Chet Baker was an underrated MF

Soul Stream

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are beautiful recordings. The first is IMO maybe Bakers best late studio date. The second features him as sideman in a dream team. It covers a swinging version of his signature tune, Funny Valentine. It has never been one of my favourite standards. And I believe Richie Beirachs "Broken Wing" that he wrote for Chet  could have been a better one. But Mr B had chosen Valentine from early on. Here´s my point: He never played it the same way. What an artist, what a poet! The most fascinating version IMO you can find on the Challenge Records album "Round Midnight" that he recorded at John Melmer studios in London in 1979. This one, an instrumental, is a modern deconstruction of the theme and shere beauty.  

5 hours ago, fasstrack said:

Has anyone read Jeroen Davalk's (sp?) book? It's very good...

I've read it and I agree. Among many things, De Valk (correct sp.) establishes that Baker fell to his death from that hotel room window on his own and was not pushed/murdered -- a canard that IIRC James Gavin (not that he was alone in this) entertained in his Baker bio "Deep in Dream."

On 16/06/2016 at 6:28 PM, Larry Kart said:

...IIRC James Gavin (not that he was alone in this) entertained in his Baker bio "Deep in Dream."

Gavin's book was dreadful. Completely out of his depth to analyze things musical about Chet, etc., he tried anyway---with laughable results. The rest of it was a journey through hell...

1 hour ago, fasstrack said:

Gavin's book was dreadful. Completely out of his depth to analyze things musical about Chet, etc., he tried anyway---with laughable results. The rest of it was a journey through hell...

The real subject of Gavin's book, I thought, was the fashion photographer Bruce Weber (he of the Calvin Klein underwear ads and the shots of dogs and handsome young men in swimming pools) who made that movie about Chet and whom Gavin apparently disliked intensely because he wouldn't fess up to being gay. The passages about the photographer in the book are passionately, even intimately, indignant.

On 16.6.2016 at 2:33 PM, six string said:

It led me on a quest for the Tokyo dates from 1987 which I finally took possession of a month ago.  It is some of the best I've heard from Baker committed to tape.

Certainly Tokyo is Chet´s greatest  artistic concert achievement, They finally managed that the old junkie  subsituted with Methadon - to best effect. You can hear it in his clean, strong playing.
BTW: There are so many remarkable live recordings Chet made during the last years of his life. Have you heard "LIve in Sweden", includes one of the most ravishing ballads ever recorded (the Charlie Haden penned "Ellen and David" that is harmonically very similiar to "Silence" on the above record). And of course "Last Great Concert" from Germany - big emotions, big band, great art.

Edited by Balladeer

5 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

The real subject of Gavin's book, I thought, was the fashion photographer Bruce Weber (he of the Calvin Klein underwear ads and the shots of dogs and handsome young men in swimming pools) who made that movie about Chet and whom Gavin apparently disliked intensely because he wouldn't fess up to being gay. The passages about the photographer in the book are passionately, even intimately, indignant.

Claptrap, pure and simple. All the way through...

I'm really getting into Chet lately.  I only have a few CDs and saw "Milestones of a Jazz Legend - 19 Original Albums Box set".  Anyone aware of this.  Very cheap.  Is it good?. 

A few year ago I got a Miles compilation and couldn't work out what all the fuss was about.  Put me off Miles for ages, till I heard some other stuff and realised the compilation I got was no good.

Tony

On 6/17/2016 at 7:50 AM, Balladeer said:

Certainly Tokyo is Chet´s greatest  artistic concert achievement, They finally managed that the old junkie  subsituted with Methadon - to best effect. You can hear it in his clean, strong playing.
BTW: There are so many remarkable live recordings Chet made during the last years of his life. Have you heard "LIve in Sweden", includes one of the most ravishing ballads ever recorded (the Charlie Haden penned "Ellen and David" that is harmonically very similiar to "Silence" on the above record). And of course "Last Great Concert" from Germany - big emotions, big band, great art.

I always preferred the two 'Last Great Concert' CD's over the Tokyo material (which I agree is very good).

I can understand that, Jim. Such a moving event. NDR Bigband was great, too. 
BTW: Did you know that there´s an anecodote about this legendary event. Chet looked so rugged at that final stage of his life
that the janitor at first refused to let him in when Mr B wanted to enter. He thought Chet was a hobo...

1 hour ago, Balladeer said:

I can understand that, Jim. Such a moving event. NDR Bigband was great, too. 
BTW: Did you know that there´s an anecodote about this legendary event. Chet looked so rugged at that final stage of his life
that the janitor at first refused to let him in when Mr B wanted to enter. He thought Chet was a hobo...

Reminds me of another anecdote (probably true and with a somewhat sad tinge to it) that I read somewhere:

When the subject of his withered looks came up among fellow musicians, Chet remarked that his wrinkles all came from laughing Whereupon Jack Sheldon quipped:" Nothing can be that funny ..."

• 2 months later...
On June 7, 2005 at 8:14 PM, JPF said:

As good as some of his early stuff was (the session with Freeman, Leroy Vinnegar, and Shelly Manne is incredible - some people still don't believe that's him on "Love Nest"), you need to hear, or hell, just get, "Chet Baker In Tokyo" on Evidence. A live, 2-CD set from 1987, it's the very best of his later work, IMO. One of those nights when he was in great condition, apparently. To me, he's never sounded better.

I think this set has just been reissued on CD recently; it had been very expensive.

• 5 months later...

Fully agree with everyone about Tokyo and Last Great Concert but also a big fan of the Chet Baker and Ake Johansson Trio Lp.

In regards to Chet books the best has to be Matthew Ruddicks Funny Valentine a perfect mix of Chet's lifestyle and the music results from it...also a great discography http://www.funnyvalentine.org/funnyvalentine.org/Discography,_Part_1.html

The worst Chet book award just has to go to Angel Wings truly appalling don't even bother attempting it.

On 2/7/2017 at 2:12 AM, Quasimado said:

Tom Harrell mentioned this in a recent interview with Ethan Iverson on "Do the Math". I can see why. This is vocal only, but the scatting is as good as it gets. With Kenny Drew, George Morrow, Philly Joe ...

Q

Is anyone else creeped out by Baker's look in the photo on this album cover? He looks like he's about to attack and eat her.

gregmo