box. For the Mobley, I already have three of the individual titles (Allstars, Poppin', and Peckin' Time), so that was a bit tougher decision. But I figured it will help ease my way into buying from Mosaic... :w

I don't have any of the Turrentine stuff on his set. Is the sound quality an issue so for this one? I've read mixed responses here on the board.

And I already have 4 of the 8 (7 1/2?) Parlan releases that comprise his box, so I'll REALLY have to think on that one.

Edited by Aggie87

I don't have any of the Turrentine stuff on his set.  Is the sound quality an issue so for this one?  I've read mixed responses here on the board. 

My understanding is that if you are the type who:

1) invests a great deal of time & money in your stereo system

or

2) buys a lot of Japanese discs and is obsessed with finding the very best sound

then you may have a problem with the sound on at least part of the set. However, even amongst people with these traits many say that the music is so good and as it's hard (or you can't) find it elsewhere you need to have the set.

If you're less inclined to hear flaws in the recording/mastering process or you don't own special speaker wire or interconnects then I think it just comes down to how big your wish list is along with your wallet.

For the record I don't have it but it moves around in my mental Mosaic queue. It's either 3 or 4 at the moment.

P.S. - Regarding types 1 & 2: "Not that there's anything wrong with that." ;)

I don't have any of the Turrentine stuff on his set.  Is the sound quality an issue so for this one?  I've read mixed responses here on the board. 

Sound quality of this set is fine, don't have a problem with it. A lovely set - gets a recommendation from me. A very good overview of ST's mid-size group sessions spanning the entire 1960s. Also works extremely well as a Stanley Turrentine tribute :tup