BFT #26 discussion thread

John B

Thanks John! Glad I got the Instabile and Trovesi cuts right!

How about #2 - just to ask for sure: Fresu is not there, correct?

Oops, I missed that one. Yes, that is Fresu. He is not the leader on the album, however.

Thanks! Though I went with not Fresu in the end... tooter will be delighted!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a lot of research I've established that "non dimenticar" means "don't forget" in Italian. I'm sure everybody else already knew that but I didn't. The trouble is the tune sounds so much like it to me - I remember it from when Nat King Cole had it as a hit I think - go back that far!. I wonder if it has changed it's name into the English version somewhere along the line. Will have to wait until "answers" to find out I know. This is really puzzling me - nothing new!

Right off the bat:

Disk one, trac... hey! there is only ONE disk! Big plus for that as it meant I was actually able to listen to this multiple times, albeit more or less in the background until now. Some stuff I know and other stuff I like, let's do it then.

een: Big bang for starters, promises cosmologic truths. The chaotic sections that follows is much like musicians of some big orchestra tuning their instruments before things go off for real, I have always liked that sound and it's nice to hear it here with a beat underneath. After some more organised chaos, there is this beautiful piano line that stems from Sogno d'Orfeu or something similar, which puts this in the Italian camp with the Instabile conglomerate. The flute is sweet, leading off like a funny rat catcher. One of the clarinets must be Trovesi, I reognise some of his lines. And there is that piano riff again! Really love that. Probably could identify some more of the players if I set to work on that, looking things up and comparing, but hey, there is too much else going on in this piece already. Love it how they set up some of the solo sections with double instruments. Two clarinets, two trombones. This whole piece is a big play, almost Shakespearian with too much ado and all of it at the same time and yet clearly organised. The setup I like a lot: obviously carefully composed parts trading off with solo sections. The riffing/melodic lines behind these solos are a great touch, playing with clichés and creating some nice tensions. Talking about clichés, I see the Mexicans dancing on the city wall already during the part that starts 9 or so minutes in. Yet the vamp is some folk tune I and I would not be surprised if there were a dance to this with people going in circles, changing partners and stumbling over too many feet. Makes you want to sing along (fiery sax to break that bubble halfway through). This gets very African towards the end. Spendid stuff.

twee: This is nice and mellow. Love how this just bounces along. Good rhythm section to make it feel that relaxed and let the piano go pretty wild in spots. Trumpet has nice things to say. Is it that Fresu guy?

drie: oy, this is wild! Love how this builds up and releases tension like regular breathing. It does miss out on melody some. I do not have this but am pretty sure it is Gebbia and I have sampled it somewhere online. Still wanting to get some of that.

vier: Almost sounds like fake jazz at the start, John Lurie and some little kid playing the plastic bucket. More going on here, but not in general atmosophere. Great interplay and plenty nice ideas.

vijf: This one has been bothering me much as I am sure I have heard it before. Not funny enough to be Breuker, not teutonic enough to be Zerbe or Gumpert. Bass clarinet and tenor towards the end would be Actis Dato. And that fits muchly with the rest of the tune. This stuff I like, marching rhythms with tango dances and some surprise moves thrown in. Probably a bunch of Italians that practise on the street or in small cafés, which is definitely where this kind of music belongs. And people on the sidewalks and crammed between tables and waitresses, dancing their booties off.

zes: ah yes, must be that french tuba dude with the french accordion dude and the italian clarinet dude. Here we are back in folk tune territory again, even with a incomprehensible singer (pretty usual for these folk festivals here in euro land) and even with a fiddle. I used to date a girl who did this folk dance stuff and frankly, it was a bit too much for me at the time. There are definitely some great elements to be found in the music though and this tune successfully combines quite some like the vamp and the wailing. Good stuff!

zeven: yay! Pino! fantastic album this is and a great track you have pulled from it. My favourite is the final track, but that would be no fun as they call out all the names on that one. Again some initial chaos to have some mellowness rise from it like a phoenix from the ashes. Fantastic fumpy trumpet playing by the man and great riffs and fork and spoon percussion, scha-winging piano and a grande finale to boot. Weird schlepping theme and latin outro bingo! Good! Very good.

acht: sweet! They should put stuff like this in those turn-up music boxes you have to put small children to sleep. Clarinets almost sound like accordions. Reminds me of some film music. Very pretty.

negen: heheheh. cool tactics. I was pretty much wondering how you would solve the problem the previous track offered to sequencing, either more of the same and the slow route or the bang-in-the-face. So it is the latter, makes for a better disk I think. Not that I am all that partial to this track. Reminds me of that wacko FES stuff from Belgium, but the recitation does not fit in there at all. Wokke-Tsikke

tien: Oh, didn't he ramble? Trovesi for sure doing his trad dittie, complete with bowed bass pretending to be a tuba! Great transition to the trumpet solo, things stumbling ahead, then the bass going into a steady vamp again, the clarinet throwing out candy and trumpet and trombone pestering about with some false teeth clacking to the rhythm in the back. Gotta love it. The upbeat to the trombone section is simply grand. Really love how this taps from one foot on the other, creating distinct moods, then mixing them.

I only have this in a live version which I have played to splinters. Looking forward to the answers and a pointer in the right direction. (One of the enja disks, right?)

elf: must be what they call "prepared piano", in other words someone throwing stuff about inside of it. heheheh. Quite nice with an oriental touch from hitting so many of the black keys/strings. More folk tunes then to finish it all off. Are these two guys or three? If it is only one on the piano, (s)he's working into a damn frenzy there. Probably better listened to than watched!

Overall, this is a damn fine disk and a damn nice BFT, I had much fun playing this episode of that endless saga. There is likely to be a theme here, Euro-dudes or maybe even Italians (catesta will lap it up!) or maybe folk tunes crossing over into the realms of improvised music. And that is another nice thing: there is some stuff here that scratches the edges of what people are likely to call "jazz", stuff that moves in and out of that orbit, but that finds much in composed parts, in this case mostly depending on european folk songs. I like it.

Writing this little after-party part, I put on the Hannes Zerbe Blechband, which has a very similar approach of free folk and jazz improvisation, but leans heavily on the german folk tradition. This stuff runs deeper and wider than many would assume.

Thanks for the ride John. :tup

Ok, already one track that I have and did not recognize - #7. Will have to spin that disc again soon, I rememeber it as being really good, but it has been a long time since I gave it a listen.

John: spontaneous idea: Claudio Puntin playing the licorice stick anywhere?

een: Big bang for starters, promises cosmologic truths. The chaotic sections that follows is much like musicians of some big orchestra tuning their instruments before things go off for real, I have always liked that sound and it's nice to hear it here with a beat underneath. After some more organised chaos, there is this beautiful piano line that stems from Sogno d'Orfeu or something similar, which puts this in the Italian camp with the Instabile conglomerate. The flute is sweet, leading off like a funny rat catcher. One of the clarinets must be Trovesi, I reognise some of his lines. And there is that piano riff again! Really love that. Probably could identify some more of the players if I set to work on that, looking things up and comparing, but hey, there is too much else going on in this piece already. Love it how they set up some of the solo sections with double instruments. Two clarinets, two trombones. This whole piece is a big play, almost Shakespearian with too much ado and all of it at the same time and yet clearly organised. The setup I like a lot: obviously carefully composed parts trading off with solo sections. The riffing/melodic lines behind these solos are a great touch, playing with clichés and creating some nice tensions. Talking about clichés, I see the Mexicans dancing on the city wall already during the part that starts 9 or so minutes in. Yet the vamp is some folk tune I and I would not be surprised if there were a dance to this with people going in circles, changing partners and stumbling over too many feet. Makes you want to sing along (fiery sax to break that bubble halfway through). This gets very African towards the end. Spendid stuff. Great review of this track! You captured a lot of what I love about it.

twee: This is nice and mellow. Love how this just bounces along. Good rhythm section to make it feel that relaxed and let the piano go pretty wild in spots. Trumpet has nice things to say. Is it that Fresu guy? Yes, that is Fresu.

zeven: yay! Pino! Correct!

tien: Oh, didn't he ramble? Trovesi for sure doing his trad dittie, complete with bowed bass pretending to be a tuba! Great transition to the trumpet solo, things stumbling ahead, then the bass going into a steady vamp again, the clarinet throwing out candy and trumpet and trombone pestering about with some false teeth clacking to the rhythm in the back. Gotta love it. The upbeat to the trombone section is simply grand. Really love how this taps from one foot on the other, creating distinct moods, then mixing them.

I only have this in a live version which I have played to splinters. Looking forward to the answers and a pointer in the right direction. (One of the enja disks, right?) Correct on Trovesi, but the disc in question is on ECM.

elf: must be what they call "prepared piano", in other words someone throwing stuff about inside of it. heheheh. Quite nice with an oriental touch from hitting so many of the black keys/strings. More folk tunes then to finish it all off. Are these two guys or three? If it is only one on the piano, (s)he's working into a damn frenzy there. Probably better listened to than watched! Two guys, just one on the piano.

I'm glad you enjoyed the disc!

Thanks for the ride John. :tup

1. Now this is the way to start the compilation – the full orchestra blast. Unstable boys. While I am not a fan of large bands, this one is a favorite – every musician is an original (and many of them are very gifted composers). What always amazes me about Italians is their ability to create these great little melodies out of nowhere and invariable lightness of their music – even in the most “out” setting (not to say that this track is “out” or something). Nice macho flute. Bass clarinet – I like bass clarinets which are not too dolphied, and here is the man with original voice (and admirable technical ability). Flugelhorn solo is just a plain beauty. Being in a large a fairly tightly structured band has a downside of course – the solos would be quite short and would be limited by not-too-flexible orchestra’s accompaniment – the fact that musicians are coming with meaningful solo statements is very pleasing. Trombone solo is amazing. In general, every musician in the band is among the best players on his respective instrument. Sure, a bit of Italian romantic slightly cheesy piano – but not too overdone. And here we get some south Italian dance motifs. Pretty amazing how European jazz diverged from the US one (or was it ever uniform?) – these guys can do anything good American jazzman would be expected to do – swing, groove, play the blues, whatever – but they also bring in the heritage of the whole spectrum of the European music. What a punchy tenor solo! Cavalanti is the man! Great. My only quibble is the drummer’s playing – these booming drums are always way upfront and take a little from the lightness of the band’s sound. Gotta buy this disc – I don’t think I have it.

2. Hmm, some mellow stuff. Nice trumpet sound, nice piano (a good one, actually- Hank Jones, by chance?), nice rhythm section. Good, but not something I would be interested in listening to too often. Don’t find trumpeter’s ideas too interesting – he sounds quite lazy to me. Short enough.

3. No here is the man with ideas. Again, in addition to phenomenal (unmatched?) technique, the man has a great feeling for melody (better displayed on other tracks of this disc, IMO – this particular track is more “technically focused”), and customary Italian flair for both drama and self-irony (just pay attention to the way the track ends, for example). The guy used to play Sardinian bagpipe-like instruments, and it shows through this monster technique.

4. You don’t hear clarinet-drums duos too often, do you? ;) This is a good one… I like the dance Balkan pattern that drums lay down. Everything I said about Italian musicians above refers to the clarinetist here as well – melodism, lyricism, irony and integration of the folk music. I used to be very excited about this disc when I first heard it – now my enthusiasm has waned a bit, but still I feel this is some good stuff. The guy also plays some mean alto, and his other discs show great diversity – from some advanced funk (and I haven’t heard any other funk CD with clarinet as leading instrument) to more-or-less mainstream 60s bluenote-ish stuff to written chamber music.

5. More large band. This I am not sure I can identify – but the whole music sounds more Dutch to me than Italian – less lyricism and the humor is more perverted. OK, I think I know who this is – have been planning to explore his music for a long time now. Very cleverly constructed music, I’d say. Baritone saxophone is a nice touch … Even some marimba. Good drum sola. Trumpet is soaring – oh yeah! Again, talk about non-swinging Europeans… Great little menacing brass riff behind the trumpet! Shit, this trumpet is insane. The band is marching now. Tenor solo… - this is the tenor sound I like – sinister, gutsy and powerful. Good one. Again, I doubt there is much variation about how you can play a solo within the confines of the written (and busy) large band music, but this solo is very exciting. Oh, second tenor solo. Now, I am not too sure this was needed. This is a good solo (and also an excellent sound), but really follows closely the pattern of the first one – and here you definitely can hear that the guy is going through a certain routine. OK, again this funny motive, but I already got the idea – this is probably enough by now (at 13 minute mark, that is! – didn’t even notice it was that long till this moment). Excellent stuff, I would just have preferred it a couple minutes shorter.

6. Back to Southern Italy. I like this banda type of music. These tuba players surely are impressive. Oh, excellent violin/alto playing. Shit, was this voice? Impressive. I would have loved to hear more solos here in addition to this (excellent) bubbling accompaniment. Great. Is it this Banda disc on Enja with The Dutchman?

7. OK, here we are getting to a more American pattern of jazz. Excellent drumming. Hmm, I think there are only two guys who can play tenor like this – David S. Ware and Paul Dunmall. Not too interested in going back to their discs and checking who it is exactly right now. Can’t say I like the tenor solo too much – as I mentioned many times in The Rat, this sort of American 60s fire music tough spiritual playing does not sound very relevant today, IMO. Well played for sure, and beautiful tenor sound. I like the way the band builds the tension behind the solo. What the fuck, what’s that in the middle?!? Is this the same track or you John did some splicing? In any case, I like what this drums hooliganism (Han Bennink, by chance?), and not too interested in the trumpet – too clean for my tastes. Piano is also nothing special. Now we have the large band – OK, but again nothing extraordinary. Oh, cello. Really well-played, but just too much tongue-in-cheek (is this also Dutch?). OK, but nothing particularly spectacular.

8. Well, I have this track, but can’t remember where it is from. Another aspect of the European music – reference to the “classical” impressionism. Lovely. Beautiful clarinet solo and wonderful sound.

9. Now this is very American. Is it Shepp himself reciting? I assume this is this live disc on Terrones that I, incidentally, ordered a couple of weeks ago (still hasn’t arrived). Nice stuff, if a bit repetitive and very dated (with this electric piano and the whole funky thing).

10. Good trumpet solo. Funny pseudo-Dixieland… They didn’t play clarinet like this in Dixieland times, did they? Clarinet I like the most here. Trovesi? Good music, but being to a large extent in the same vein as track one it pales a bit in comparison to it.

11. Some prepared piano. With this sound it has nearly raga feel to it – and I like it. And with drums entering playing the tabla way it definitely becomes a raga! Funny enough, just yesterday listened to some Indian music. Could this be Van Hove and Bennink?

Thanks a lot of the BFT – some great music, and I am looking forward to reading the comments of the others and the answers.

It was fun reading your thoughts, D.D. I have to head out for the evening now, but will post my reply with which ones you got correct or partially correct tonight or tomorrow morning.

a few quick comments before I go:

On track #9 Shepp is not present at all.

Track #7 - Not Ware, not Dunmall, not Dutch. Bennink is not on this track, also.

Edited by John B

Have read the comments of the others - shame on me for not identifying the Battaglia/Oxley disc, since I have it and myself recommended it many times. Particularly shameful mis-identification of Oxley. Will go and listen to this disc right now.

Funny enough, I was listenig to some Fresu earlier today, and I had an idea of it being him on track 2 (keeping in mind obvious Milies-ish references), but thoughthis was too bland and clean to be him.

So this is not Breuker on track 5?

Looks like both ubu and I would have preferred seeing another Gebbia track chosen - this one migh leave impression of a machine type of guy. The disc is much more diverse than this track might hint at.

Again, thanks for a great BFT - reminded me that I have to order some more Italian music (or at least re-listen to what I have).

So this is not Breuker on track 5?

Looks like both ubu and I would have preferred seeing another Gebbia track chosen - this one migh leave impression of a machine type of guy. The disc is much more diverse than this track might hint at.

No, that is not Breuker.

One of the hardest decisions I had to make was which Gebbia track to choose. As you said, the disc is so diverse that only selecting one track can give a false impression of the disc as a whole.

Track #7 - Not Ware, not Dunmall, not Dutch. Bennink is not on this track, also.

Well, at least I identified it was tenor saxophone.

I'd be very surprised if you had not heard this disc (or even owned a copy) at some time, but I could be wrong.

I should also give you partial redit for track #9. Shepp does not appear on this track, but he did write the tune.

Edited by John B

knowing john b's association with the funny rat institution and his appreciation of straight-ahead material, I knew to expect a nice melange of styles and that is exactly what we got here - a nice balance.

one: this track was annoying at first because of its length. it just went on and on and on. but I really started to enjoy the indiscriminate horn jabs towards the end and the piano stuff in the middle. no friggin clue. but I am gonna guess some European cats I've never heard of.

two: when I heard the first note upon the first listen, I though Miles but after repeated listens, it is clearly not him. it could be so many cats. I think Terrell Stafford sometimes sounds like this (it may be terence blanchard but the tone is too bright for it to be him). it is so happy and fresh. it's recent given the recording quality. I like the piano comping style. It's a tune I know but I don't wanna peek. I wanna find it out on my own by listening more and more and hopefully hearing it somewhere else in a context where I know what it is.

three: I spent a lot of today and yesterday listening to this track over and over. I drove my roommate crazy and he enjoys free improv. Zorn, Berne, Evan Parker? I think these are all too obviously and the sounds and concept are different from all these guys and don't fit this dude. I REALLY DIG THIS TRACK. I really like how he develops his motif over such a long period of time while always staying interesting. There were times when I thought Andrew Lamb, but I don't think so because I've never heard him playing alto. And you can't ask for a cooler ending. Unless you're John Zorn maybe. This reminds me to tell people to check out Zorn's recent solo release from his 50th Birthday celebration "Classic Guide to Strategy Vol. 3." It is a solo sax orgy. Just the stuff he does with mouthpiece alone is fucking mind-blowing.

four: I really dig what these guys are doing here. no obvious choices come to mind for the clarinetist but I am thinking he is European. The drummer is almost certainly Hamid Drake. Just sounds like his style. As far as the trumpeter is concerned, I haven't a fucking clue. This clarinetist has serious chops. Marty Ehrlich? Breukker? I don't fucking know man....It's this kind of thing that makes me rethink my estimation that Don Byron is the best living clarinetist in jazz.

five: Tim Berne? I like this guy. He is a good example of an inside-outside player. The harmonic minor thing doesn't get stale. It's almost certainly not Zorn. I have the feeling this is a German thing - given the singing - like just a vibe I get. Its not Globe Unity Orchestra. It's not ICP. It might be a NY thing. It could be in the Radical Jewish Culture. The ensemble parts sound Eastern European. Woah. Nice drum solo. This drummer I definately need to check out if I haven't already heard of him or her. Trumpet player seems superficial to me. I like the alto player and drummer a lot more. The bari is a nice touch to the ensemble sound. not enough recordings have baritone sax (especially in free jazz circles). That reminds me that everyone here needs to hear Sonore (the sax trio with Gustaffson, Vandermark, and Brotzmann) and their album "No One Ever Walks Alone." I like those latin-like figures around the 10 minute mark and again at the 12 minute mark - totally unexpected. Man this track goes and goes. I still like it.

six: ok. I know almost nothing about jazz from italy except for gege telesforo and his crew, stefano di battista, and rosario giuliani. I don't care for this at all. Maybe its my current mood. I thought it was fresh the first time I listened to it. But the singer sounds too legit. Keeping the test balanced stylistically john!

seven: very rhythmically stimulating. uh-oh, not another gato barbieri track!!! ok I hope its not. could be brotzmann, perhaps Albert Mangelsdorff on tb, or Roswell Rudd. And then the track goes totally straight-ahead. I love this BFT. Wow. How the hell do they pull that off? Beautiful flugel sound! Great taste in note selection. Bassist is great - keeps time and keeps his embellishments simple. could this be Jerry Gonzalez? Kenny Wheeler? daresay Diego Urcola? no no no. I dunno. wow this just gets more and more confusing. I really like it a lot, but the beginning just throws all my guesses off. I think this is gonna be hotly debated if it hasn't already been ID'd. quite a bass solo. that shows some mean bowing technique. no cats but europeans have bowing technique like that. this is probably from italy too!!!

eight: wow. beautiful. no fucking clue. two beautiful clarinet players. or one with overdubbing?

nine:

eleven: interesting. this is something on tzadik I bet. it could be so many people. none of the chicago cats for sure. i wouldn't be surprised if some japanese artists are involved - Masashi Harada? I dunno. I like the quirky percussion when it starts building in intensity around the 2:15 mark. there's not enough information here to be sure of anything. Wow nice hi-hat work! This percussionist is good. Susie Ibarra? I don't know enough of the tzadik folks well enough to intelligently name-drop. Nice slow ending. The tension builds, releases, and slowly evaporates into nothingness.

if there is a theme here it might be italy or italian musicians.

four: I really dig what these guys are doing here. no obvious choices come to mind for the clarinetist but I am thinking he is European. The drummer is almost certainly Hamid Drake. Just sounds like his style. As far as the trumpeter is concerned, I haven't a fucking clue. This clarinetist has serious chops. Marty Ehrlich? Breukker? I don't fucking know man....It's this kind of thing that makes me rethink my estimation that Don Byron is the best living clarinetist in jazz. The drummer is not Hamid.  In fact, I don't think anyone who does not own this disc will be able to name him, as he is, to my mind, very obscure.  Not Ehrlich or Breuker on clarinet, either.

five: Tim Berne? I like this guy. He is a good example of an inside-outside player. The harmonic minor thing doesn't get stale. It's almost certainly not Zorn. I have the feeling this is a German thing - given the singing - like just a vibe I get. Its not Globe Unity Orchestra. It's not ICP. It might be a NY thing. It could be in the Radical Jewish Culture. The ensemble parts sound Eastern European. Woah. Nice drum solo. This drummer I definately need to check out if I haven't already heard of him or her. Trumpet player seems superficial to me. I like the alto player and drummer a lot more. The bari is a nice touch to the ensemble sound. not enough recordings have baritone sax (especially in free jazz circles). That reminds me that everyone here needs to hear Sonore (the sax trio with Gustaffson, Vandermark, and Brotzmann) and their album "No One Ever Walks Alone." I like those latin-like figures around the 10 minute mark and again at the 12 minute mark - totally unexpected.  Man this track goes and goes. I still like it.  I agree on Sonore - a fantastic disc.  I'll drop a hint here for people who have already guessed:  the baritone sax player here appears on two other tracks on this BFT, playing tenor both times, I believe.

seven: . this is probably from italy too!!! Correct!

eight: wow. beautiful. no fucking clue. two beautiful clarinet players. or one with overdubbing? Two clarinets here.

eleven: interesting. this is something on tzadik I bet. it could be so many people. none of the chicago cats for sure. i wouldn't be surprised if some japanese artists are involved - Masashi Harada? I dunno. I like the quirky percussion when it starts building in intensity around the 2:15 mark. there's not enough information here to be sure of anything. Wow nice hi-hat work! This percussionist is good. Susie Ibarra? I don't know enough of the tzadik folks well enough to intelligently name-drop. Nice slow ending. The tension builds, releases, and slowly evaporates into nothingness. No one from Japan here, and that is not Ibarra.  The drummer is a lot more well known that the piano player.

if there is a theme here it might be italy or italian musicians. Correct!

Great guesses! I really enjoyed reading your comments. You nailed the theme, too.

Well, at least I identified it was tenor saxophone.

I'd be very surprised if you had not heard this disc (or even owned a copy) at some time, but I could be wrong.

I should also give you partial redit for track #9. Shepp does not appear on this track, but he did write the tune.

Well, after all the hints that you guys provided, I identified this disc, and indeed I have it ( :winky: ). To my justification, I have listened to this disc only once nearly three years ago, and didn't like it too much (thought it was too artificial in the sense that too many things were meshed in there without coherence). Will listen to it today.

Guest Chaney

Great guesses! I really enjoyed reading your comments. You nailed the theme, too.

Sh*t! I was going to guess the Italian theme but thought it too obvious. (The solo Gebbia track was a dead giveaway, no?)

Hey, David, drop a hint on #5! No one has gotten close to identifying that one so far!

I gave a small hint in my response to cannonball-addict. David, feel free to provide hints if you can think of any that won't give away who the players are immediately.

John, this is your BFT, so it's your prerogative to give hints. Ubu and I will take all the speculative discussions off-line and will patriently ( :rhappy: ) wait for the answers.

Sh*t! I was going to guess the Italian theme but thought it too obvious. (The solo Gebbia track was a dead giveaway, no?)

Antonio, dove sono tui risposti?!?!?!

Sh*t!  I was going to guess the Italian theme but thought it too obvious.  (The solo Gebbia track was a dead giveaway, no?)

As is the name of the band on track #1. I tried to throw a few curveballs in the test that would make people doubt the Italian connection. Track #9, for example.

#4: The clarinet player sounds very similar to Mauro Negri. Well, I think it's him. At first I thought the drummer was Aldo Romano, but the piece I had in mind was a trio track with Negri, Romano and piano player Ronnie Lynn Patterson (from "Colours", Label Bleu). So, it must be that drummer from Slovenia that Marco used to play with, Zlatko Kaucic.

#5: The general ambiance of this track suggest to me the Enrico Fazio Septet, which has released two great CDs on Leo, strongly recommended. I am not home now, and so I cannot check, but it sounds dangerously like that group (Carlo Actis Dato, Sordini, Mandarini, Aroni Vigone, Fazio and a couple of others I can't remember now).

Great BFT, John. Thanks!

Luca

#4: The clarinet player sounds very similar to Mauro Negri. Well, I think it's him. At first I thought the drummer was Aldo Romano, but the piece I had in mind was a trio track with Negri, Romano and piano player Ronnie Lynn Patterson (from "Colours", Label Bleu). So, it must be that drummer from Slovenia that Marco used to play with, Zlatko Kaucic. Correct!  This is Negri with Kaučič.

#5: The general ambiance of this track suggest to me the Enrico Fazio Septet, which has released two great CDs on Leo, strongly recommended. I am not home now, and so I cannot check, but it sounds dangerously like that group (Carlo Actis Dato, Sordini, Mandarini, Aroni Vigone, Fazio and a couple of others I can't remember now). Correct again!  This is Fazio, but Sordini does not appear on the track.  The others you mention are all correct.

Great BFT, John. Thanks!

Luca