Diz/Bird Town Hall

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All orders "in house" were shipped today. Thanks.

Chuck,

Tried searching to find out if the option to purchase from you is listed anywhere on the site and I can't find the info. That being said, can I purchase directly from you, via PayPal?

Thanks,

Marla

Yes, nessarecords@earthlink.net for PayPal. $15 pp in the US.

IIRC, an old girlfriend drove a Toyota Cervidaen! It was a cool car.  Nice nipples too.

:lol::lol:

My copy arrived today - thanks, Chuck!!

Like the music, the booklet is also fantastic! I really enojoy reading all of the great historical information, as with the Uptown Mingus release.

:tup

Chuck, I'm sure everyone else already knows the answer to this (when did that ever stop me? :rolleyes: ), but what is your relationship with Uptown? Is there a connection between Uptown and Nessa Records? Just curious (and nosey :P ). Thanks.

Chuck, I'm sure everyone else already knows the answer to this (when did that ever stop me? :rolleyes: ), but what is your relationship with Uptown?  Is there a connection between Uptown and Nessa Records?  Just curious (and nosey :P ).  Thanks.

Bob Sunenblick (label owner) an MD based in Montreal is a dedicated "collector type". He has a unique knack for finding stuff, but not enough time to really run a label and sometimes an "unclear" view of ultimate value. This is a common failing of fans starting out as collectors of "rare" recordings.

About 10 years ago, when he was based in the NY/NJ area and I was an Uptown distributor, he called me to say he was moving to Canada, wanted to keep the label in the US and didn't know what to do. I said I could handle his inventory and shipping so he could keep a US address.

Over the years I have become a "trusted advisor" and help with the production of projects. I have had some hand in the last 17 releases. This varies from selecting material/takes, listening to masterings, suggesting changes, saying "no" to some projects, pushing others.

Bob pays my real expenses and my only financial return is what I manage to sell myself. I undoubtedly lose in this deal, but I love having a chance to shape these projects.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! :tup  Now, second question: is there a catalog or something that shows what Uptown titles are currently in print (especially since there doesn't appear to be a web site with that info)?

Here is a listing:

27.28 Carl Fontana The Great Fontana w/Al Cohn, Richard Wyands, Ray Drummond & Akira Tana

27.29 Tommy Flanagan Nights at the Vanguard w/ George Mraz & Al Foster

27.30 Freddie Redd Lonely City w/Clifford Jordan, C Sharpe, Don Sickler, George Duvivier & Ben Riley

27.31 Pepper Adams The Adams Effect w/Frank Foster, Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter & Billy Hart

27.32 Jimmy Gourley The Left Bank of NY w/ Ralph Moore, Don Sickler, Marc Johnson & Victor Lewis

27.33 An Uptown Christmas w/ Tommy Flanagan, Jack Sheldon, Sahib Shihab, Barry Harris, Carl Fontana, Walter Davis, Jr., Maria Muldaur, Richard Wyands, Charlie Rouse, Kenny Barron, Frank Wess, Johnny Coles, Claudio Roditi & Don Sickler

27.34 Charlie Rouse Soul Mates w/Sahib Shihab, Claudio Roditi, Walter Davis Jr., Santi Debriano & Victor Lewis

27.35 Chet Baker Boston, 1954 w/ Russ Freeman, Carson Smith & Bob Neel

27.36 Charlie Parker Montreal 1953 w/Valdo Williams, Hal Gaylor, Billy Graham, Dick Garcia, Paul Bley, Brew Moore, Steep Wade, Bob Rudd, Bobby Malloy, Neil Michaud & Ted Paskert

27.37 Densil Pinnock I Waited for You w/Richard Wyands, Neil Swainson, Don Sickler, Jimmy Heath, David Laing, etc.

27.38 Serge Chaloff Boston 1950 w/Sonny Truitt, Nat Pierce, George Jones, Joe MacDonald, Joe Schulman, Rollins Griffith, Milt Gold, Al Vega, Jack Lawler & Sonny Taclof

27.39 Don Sickler Night Watch w/Carl Fontana, Ralph Moore, Bobby Porcelli, Gary Smulyan, Richard Wyands, Peter Washington & Kenny Washington

27.40 Sonny Clark Oakland 1955 w/ Jerry Good & Al Randall

27.41 Kenny Barron New York Attitude w/ Rufus Reid & Frederick Waits

27.42 Charlie Parker Boston 1952 w/ Joe Gordon, Dick Twardzik, Charlie Mingus, Roy Haynes, Herbie Williams, Rollins Griffith, Jimmy Woode & Marquis Foster

27.43 Jack Sheldon Playing for Change w/Jerry Dodgion, Barry Harris, Rufus Reid & Ben Riley

27.44 Dodo Marmarosa Pittsburgh 1958 w/ Danny Mastri, Henry Sciullo, Danny Conn, Carlo Galluzzo, Jimmy DeJulio, Chuck Spatafore, Sterling Yates, Johnny Vance & Buzz Renn

27.45 Coleman Hawkins Jamestown 1958 w/Ted Donnelly, Norman Lester, Leon Spann & Jerry Potter

27.46 Lee Wiley Music of Manhattan, 1951 w/Billy Butterfield, Joe Bushkin, Mort Schulmaker, George Wettling, Dave Bowman, Muggsy Spanier, Barrett Deems, George Wein, Buck Clayton, Milt Hinton , Joe Jones, etc.

27.47 Barry Harris For the Moment w/ Rufus Reid & Leroy Williams

27.48 Charles ‘Baron’ Mingus West Coast 1945-49 w/Buddy Collette, Britt Woodman, Lucky Thompson, Roy Porter, Maxwell Davis, Nat Bates, Lee Young, Henry Coker,WilliamWoodman,Willie Smith, Jimmy Bunn, Eric Dolphy, etc.

27.49 Allen Eager In the Land of Oo-Bla-Dee 1947-53 with Dick Twardzik, Serge Chaloff, Buddy Rich, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Max Roach, etc

27.50 Charlie Rouse – Red Rodney Social Call w/ Albert Dailey, Cecil McBee and Kenny Washington

27.51 Dizzy Gillespie – Charlie Parker Town Hall 1945 w/ Al Haig, Curly Russell, Max Roach, Don Byas

2731, 2736 and 2739 are out of stock at the moment.

If anyone needs more details let me know.