Diz/Bird Town Hall

Don't know the origin but the first lp was 2701 and 2728 is where the cd issues began. 2727 is a Claudio Roditi date.

Sorry for the off-topic, I'll keep it short.

You mentioned Claudio- I had the opportunity to play with him recently. He is a warm, sweet person- a real gentleman. Our gig happened to be on his 59th birthday, May 28th.

Now about his playing.......he plays a rotary-valve trumpet, which you don't see too often. He has a beautiful warm buttery sound on that axe, and his improvisations are very engaging. They aren't simply a bunch of licks strung together, but consist of beautiful melodic ideas that he develops like a storyteller. Content over technique for me any day (not to imply he is lacking in the latter). His playing truly reflects his personality.

Anyway, that was the first time I had the chance to meet him, and I feel very fortunate. I've become much more of a fan than I was before. People should not overlook him. :tup

Perhaps Chuck will have a comment or two.

Forgive me for the temporary tangent. :g

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One small regret about this Great Find. It's the only one.

Wish there had been some contributions in the liner notes from surviving participants in the concert. Probably Max Roach could not be available but that 'young 'fay soldier named Tony Sciacca' as described in the July 1945 Down Beat article probably had some memories from the concert.

That's Tony Scott. A great raconteur with tons of recollections. Pretty sure he would have had great stories to tell about the concert.

2727 is a Claudio Roditi date. I have some vinyl if you want it.  :P

Chuck what other Uptown etc. vinyl do you have for sale ?

No time to make a comprehensive list right now. I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow night/Friday morning. I will compile a detailed one (not very long) when I return. I'll be back on the 20th. It would be wise to remind me at that time.

Anyone wanting to get an order in before I leave has a little time. Don't delay.

He already answered that question in this very thread.

Chuck, I'm sure everyone else already knows the answer to this (when did that ever stop me? :rolleyes: ), but what is your relationship with Uptown?  Is there a connection between Uptown and Nessa Records?  Just curious (and nosey :P ).  Thanks.

Edited by kh1958

It's amazing about Haig, considering that he was, at most, 25, when this recording was made (officially he was born in 1924 but I have it on some authority that he was born at least a few years earlier) - he once told me he would go anywhere to play with Bird, and they certainly experienced some rough conditions from time to time - his line was "working with Bird was a pleasure - no problems, no hassles - no money..."