AOTW June 14-20: Ted Curson "Tears for Dolphy"

TED CURSON - TEARS FOR DOLPHY (Fontana 1964 / Arista-Freedom 1970s)

This week's Album of the Week is a rather auspicious set recorded by the 1964 quartet of trumpeter Ted Curson, "Tears for Dolphy." Recorded in Copenhagen during a well-received European tour, the album features tenorman/clarinetist Bill Barron (pianist Kenny's brother and a regular foil for Curson during this period), as well as bassist Herb Bushler and drummer Dick Berk for a romp through odd meters ("7/4 Funny Time" being the most obvious), Berk keeping a strong forward accent, and dissonant head arrangements that seem to mark a turning point in Curson's music.

The group met with extraordinary popularity, overstaying a gig at Paris' Blue Note club from two months to six before the musicians' union essentially kicked them out of the country, the Curson-Barron quartet did meet with some hostility for, ironically, the use of a white rhythm section. This was especially true in Holland, where, according to Curson, the German drummer and Jewish bassist were routinely booed and catcalled.

Echoes of Curson's previous employers Mingus and Cecil Taylor are here, not to mention the freebop aesthetic that would inform his work with the New York Contemporary Five (replacing for a time Don Cherry) and Archie Shepp. Curson is somewhat of a missing link between the ephemeral quality held by Miles and the stabbing brilliance of Booker Little, a rare example of brassy bravura in an age marked more by the saxophone's sway.

I will be posting some excerpts from an interview I did with Ted that will elucidate both what this record signifies, and Ted's experiences in the '60s. In the meantime, please post your comments on this somewhat underrated session here.

Bill Barron has a few dates as leader for Savoy that, I think, have been reissued on CD in Japan. The original titles were "The Tenor Stylings of Bill Barron," "The Hot Line" (w/ Booker Ervin) and "Modern Windows." A good further entree into Barron's playing, which was apparently (along with Gilmore and, later, Ayler) a major influence on Coltrane.

I don't think I've heard much of Curson that really is a 'blowing vehicle,' which puts him in a different league than some of his contemporaries (i.e., free-leaning hardbop trumpeters). The opener, "Kassim," slayed me on first hearing, that tidal wave of rhythm from Berk, with extraordinary weight placed on the 'one,' just surges in ways one rarely hears - plus, that slinky tango-like theme dancing atop makes it unforgettable. Following it, then, is a down-and-dirty blues, "East 6th Street," which makes for a perfect about-face.

It's funny, "Tears For Dolphy" isn't really a lament (as Jackie Mc's "Poor Eric"), but a joyous celebration of improvisational art at a fulcrum of one of the music's most vibrant decades.

I think that Urge is on CD - Fontana PHCE 1008 (1990). If someone could supply composer credits for that stuff for the Edgar Bateman discography on my website, I'd be grateful.

Mike

I don't have the Japanese CD, but have a Japanese LP. On that, all tunes ("Roy's Boys"; "Cinq Quatre"; "Musis Sacrum"; "The Leopard"; "Latino") are credited to Ted Curson, with the exception of "You Don't Know What Love Is" - D. Raye/De Paul.

We are getting ready to move house and this one was packed away. But I thought I'd dig it out and give it a play. I'm glad I did. This is a superb record, so good that I played it again straight off. Curson is on top form imo but the real pleasure for me is the large helping of Barron (also on great form) and the interplay and riffing from Curson. The bass and drums are not spectacular but they do everything necessarry to keep the music moving along.

I was listening to the Black Lion version by the way.

Thanks for suggesting this one Clifford Thornton, AOTW is alive and kickin'.

This must have been among my first 50 or so jazz LPs - once a week while my parents shopped groceries, I thumbed through the cutout bins of some record shop near by.

I always wondered why Curson didn't make it a little bigger - isn't he in the same league as Johnny Coles or Richard Williams? I have four of his LPs from that time, and also remember his very good playing on Mingus Presents Mingus on Candid. Just on the edge between outside and inside playing. The title track is one of the most moving tributes to Dolphy ever done.

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...

I was referring to the US scene - who remembers him there - besides experts on this board?

Well, stay assured the only swiss jazz fan remembers him and likes this album discussed here a lot! Other than that I have his Terrones/Marge/Blue Marge whatever label disc, "Cattin'" - not as fine, but good enough!

• 4 years later...

I was referring to the US scene - who remembers him there - besides experts on this board?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, stay assured the only swiss jazz fan remembers him and likes this album discussed here a lot! Other than that I have his Terrones/Marge/Blue Marge whatever label disc, "Cattin'" - not as fine, but good enough!

Spin TFD right now and it's being played in two Swiss locations at the same time.

Edited by rockefeller center

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spin TFD right now and it's being played in two Swiss locations at the same time.

Sorry I missed this yesterday... was home completely exhausted from work, zapping around and watching boring football on TV <_<