Stan Getz My Foolish Heart: Live at the Left Bank

tooter

>That 25 years separates the Getz and ECM versions isn't discouraging

>since "Jacob's Ladder" was in the Getz repertoire and didn't make it

>to an issued album until 1989 with Hank Jones. Likewise for "The

>Oracle", not issued until 1989 as well.

I wrote several songs for Stan which were to be recorded by him.

These plans were cancelled after he said he would only record my

compositions if they were owned by his publishing company. This was

something that I wouldn't agree to.

All the best, Dave.

Well done indeed, BFrank - how did you do it? Was it just a good memory or do you have any good ruses you could share?

Thanks, tooter. It was just a fluke, actually. I hadn't even noticed the discrepency in the Getz album - probably because I was familiar with the DeJohnette tune.

Once you pointed it out, I went on a witch hunt through my records. As it turns out, the Compost album is right next to the Chick Corea albums that I was looking through. I haven't listened to it in years, but as soon as I saw it, something clicked in my mind, and I realized that's where that song came from.

BTW, interesting story from Dave about Vortex.

• 12 years later...

Just got this CD, this Left Bank fiasco has resurfaced.

So Track 2 is Vortex by Holland, and Track 7 is Compost Festival by DeJohnette.

When Dorn issued this, did it not occur to him to ask the sidemen? My understanding was they were paid, right, he didn't sneak behind their back?

I have spent 25 years fucking around with this Left Bank stuff, and I am back to square one.

It may be a while until I can explain. Like 2-3 years. But I am ROYALLY pissed off right now. Someone stabbed me in the back.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

3 hours ago, bertrand said:

Just got this CD, this Left Bank fiasco has resurfaced.

So Track 3 is Vortex by Holland, and Track 7 is Compost Festival by DeJohnette.

When Dorn issued this, did it not occur to him to ask the sidemen? My understanding was they were paid, right, he didn't sneak behind their back?

I have spent 25 years fucking around with this Left Bank stuff, and I am back to square one.

It may be a while until I can explain. Like 2-3 years. But I am ROYALLY pissed off right now. Someone stabbed me in the back.

Bertrand.

At least thnx for bringing this up again - I was not aware of this recording and will take a look around ....

Just got the Cedar Walton. I now have all 6 of the ones Dorn put out. Wish there more.

Sound is not great on the Walton, but man that version of Plexus is SMOKIN'. Ridiculous that there is so much still unissued, but a lot of the mouth-watering gigs listed in the yearbooks were NOT recorded. So not clear what is still out there, and trying to find out is an exercise in frustration. I will keep trying.

Bertrand.

Roy Brooks' The Free Slave -- one of the earliest Muse releases -- was recorded at the Left Bank. Absolutely VITAL music, imho.

Regarding the Stan Getz Dorn-issued music from that venue: I tracked it down because it includes Richie Beirach on piano. 

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Roy Brooks' The Free Slave -- one of the earliest Muse releases -- was recorded at the Left Bank. Absolutely VITAL music, imho.

Regarding the Stan Getz Dorn-issued music from that venue: I tracked it down because it includes Richie Beirach on piano. 

Agreed about "The Free Slave" with the all-star cast of Woody Shaw, George Coleman, Hugh Lawson and Cecil McBee! Not to mention a smokin' version of Cecil's "Will Pan's Walk".

The Free Slave

So the Cedar CD has two trio tracks with Etta Jones recorded 2/27/72. According to Left Bank Yearbook, there were also two horn players on that gig: Hank Mobley and Charles Davis. So why did Dorn not release the tracks with Mobley? Several explanations are possible, including that only the trio tracks with Etta were actually recorded. Or perhaps Dorn was planning a separate Mobley set that never happened? I suspect Left Bank did not always record full concerts, but sometimes they did.

This of course is the quintet that recorded The Breakthrough just a few days earlier. And, if there was a recording, it would be the last known Hank recording except the date with Tete Montoliu.

Bertrand.

• 3 years later...

Up for two reasons:

1. Cory Weeds confirmed on Facebook that the Mobley part was recorded, but did not want to say why it was not released. You can hear Hank noodle a bit on the intro to the Etta Jones CD that he put out on Reel to Real. That CD has some overlap with the Walton. Hank also was on a 1973 Newport in NYC jam that was recorded but the only place that has it AFAIK is Library of Congress. Not on Wolfgang.

2. I have learned that just because the Left Bank people say they don't have a tape does not mean it was not recorded. We need to just think 'No tape has surfaced'. I am 100% sure there are other stashes of tapes out there. For example, Sunenblick had around 20, including the Grant Green/John Patton.