*****Wadada Leo Smith*****

king ubu

Been downloading and burning the above links today. Fun stuff.

FWIW, I received an email from John Litweiler telling me "The Art Ensemble of Chicago for the foreseeable future is a quartet of Leo Smith, trumpet ; Roscoe Mitchell, saxes; Jaribu Shadid, bass; Don Moye,

percussion.

I'd see/buy cd's from this lineup in a heartbeat :excited:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Brought this thread up to celebrate Wadada Leo Smith. His output over the past decade or so appears incredibly diverse.

Despite my comments above (from 2005) I recently got and really enjoyed Heart's Reflections - Cunieform 2CD. Clearly comes from electric Miles but has it's own sound. Any one heard Tabligh by his more recent version of the Golden Quartet?

Yes - IMHO Tabligh is absolutely wonderful...Ronald Shannon Jackson is on really fantastic form: as, it goes without saying, are Wadada and Lindberg. This band is also my favourite context for Iyer, FWIW...If you can find it, track down the La Huit documentary of this group's performance at the Banlieues Bleues a few years back...some taster clips on Youtube, if I remember right...

...If you can find it, track down the La Huit documentary of this group's performance at the Banlieues Bleues a few years back...some taster clips on Youtube, if I remember right...

I caught a broadcast of this on Mezzo and I agree that it's well worth the time. So the album's as good? I will pick up a copy sometime then.

...If you can find it, track down the La Huit documentary of this group's performance at the Banlieues Bleues a few years back...some taster clips on Youtube, if I remember right...

I caught a broadcast of this on Mezzo and I agree that it's well worth the time. So the album's as good? I will pick up a copy sometime then.

Well I wouldn't want to compare, but will definitely stand by my recommendation of Tabligh :)

The latest incarnation of the Golden Quartet has Angelican Sanchez on piano, and Pheeroan AkLaff on drums...now *he* will sound spectacular in that band IMHO...

Wonderfully warm person and strong (in the best sense) player.

One of my favorite humans.

I had the privilege of working with Wadada for a week towards the end of last year, and want to echo this...he was extremely generous with time, advice etc. throughout, added to which, he was simply a great guy to spend time with...and of course, the recorded evidence speaks for itself - one of the *great* trumpet players.

Edited by Alexander Hawkins

many years ago when I lived in New Haven there was a yearly city jazz series that hired nothing but white bands for years - so I filed a Civil RIghts complaint with the city which, miraculously, went to a hearing - Leo was a co-respondent. We didn't really win, but after that year they started to integrate the fest. Wasn't great, but everybody was tired of the Jimmy Dorsey/Tommy Dorsey/Glenn Miller/ we-are-all-dead festival.

I remember seeing him and Marion Brown playing together in New Haven, somewhere in the 1976 or 1977 time frame. He was around the area occasionally in those days.

many years ago when I lived in New Haven there was a yearly city jazz series that hired nothing but white bands for years - so I filed a Civil RIghts complaint with the city which, miraculously, went to a hearing - Leo was a co-respondent. We didn't really win, but after that year they started to integrate the fest. Wasn't great, but everybody was tired of the Jimmy Dorsey/Tommy Dorsey/Glenn Miller/ we-are-all-dead festival.

Well I wouldn't want to compare, but will definitely stand by my recommendation of Tabligh :)

The latest incarnation of the Golden Quartet has Angelican Sanchez on piano, and Pheeroan AkLaff on drums...now *he* will sound spectacular in that band IMHO...

Thank you, Alexander. I will pick up the album. I don't imagine I'll see that latest incarnation, or any other ensemble making music in this broad area, anytime soon in Singapore so albums are the only way to go for me.

• 2 years later...

A new recording is being released on Tum Records in the fall -- The Great Lakes Suites. The line up -- a quartet: Wadada Leo Smith, Henry Threadgill, John Lindberg and Jack DeJohnette. It appears that it will be a double album. There is also a preview of a track from the album here.

It's great. Be sure to hear Smith's other Tum CDs, too.