Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters... RELEASED!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome!

I hope you know I would tell you if I didn't like it. I think it's a drag when people tell me they like my music when I know they don't.

Fortunately, I really like it! :g

I really hope you guys can find some good management and.....

My wife is from Michigan. She keeps trying to get me to go out there for a visit. Maybe I can do that sometime and get to see you guys live. I don't imagine you'll be coming out to California anytime soon.

I hope the Metheny comparison is okay with you. That really was my initial thought upon hearing the album. I have been having fun trying to learn some of the guitar parts. My hands (and brain) are tired.

:rsmile:

I hope the Metheny comparison is okay with you. That really was my initial thought upon hearing the album.

Well, Pat's music has had probably the biggest influence on my outlook out of anything in the past 8 years. The only assurance I need to hear is that I don't sound like just a cheap imitation. I hate hearing that in other people's playing, but sometimes it's hard to get perspective on yourself. Funny story, and I'll try to keep it short; a few years back when Jim and I were in MSU's jazz program, we got to play for Branford Marsalis in a clinic type setting. Now, the whole thrust of the program at this time was for students to go back and really learn the styles of the past, in particular the big band era. The purpose being to get everyone grounded in the tradition, which is a good thing generally. Charlie Christian was my model, though Andrew Speight cut me some slack and let me listen to Grant and Wes.

So we played a couple of tunes, and after making some observations about things we were doing, he asks me who I'm listening to. I thought I'd be smart and give the "correct" answer: Charlie, Grant, and Wes. He says, "There's someone else. C'mon, you can 'fess up." Sheepishly, I answer, "Well, I've been listening to a lot of Pat Metheny the last couple of years." "YES YOU HAVE!" he says. He went on to say, "now, that's not a bad thing. I listen to Pat. Pat's a badass, but it's important to have a thorough knowledge of what came before, or else you tend to sound derivative. It's like these rock bands that want to play like Led Zeppelin, but don't go back and listen to the blues: they sound like Whitesnake!"

So, I went back and did some homework, which continues to this day. So please tell me that I'm not the jazz equivalant to Whitesnake!

And, I hope you do come our way sometime! :D

Edited by Joe G

Joe,

Great story! I don't think you sound derivative at all.

I'm not the biggest expert on organ trios, but I've never heard one like Organissimo. I think you guys have a foot in the past and a foot in the future. I have a buddy who's doing the organ trio thing. When I listen to his group's music, it seems like a bunch of rock and roll guys trying to do the jazz thing. It's just not authentic. When I listen to your cd, I feel like I'm listening to the real thing.

Hopefully, you'll find some good management, I see no reason why you shouldn't be successful.

:rsmile:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Review: Organissimo; Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters

This release can be summarized in one word; DEALIN'!!! This is one record I can spin over-and-over and it keeps on givin' out the good juju. With Jim Alfredson at the helm, these cats really burn-it-out with their smokin' brand of organ jazz seasoned with some hearty funk sauce! What a tasty beverage...! Nothin' kills me better than some fat tube-driven B-3 organ; soul stories humpin' out of a Leslie speaker. Jim's really done his homework, hittin' those licks and making mad mojo melodies on every track. Then consider the clean-as-a-broke-dilly-dog tone that Joe Gloss gets on his hollowbody. Man, he plays with a subtlety that makes me cry with holy annointing! And the shamanic skinsman Randy Marsh; what a wizard! That cat makes a cosmic noise with every slap of the stick and thump of the pedal. Always freshly creative with his lockdown, last-meal groovestyle. Guest artist Ron Blake lays it on thick with his tenor. In his signature Wu-Tang style, Ron conjures the Carribean sun. I'm tellin' you, this record swings hard! Organissimo delivers the tradition and on top of that, offers up some funk'd'fied odd meter; some delightfully stankalicious original music. Finger lickin'! Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters makes me want to give up being vegetarian and cook up something greaseyer-than-it-aughta-be! Maybe they'll come out with some soy-based chicken wangs, but untill then, I'll turn to Organissimo for my soul-food fix! Bravo, gentlemen! And crongratulations on your touring. I wish you continued opportunities to knock 'em dead! Y'all should be signed and worldwide, as of this posting.

Love Brotherly,

Ben "Funky Monk" Godoshian

music, lessons (never lessens)

Edited by funkymonk

Review: Organissimo; Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters

And the shamanic skinsman Randy Marsh; what a wizard!  That cat makes a cosmic noise with every slap of the stick and thump of the pedal.  Always freshly creative with his lockdown, last-meal groovestyle.  be signed and worldwide, as of this posting. 

Love Brotherly,

Ben "Funky Monk" Godoshian

music, lessons (never lessens)

" Go Ben go!!! I've never been decribed before with such verve! :g:excited::D

Edited by randissimo

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can get a copy or two of this without subscribing?  If anyone can pick up a couple copies for me that would be great.  I looked in 3 different stores in my area today and could not find Cadence.

I'll check with Schulers books... I'll call Jeff or Lou tomorrow....They most likely will have copies..

Edited by randissimo

There used to be a time when you could request a sample issue direct from Cadence (from the North Country people). It wasn't free, but the cost was relatively minimal - like $3. This was years ago, so perhaps their policy and/or costs have changed.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask. I plan to. I haven't seen an issue of Cadence in years, and feel like if there was ever one to see - it'd be this one!!!