new CD trays where the center hole grip is solid

skeith

Several posters have commented on these and please excuse my inarticulate description, but I hope you know what I am talking about.

It seems Verve and BMG releases in digipaks have gone to these and it is so hard to get the cd off of it, you practically have to bend it in half.

Does anyone know if they sell trays to replace these solid ones that have teeth and whether it is hard to replace without tearing up the paper under the tray.

This can also come in handy for those of us who wish to replace broken trays in those digipaks.

I'm not sure I have any of the types of packaging you're describing (haven't been buying much lately), but I seem to remember that you could press on the center of the 'solid' spindel, and it would release the CD slightly. Is the spindle totally solid?? - or does it have radial gaps in it??

Worth a try...

My copy of Dorothy Ashby's Afro Harping suffers from this affliction. Aggravating. :rmad:

The spindle is TOO solid to press at all. I have to pry the cd out and bend it as described.

Edited by Noj

I'm not sure I have any of the types of packaging you're describing (haven't been buying much lately), but I seem to remember that you could press on the center of the 'solid' spindel, and it would release the CD slightly.  Is the spindle totally solid?? - or does it have radial gaps in it??

Worth a try...

The spindle is more solid, not teeth.. it resembles a spring type washer in appearance.. It is not the press and release type found in many DVD cases.

Give me Old Fashioned, repairable jewel cases anytime.. they store better, stand up to wear better, and can be replaced better than any of the artsy fartsy digi pak / mini LP rubbish

Question..... Why was Verves Mini Lp of the Brubeck Desmond duets.. bigger than their other mini LPs????

Edited by P.D.

Does anyone else have trouble with those slim line double cases, the ones with the hinged trays. I always find that it's a struggle getting the cds off the tray, it's especially bad with the second cd where the tray isn't held by the case. The cds flex alarmingly before I can get them off.

Question..... Why was Verves Mini Lp of the Brubeck Desmond duets.. bigger than their other mini LPs????

Alice Coltrane's "Universal Consciousness" is larger than most of the others as well. I think this was an attempt to completely mimic the size and feel of the original lp. The one for Dizzy's "Afro" is really much more thin and flimsy than any of the others. They even try to duplicate the original paper stocks used...

As Stefan mentioned elsewhere I too haven't had a problem with these new Verve digipaks in removing the cds. . . I sort of spin them out of there rather easily.

I haven't bought any of these new batches yet, but the Impulses et al from the last batch are great releases as far as music goes!

The nice thing is that the CD doesn't fall out of these newer contraptions. I have a lot of older jewel cases where after the CD has been put in and out of the case a few times, it gets too loose and WILL fall out. That seems pretty hazardous to the disc's health to me! :D

I call this the "button" spindle and have just noticed it on some of the new Verve digipaks. I much prefer the semi-flexible tines on the traditional spindle because you can always press in on them to get the thing to let go of a tightly-held CD. You can't do a thing with the "button." Of course, the tines sometimes crack and fall out, but nothing's perfect. I personally haven't had any trouble with the button spindles on the digipaks so far, but with my luck... :unsure:

Edited by BruceH

• 4 weeks later...

The nice thing is that the CD doesn't fall out of these newer contraptions. I have a lot of older jewel cases where after the CD has been put in and out of the case a few times, it gets too loose and WILL fall out. That seems pretty hazardous to the disc's health to me! :D

I like the solid center vs. the teeth method. The teeth seem to break after usage. Then with a digi pack design, you won't be able to replace the tray that holds the CD. So it better be strong.

What I hate about the design of jewel cases is that if you drop a jewel case the CD will fall out. (and of course the hinges break) The jewel case should protect the CD. If the CDs are inside tightly, then maybe they won't fall out with an accident.

I guess those paper sleeves over the jewel case helps to secure the CDs inside.