Byrd/Adams goes straight to "Last Chance"

I don't have any of the Turrentine stuff on his set.  Is the sound quality an issue so for this one?  I've read mixed responses here on the board.
Sound quality of this set is fine, don't have a problem with it. A lovely set - gets a recommendation from me. A very good overview of ST's mid-size group sessions spanning the entire 1960s. Also works extremely well as a Stanley Turrentine tribute

Yipe!

The controversy about the sound quality of the Stanley Turrentine Mosaic makes itself known yet again. confused2.gif

I enjoy Stanley Turrentine's soulful saxophone. I enjoy Ron McMaster's remastering work. I believe the Turrentine Mosaic sounds extremely good. I find no fault in Turrentine's or McMaster's sound. None.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the ears of the audiophiles around here, but AFAIC the music is of such quality on every Mosaic I've chosen to purchase that the audio quality (even that which some consider subpar) doesn't affect my level of appreciation at all. All of my 40+ Mosaics were purchased w/o any concern about who engineered/remastered etc.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to those who are more "audiophilistic" (is that even a word?) about such things, but I think it would be a shame to miss out on this great music because of such concerns. :g

I don't think the criticism of the sound on the ST set has ever been so bad as to suggest that someone shouldn't buy it. The music is paramount of course. I too have never been so disappointed in the sound of a Mosaic set (or virtually any commercially released CD for that matter) that it's affected my enjoyment of the music.

That said, there is a distinct and very obvious difference in the sound between several of the discs in the ST set. I think it's discs 1 & 2, but don't quote me on that. I won't even say that the sound on those sets is inferior or that you might not even prefer them - but there is a very perceptible difference and I'd urge anyone with the set to at least listen for themselves. The sound on those 2 discs (three LP sessions) is much brighter than on the others. I don't know if it's an issue (i won't even say "problem") with the original recording sessions or with the mastering, but there is a difference in the overall tone of the sound.

To bring this one back on topic... my set has already arrived! Very fast delivery (I went for overseas shipping)!!!

Congratulations, man. It's a good set to have. You will enjoy it.

You will enjoy it or else! :angry:

Don't be afraid, else I will sell it on Ebay for at lesat 500$... I sure will enjoy it!

I just got #3165 this evening (although I've had all the music contained in other sources for awhile now). There was no way I was going to let this puppy go out of print on me...I adore Byrd's Blue Note recordings, have 'em all, play them to death and never get tired of it. I wish I had $5 for everytime I've spun Fuego....

Great set, don't pass it up. Sound quality is fine.

Man! I never should of started reading this thread! As a relitive newcomer to buying jazz, this is not going to do my bank balance any good. After reading about half way through, I decided to buy this. Then I finished reading the rest and now

that Turretine set is sounding like something I would like. And the Mobley and the

Parlan and-----Oh Good God!

Well at least now I'll see what all the fuss is about Mosaic.

I purchased the Byrd/Adams box a few months ago. As a result I had no reason to be involved in the fun of purchasing when the set was moved to Last Chance. Still, it was enjoyable to watch and read the posts about the set. The set contains some major players and shows just how quickly a good set can sell when it's about to go out of print.

I'll be one of the Last Chance buyers if ever the Capitol Jazz box reaches the end of its Mosaic life.

I'll be one of the Last Chance buyers if ever the Capitol Jazz box reaches the end of its Mosaic life.

I've seen the self-pics you've posted.......how do you know that you'll still have an interest in this stuff when you hit 85?

I don't know. However, I hope it doesn't take THAT long for the Capitol Jazz box to reach OOP status. ^_^