BOBBY WATSON ?

jeffsjazz

no sense rehashing all that, but the only blakey band with wizznton j. frilliby that I really liked was the one that did Keystone 3. That was where it began to sound like a serious band to me, as opposed to heads and jams and jams and heads and all that and such. And I liked New York Scene better than that! And then, I don't know...might as well have put the overalls back on.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Leaving aside any discussion of Wynton and all that, let me just say that overalls are a seriously awful look on anyone at anytime outside of a literal farm. Don't do it. Just don't. No. A thousand times, no. This point is non-negotiable. 

Carry on ...

I'm with 100% here. Never been an overall fan except on infants because it's makes it easy to change their diaper.

20 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

I guess all the overalls haters live where the weather is warm year round, because here in the Midwest whe we can often spend double digit days with temperatures in the single digits on either side of 0, insulated overalls/coveralls can be downright mandatory if you plan on spending time outside. 

You need a new theory -- I am a hater who has lived in the Midwest my entire life, for the last 23 years in Detroit.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:23 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I just saw Bobby last week when he played with Ralph Peterson's Messenger Legacy band and he is still playing great. It still messes me up a bit how old he looks these days but then I look in a mirror and... well, I guess he doesn't look too old. :)

BTW - don't miss his latest recording, "Made In America", on Smoke Sessions, one of my current favorite record labels.

I saw him about a year ago in a Manhattan jazz club...more than "old".... what shocked me was how overweight he was.  I am not a fat shamer, but his weight gain looked unhealthy as he seemed to walk slowly.   Absolutely no effect on his playing or fingers which flew all over his horn.

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

People with a lot excess body weight can find comfort in overalls. Don't ask me how I know, just take my word for it, ok?

Suggestions for sources then?  I already live in the boonies. On the other hand 30 extra days above 90 this season makes overalls a little unappealing. :g

I default to Junior Samples.

157166258_junior-samples-and-archie-camp

and for real, wearing those crisp unfaded NEW looking overalls is not even a LITTLE cool. You gotta put the wear on them puppies before takin' 'em public. That's where Blakely fucked up. and then Wlynten didn't have the sense to say yo Bu, let's put some dirt in these fuckers, no, he said SUITS FOR ALL AND ALL FOR SUITS!!!

and see, that kid shoulda known better. ain't nobody in Louisiana too aristocratic to not know somebody cool who stay outside of town..