'Complete' Billie Holiday-Lester Young

pryan

While browsing the recent Cadence, I noticed a listing for this set on the Jazz Factory label. The description reads 2CDs, 42 cuts. I thought I read somewhere that this material took up 3 CDs, or maybe I'm mistaken and it was actually 3 LPs.

So my question is this: Does this Jazz Factory release contain all of the tracks, or just the masters? Also, is Jazz Factory a "shady" label (ie. not a legitimate company)?

Thanks in advance.

I can guarantee whatever is contained in their set is dubbed from Sony/Columbia sources.

These guys (Fresh Sounds/Definitive/Jazz Factory) are the sleaziest type around.

Fair enough, I won't order that set. Chuck, or anyone, what is the best way to acquire the complete Prez-Lady Day recordings, with alternate takes? I've heard there was a set out there, either on LP or CD.

what is the best way to acquire the complete Prez-Lady Day recordings, with alternate takes?  I've heard there was a set out there, either on LP or CD.

How complete?

The majority of Billie with Pres is included in the Sony / Columbia box alternates "n all. Probably the best tracks are here, but if you really want it all there are some broadcasts with Basie, Studio recordings on Decca.. just a couple of tracks I think. Some JATP on Verve and a couple of radio shots with the Lee Young band. Plus the Sound of Jazz recordings.

I don't think any bootleg or legit issues combines these in total. So the Sony /Columbia box is the best way to get most of it, possibily these are the tracks you are seeking. There's a lot of great music in the set that Pres does not play on, well worth the investment.

Edited by P.D.

Inquiring mind, two tracks by Billie Holiday with the Lester and Lee Young band

(with Jimmy Rowles on piano) appeared on volume 11 of the Billie Holiday Masters

of Jazz series (MJCD102).

They were recorded on January 6, 1942 at Billy Berg's in LA. These are not good quality

radio broadcats (and pretty short).

Pity Masters of Jazz went down under.

Holiday/Young intégrale

This is a link to a small french label's (Frémeaux) Complete (?) Holiday/Young release. They have a single CD, two CD and the above 3CD Lady Day/Prez compilation. They are not cheap rip-off (as definitive), I believe, but they don't have wide distribution, not even in Europe, it seems.

ubu

Inquiring mind, two tracks by Billie Holiday with the Lester and Lee Young band

(with Jimmy Rowles on piano) appeared on volume 11 of the Billie Holiday Masters

of Jazz series (MJCD102).

They were recorded on January 6, 1942 at Billy Berg's in LA. These are not good quality

radio broadcats (and pretty short).

Pity Masters of Jazz went down under.

Brownie did it for you

I too, wish Masters had continued.. especially the Wardell set

There's a couple of Lee & Lester recordings from the same or similar source, but without Holiday, on the Pres discs too.

Holiday/Young intégrale

This is a link to a small french label's (Frémeaux) Complete (?) Holiday/Young release. They have a single CD, two CD and the above 3CD Lady Day/Prez compilation. They are not cheap rip-off (as definitive), I believe, but they don't have wide distribution, not even in Europe, it seems.

ubu

Yes, that third set listed seems to be something that I would want, for now anyway. It says "Complete 1937-1946". Now I just have to figure out how to order it. It doesn't list a price when you click on the item.

PD- I'd love to get that Billie set but it's just too much for me right now. I think I'll have to settle for the 2 disc comp. of that set, in the meantime.

Edited by pryan

Hey Ubu, have you ordered from this place (the one in your link) before? The only thing I can get to come up is the form to fill out to obtain a catalogue.

pryan: no, but I once ordered their catalogue and receive it ever since (yearly). Seems they're a nice bunch of enthusiasts! Their main jazz thing might be their releasing the complete Django Reinhard recordings (still in progress).

I really don't know more, sorry! But maybe brownie does? Do try and send him a PM!

ubu

I can guarantee whatever is contained in their set is dubbed from Sony/Columbia sources.

These guys (Fresh Sounds/Definitive/Jazz Factory) are the sleaziest type around.

Chuck:

Are you sure Disconforme (Jazz Factory & Definitive Records) is the same thing that Fresh Sound? And Ocium?

I know this was discussed in another thread, but I can´t find it! (and I don´t know if we all reached an agreement)

EKE BBB, I think that Chuck is away on holidays now. No need to disturb him at this time.

Hope he is having a good time that should not be spoiled.

Any mention of Definitive/Jazz Factory gets an instant blast from him. I know and

have been hit a number of times.

If I got the situation right, Fresh Sounds and Disconforme/Definitive/Jazz Factory are

separate organizations. But each distribute the other's products.

They're all Spanish based (with Disconforme stating an adress in Andorra obviously

for legal reasons). The business of all these labels is run from Barcelona.

While Definitive/Jazz Factory releases CDs that are plain copies (ripoffs is the right

word) of sets that have been produced or prepared by other labels (Mosaic, Columbia,

RCA, Capitol and others) with no added alternates or any unreleased music,

Fresh Sounds is a much more interesting label. They have a large jazz and nonjazz

catalogue and they also produce their New Talent series which helps to introduce a

number of excellent young jazz musicians.

Fresh Sounds also has license to reissue albums from rare labels (Herald, Nocturne,

AudioFidelity and others).

The other Spanish label Ocium is in the same business of reissuing material that was

recorded more than 50 years ago, which is the legal norm in the European Community.

Ocium is more in the Chronogical Classics vein. They are issuing obscure and mostly

untapped material (Willie Smith, Sy Oliver, Mel Powell, Gene Ammons, Benny Green, Paul

Quinichette, Georgie Auld) although their Flip Phillips series is a near-copy of the Mosaic

set.

Ocium is releasing an Al Sears CD. Waiting to get that one. Can't get enough of this

tenorsax player since I heard him with the Johnny Hodges band (long before Mosaic

released that music in one of their early LP set).

Hey Ubu, have you ordered from this place (the one in your link) before?  The only thing I can get to come up is the form to fill out to obtain a catalogue.

pryan: no, but I once ordered their catalogue and receive it ever since (yearly). Seems they're a nice bunch of enthusiasts! Their main jazz thing might be their releasing the complete Django Reinhard recordings (still in progress).

I really don't know more, sorry! But maybe brownie does? Do try and send him a PM!

ubu

Thanks ubu, maybe I'll just order a catalogue and order it the "old fashioned" way.