$100 gift certificate

Hi guys,

My wonderful wife gave me a Mosaic gift certificate for my birthday last week. I'm torn between a couple items...

Trying to decide between the two latest Selects (Green & Weston) + a single disc or book from True Blue, or the Tristano/Konitz/Marshe.

These would be my first exposure to any of these guys. All of these sets seem to receive quite a bit of praise from posters here. I'm kinda leaning towards the Selects, but as AE is such a Warne fan, it's kinda got me intrigued as well.

Ah, such problems to have... :rolleyes:

Scott: the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh was my very first Mosaic, so many fond memories.

Then: do you have the Chico Hamilton? This is on the last chance list and definitely one to have if you like a close-knit west coast unit, swinging much harder than usually thought, and with Buddy Collette, Jim Hall, Paul Horn and John Pisano, there are some very good musicians aboard. And Hamilton himself is one of the great drummers of the west coast.

ubu

Edited by king ubu

I do have the Chico Hamilton set. I picked it up a month and a half ago as I was worried of missing out on it. Like it a lot, but it is much more "sober" than stuff from the East Coast of the same era. And I really dig the sound done by Malcolm Addey, who also did the Tristano box.

Tristano was really making waves, eh?

Edited by Parkertown

so it's clear: get the Tristano!

The solo and overdub stuff is really great great music!

The live sessin with Konitz is not successful in every way, but some tracks are very nice, too.

Then the Konitz/Marsh album is one of their greatest, I think, while the Konitz albums fall a little behind. The Marsh album is another good one, though with Philly Joe, it seems Warne is sometimes almost blown away...

On Hamilton: yes, it may be cleaner than other west coast stuff, but I think Chico is a marvellous drummer. His touch is so light yet he really drives the band in a terrific swinging manner. I got this with my second batch of Mosaics (I'm now back to buying only those that are running low - money won't allow much more, these days), and I like it a lot more than I expected.

ubu

Guest Chaney

Scott,

When it's my birthday, do you think your wife would give me a gift certificate?  It'd be really appreciated. :g  :excited:

Wonderful idea Brad.

I too would like to be placed into consideration as a possible recipient under the gift-from-Scott's-wife program.

By the way, get the Tristano Mosaic. (When in gOd'S name will this set be promoted to the rank on 'Running Low'?)

Scott,

When it's my birthday, do you think your wife would give me a gift certificate? It'd be really appreciated. :g:excited:

She really is a sweetheart... :wub:

One in a million!!! B)

Say, King Ubu: (or anyone)

What is your impression of Hamilton...as a leader? I can't get any real clear indication from the notes as to what made him a LEADER of this band, like Art Blakey was with his groups. As I'm so unfamiliar with this music, it hasn't revealed itself to me just by listening...

P.S. I think I am the very worst when it comes to derailing threads...even my own. :o

Scott, a most excellent gift from your wife. I'm seriously considering the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh set myself as an upcoming purchase. I have LEE KONITZ W/ WARNE MARSH single album on Koch Jazz, and enjoy it immensely. I'm pretty sure I've read comments from Jim Sangrey saying that this set is vital for those interested in any of these three musicians.

I wouldn't describe the LEE KONITZ W/ WARNE MARSH album as either east or west coast and not totally unique either. You just kind of have to hear it for yourself. It's got two "beboppers" in Kenny Clarke and Oscar Pettiford, as well as Sal Mosca on piano, and Billy Bauer on guitar.

This set, from browsing the discography, also has a good variety of settings, from solo piano to live club dates to tenor/bass/drum trios (w/ Paul Chambers, no less!)

I'd go for this also because of the fact that it will, most likely, go OOP before the two selects that you mentioned. I believe Larry Kart wrote the liner notes as well.

Definitely get the Tristano/Konitz/Maarsh. It's as ear-opener. I like JLarsen's reasoning as well. You can grab a Select any time. This is a special occasion purchase and the T/K/M set fits the bill in that regard.

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate. . .get the Capitol Classic Jazz Sessions box. It's 100 dollars off this way! :wacko:

Good idea, Lon! (though I have not yet come around to listen to all 12 CDs...)

Scott: I don't really know about Hamilton as a leader. I guess that the sound the band as a whole gets is Chico's. He might be too subtle to put his mark on the band (as say Art Blakey or Max Roach did), but I do like this band-"concept" of Hamilton's a lot.

ubu

I'd say that the swing feel (the use of dynamics, that pulse that Chico has and the fact that he is either never soloing or always soloing) and the general exploratory direction of these groups in the Hamilton Mosaic is really his leadership signature. All his groups forward had a "fusion" aspect to them---not necessarily of rock music alone, but of classical chamber music, etc. I truly like his groups, and usually I found that another musician in the group gave the music a direction, for example in the PJ material the cellist, in the Columbia and Impulse Charles Lloyd as music director, in his most recent groups I think the guitarist, etc. This is not unlike the way that Golson and Shorter and Walton and others shaped the direction and signature of the Blakey groups.