Stan Getz My Foolish Heart: Live at the Left Bank

tooter

Listening to this album for the first time, I was agog to try to identify #2 tune as free CD's offered by the label to anyone who can name it. However, I couldn't, and was also puzzled by the last tune. It is listed as Chick Corea's "Fiesta" but I'm pretty sure it is not. Once again, though, I don't know what it is - can anyone hazard a guess, or perhaps disagree and tell me it is "Fiesta"?

Getting the names of tunes seems to be a constant problem - so many have more than one name, are wrongly listed, not named, maybe even un-named, difficult to identify from the played versions, etc. I saw some advice a little while ago as to how to solve some questions; by going to AMG and listening to sound samples of, for instance, particular composers (jazz composers play their own tunes more than others, naturally). The trouble with this is that the samples are not always of the melodies I think, although I have a lot of trouble getting them to play so don't try it very often.

If anyone knows of other dodges to identify unknown tune titles, please share them. I've tried putting sound files of tunes on my website and writing them out for posting in musicians' forums but with almost no repsonse. Most people find it just too difficult I guess.

Doubt if there will be much response here either! :crazy::crazy::crazy:

You can hear Stan do the real La Fiesta on the Steeplechase cd Stan's Party. I think he also recorded it on the Columbia album Captian Marvel, which im sorry to say i dont own.

Yes, of course - "La Fiesta". I have Captain Marvel and I could have sworn there was at least one other Getz version in my stuff but can't find it now. There's one by Chick on "Return to Forever" with Joe Farrell et al. Could it be that he did write two tunes called "Fiesta", but only one of them with a "La" in front?

AMG doesn't give any other versions - I keep getting timed out on just "Fiesta"

Couw - I did copy paste the address into the box. It works for me from both my post and your quote. What's the problem?

It would not work for me by directly clicking on it as tripod does not allow for deeplinking. Copying the address from the link you posted into the address bar leads there without problems though. You yourself can click the link as you posted it there. Don't know the finesse of it, but I have had similar problems with linking to tripod.

So, no problem, just a little detour.

Though the tune sounds familiar, I cannot put a title on it either.

Yes, I asked this same question in 2001. I worked a little bit on straightening this out awhile back. The best discographical entry out there right now is in the Erik Raben CDROM, but he omits the final track.

STAN GETZ QUARTET:

Stan Getz(ts),Richie Beirach(p),Dave Holland(b),Jack DeJohnette(dr).

Live."Left Bank",Baltimore,Maryland.May 20,1973(see note)

Invitation Label M 5702(CD)

Untitled(1) -

Spring Is Here -

Litha -

Lucifer's Fall -

My Foolish Heart -

-1.Poss. "Vortex".

Note:Label M 5702 (CD) lists May 20,1975 as the rec. date - May 20,1973 is however believed to be the correct one.

=================

My own entry for this:

Date: May 20, 1973

Label: Private Recording

Stan Getz (ldr), Stan Getz (ts), Richie Beirach (p), Dave Holland (b), Jack DeJohnette (d)

a. 01 Invitation - 06:21 (Paul Francis Webster, Bronislau Kaper)

b. 02 Vortex - 11:00 (Dave Holland)

c. 03 Spring Is Here - 05:42 (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart)

d. 04 Litha - 10:59 (Chick Corea)

e. 05 Lucifer's Fall - 09:54 (Ralph Towner)

f. 06 My Foolish Heart - 05:53 (Ned Washington, Victor Young)

All titles on: - Label M CD: 5702 - My Foolish Heart - "Live" At The Left Bank (2000)

CD issue incorrectly gives year as 1975.

Confirmation needed on title of b.

Additional selection: #07 listed on CD as "Fiesta" (6:20) and credited to Corea. This is not "La Fiesta" by Chick Corea.

==================

The tune "Vortex" appears on other Getz live tapes of the time, but I haven't heard them to confirm. Anyone got 12/12/72 at Paul's Mall?

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I checked some versions of tunes called "Fiesta" and "La Fiesta" but no joy. The first is by Cal Massey I think, played by Bird on "South of the Border" and Philly Joe on "Blues for Dracula" but not the same as the Left Bank tune. There is a "La Fiesta" on Stanley Turrentine's "The Spoiler" but that's by Armando Bozo and is not the right tune either. So many tunes that include the word in the title. It could be, I suppose, that it was wrongly credited to Corea and really is a tune called just "Fiesta" by someone unknown.

I got it! I got it!

It's a Jack DeJohnette tune called "Compost Festival" which I have on the "Life is Round" album by Compost.

Compost was a short-lived, 70's jazz/rock/soul group formed by Jack with Bob Moses, Harold Vick, Jumma Santos and Jack Gregg.

compost2.gif

Edited by BFrank

Mike - re "Vortex" on the Paul's Mall recording - my wife and I just spent the last half hour doing an A/B of the 2 recordings. The head is not played the same, and the feel is a bit different, but there are strong similarities between the two. She says Dave Holland is playing the same thing on both, and I tend to agree with her.

I guess you could ask Dave Holland. He wrote the thing, and he is on both recordings.

Edited by Pete B

I've tried quite a few times to discover the names of tunes by posting but success has been very limited. It's especially encouraging here to have not only found out the name of the tune in question but also been told the probable name of the other unknown one. Well done indeed, BFrank - how did you do it? Was it just a good memory or do you have any good ruses you could share? And thanks to you too, Mike, for the Vortex. I will assume it is that for now but would of course be very interested to know the result of the Dave Holland enquiry if you can. I don't know if you've seen it yet but I did email you with a tune title for your Renee Rosnes discography so at least I've been able to reciprocate a little.

Thanks to Marcello I've been alerted by the always alert Couw to the problem with sound samples on my website. In future I will just post the address for people to paste rather than make a link - that should work I hope.

And the thread has also brought this really excellent album to the notice of some who hadn't tried it before, maybe helping the label just a little. Will you be claiming your ten free CD's from Joel Dorn, Mike, if Vortex is confirmed? Or maybe they should go to Dave Holland in lieu of royalties :D

No free CD's on offer for #7 of course - they think they have it right. Should we make them aware?

Amazing what this Internet thing can do. Response back from Dave Holland in a matter of a few hours:

=========================

Dear Mike,

>1. A Stan Getz CD from Baltimore's Left Bank Jazz Society was issued

>in 2000 on Label M ("My Foolish Heart", Label M 5702). Band is Getz,

>Beirach, Holland, DeJohnette. It contains an "untitled" tune that

>has been suggested to be possibly titled "Vortex" in the Erik Raben

>jazz discography ("Jazz Records 1942-1980" Getz section).

That is a composition that I wrote around 1971.

>2. Also in Raben is mention of a Getz live tape that includes

>"Vortex" (Paul's Mall, Boston, December 12, 1972).

Same tune

>3. Lastly, "Vortex" is a tune on "The Razor's Edge" (ECM 1353).

This is a later Steve Coleman composition that has the same title.

>Are these in fact all the same tune? If not,

>can you identify the tune from the Getz recordings? (The Label M CD

>also lists Jack DeJohnette's tune "Compost Festival" incorrectly as

>"Fiesta" by Chick Corea. Perhaps some royalty adjustments are in

>order.)

>

>That 25 years separates the Getz and ECM versions isn't discouraging

>since "Jacob's Ladder" was in the Getz repertoire and didn't make it

>to an issued album until 1989 with Hank Jones. Likewise for "The

>Oracle", not issued until 1989 as well.

I wrote several songs for Stan which were to be recorded by him.

These plans were cancelled after he said he would only record my

compositions if they were owned by his publishing company. This was

something that I wouldn't agree to.

All the best, Dave.