Paul Motian, ECM Recordings

Guy Berger

Any recommendations for these (aside from the most recent one)? A lot of them seem to be out of print domestically so I want to narrow down my choices before paying $20-25 a disc. The ones I'm especially interested in are Conception Vessel, Tribute and Dance.

Guy

Any recommendations for these (aside from the most recent one)?  A lot of them seem to be out of print domestically so I want to narrow down my choices before paying $20-25 a disc.  The ones I'm especially interested in are Conception Vessel, Tribute and Dance.

Guy

Tribute is brilliant, enhancing the spanish guitar feel of Charlie Haden's bass lines with a couple of guitarists and Carlos Ward on some tracks. Very hypnotic.

"Tribute" is my favorite, followed by "Dance" and "Conception Vessel".

"Tribute" features two guitarists, Sam Jones (one of my favorites) and Ray Metzke, an early appearance by Carlos Ward, and Charlie Haden (back when he sounded more like himself). It's a beautiful program of music that I've returned to often (first on a domestic LP pressing and now on imported CD). All the songs are great, including my favorite versions of Ornette's "War Orphans" and Haden's "Song For Ché".

"Dance" is by a trio with David Izenzon and Charles Brackeen that I like a bit better than "Le Voyage" which was released soon after it with Jean Franc Jenny Clark, instead of Izenzon. It's very lovely and evocative, despite Brackeen's tone sounding uncharacteristically light.

"Conception Vessel" was Motian's first ECM recording. It features varying personnel: two fine trio pieces with Sam Brown and Charlie Haden; two duets with Keith Jarrett (Jarrett plays flute, for better or worse, on one of them); an impressive solo drum piece; and a nice quartet piece with Haden, Leroy Jenkins, and a flute player whose name escapes me now.

These days, Motian's early ECM recordings are neglected, in the USA at least, mostly, I think, because of their availability here only as imports. Despite that, they remain my favorite Paul Motian-led recordings.

Conception Vessel is a really, really good date.

I much prefer DANCE.

For his current trio (PM, FRISELL, LOVANO), the best I've heard is TRIOISM on JMT, a 1993 date who has been very recently reedited (by the way, the trio, here, transform himself in a quartet in the last tune with the addition of DEWEY REDMAN).

Edited by P.L.M

For his current trio (PM, FRISELL, LOVANO), the best I've heard is TRIOISM on JMT, a 1993 date who has been very recently reedited (by the way, the trio, here, transform himself in a quartet in the last tune with the addition of DEWEY REDMAN).

Reedited? I thought it was just re-released.

Re-edition (re-issue), bay-bee; sure will get my hands on the Winter and Winter Trioism soon.

(Somewhat off topic as none are on ECM but) I have Monk in Motian, Plays Bill Evans, and Sound of Love and think they are all well worth your time and money, but among those, Monk in Motian and Sound of Love are the picks, some great playing on those.

Edited by gnhrtg

(by the way, the trio, here, transform himself in a quartet in the last tune with the addition of DEWEY REDMAN).

Actually the track where Dewey plays is not the last tune, but rather track 8 "remembrance of things past" and I've always thought, though I am not sure, that Lovano lays out on that tune, making it still a trio track

Actually the track where Dewey plays is not the last tune, but rather track 8 "remembrance of things past" and I've always thought, though I am not sure, that Lovano lays out on that tune, making it still a trio track

Yep, you're right on both.

• 2 weeks later...

and a nice quartet piece with Haden, Leroy Jenkins, and a flute player whose name escapes me now.

The flutist is Becky Friend, Alan Silva's then-girlfriend (early '70s). Conception Vessel is a really, really good date.

Just listened to this a few times. I agree about the quality of the music, some very nice stuff on here. It reminds me a lot of Tony Williams's 2 albums for Blue Note. I'm looking forward to Tribute, which should arrive in the mail any day now.

ed: It's interesting how Motian's compositions bring out KJ's Bleyian influences.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Of these three, I used to have Conception Vessel and Dance. They may be records that seem more attractive when you don't own them than when you do. Brackeen on Dance for me never really takes off and the whole thing has a slightly studied atmosphere which did not appeal to me. Conception Vessel seemed nice and neutral with nothing much to retain interest. Haden cruised gently and the guitarist did a few guitar-y things. Maybe you can have an effective ECM album centred on drums but I didn't think this one made it.

Guest akanalog

yeah i think tribute gives me a headache to listen to.

the way motian plays, to me-it sounds like someone putting a rhythm under a microscope and zooming in and zooming in until the beat is blown up and obscured to a point the image is blurry and i am not sure what i am looking at and i have no desire to look any more.

yeah i think tribute gives me a headache to listen to.

the way motian plays, to me-it sounds like someone putting a rhythm under a microscope and zooming in and zooming in until the beat is blown up and obscured to a point the image is blurry and i am not sure what i am looking at and i have no desire to look any more.

Different strokes... :cool:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... I've given Dance a few listens, and must say that I'm a little disappointed thus far. Izenzon's playing is spectacular, but I wish Brackeen (whose records I must check out!) would play more tenor and less soprano. A lot less intense than what I was expecting, except on the wonderful "Prelude".

Guy

Hmmm... I've given Dance a few listens, and must say that I'm a little disappointed thus far. Izenzon's playing is spectacular, but I wish Brackeen (whose records I must check out!) would play more tenor and less soprano. A lot less intense than what I was expecting, except on the wonderful "Prelude".

Guy

I've been drawn to "Dance" since it's original release on LP many moons ago, largely due to the "spectacular" (a good word choice) play of David Izenzon and his sensitive interplay with Paul Motian. Charles Brackeen's thin and high sound is certainly uncharacteristic for him. Some might call it delicate. To me, it's a beautiful enigma in that regard. David Izenzon's presence and a more compelling set of compositions make "Dance" superior to its follow-up, "Le Voyage".